ooo-ooo that air conditioner smell!

islanderjeeper

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Just an update. Had my core replaced. So far complications have been scratched trim, tech forgot to reconnect the neg battery cable and shorted out the entire auto stop system including the secondary battery and fuses for the start system, and today a fault code requiring replacement of the ESIM. Not including the battery screw up, this is strike two. One more and it’s going for buyback lemon status. Love my Wrangler, but so far it’s been a three month pain in the ass. Jeep customer care is negotiating compensation though, so I can’t say they aren’t being fair about it.
Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Better than mine reeks like rotten feet when u turn on the ac to max
Try turning off the AC a few minutes before shut down and parking with windows open if possible. You have a mold issue.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Try turning off the AC a few minutes before shut down and parking with windows open if possible. You have a mold issue.
Replaced with a 2019...no smell in this one

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Just an update. Had my core replaced. So far complications have been scratched trim, tech forgot to reconnect the neg battery cable and shorted out the entire auto stop system including the secondary battery and fuses for the start system, and today a fault code requiring replacement of the ESIM. Not including the battery screw up, this is strike two. One more and it’s going for buyback lemon status. Love my Wrangler, but so far it’s been a three month pain in the ass. Jeep customer care is negotiating compensation though, so I can’t say they aren’t being fair about it.
But is the smell gone? Had another member here went through entire heater core replacement, but smell remained.

Last edited:

Sponsored

khat

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
With Christmas and New Year's Day holidays, it took 3 weeks to get my Jeep back. They replaced the heater core and the smell is gone. So far I do not see any problems with the removal and replacement of the dash. I have asked Jeep Cares to give me an extended warranty on the electrical components or anything else having to do with removing the dash from the car but I have not received a response to that as of yet. I have had it back for just 3 days now but so far I am happy with the repair.

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
It is! Completely. Thank god!
I have 750 miles on my 2018 JLU Sahara. Made a short trip to the gas station for an energy drink. On the way back I started smelling something burning in the interior and it dissipated before I got home.

Once I got out of the car I could smell it again. I didn't leave the e-brake up so I know that isn't it. I waited 10 minutes, drove a couple blocks and back home. Nothing in the interior, but a sweetish smell when I bent over and smelled near the grille?

Is this possibly the same issue?

islanderjeeper

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Yes, sounds like it, most unfortunately. Please read all posts here. Give it another day and make sure your smell maple syrup when heat is on. If you confirm again, follow my suggestions on previous posts (take it off the road at the dealer, insist on a loaner and claim that areaolised coolant is toxic, open a case with fca, and please file an online complaint with the ntsb). Ask questions here and keep others updated.

I have 750 miles on my 2018 JLU Sahara. Made a short trip to the gas station for an energy drink. On the way back I started smelling something burning in the interior and it dissipated before I got home.

Once I got out of the car I could smell it again. I didn't leave the e-brake up so I know that isn't it. I waited 10 minutes, drove a couple blocks and back home. Nothing in the interior, but a sweetish smell when I bent over and smelled near the grille?

Is this possibly the same issue?

PunknPi

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito 2.0
Tomorrow will be a full week in the shop with no update on mine. I'm going to call and see whats up

islanderjeeper

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Sorry to hear that. Sure hope you have a loaner. Comments: 1) do you have an FCA case and case manager assigned - they can often keep pressure on the shop if need be to be expediting the job and 2) know that this is a 5 day job. While it’s only really a 2.5 day job in labor max, since this is so rarely done on any new car On mine they didn’t know that one of the steering wheel bolts (yea the steering wheel is apparently removed and reinstalled) was one time use so at the end of the job they had to order this bolt which of course took two days. In total mine was off the road for 7 days total including a weekend. As is my advice for this job to anyone 1) thoroughly inspect ALL components of your dash, console, steering wheel trim - like fine tooth comb. My steering wheel came back with three scratches on the trim which I made them replace and 2) do NOT sign for the job and take the car back until you test drive it on street and highway checking for any rattles or vibrations that can occur from a piece of the dash being put back together (per other forum respondent) and 3) for the love of God inspect your engine compartment before you sign for the job. My battery cable wasn’t put back on correctly and it wound up shorting out the entire auto-start system, resulting in another 10 days off the road in repairs (but I attribute that to a total fluke and an idiot factor). Good luck and continue to share your experience on this there’s many Wrangler owners out there going through the same issue!

Sponsored

PunknPi

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito 2.0
Sorry to hear that. Sure hope you have a loaner. Comments: 1) do you have an FCA case and case manager assigned - they can often keep pressure on the shop if need be to be expediting the job and 2) know that this is a 5 day job. While it’s only really a 2.5 day job in labor max, since this is so rarely done on any new car On mine they didn’t know that one of the steering wheel bolts (yea the steering wheel is apparently removed and reinstalled) was one time use so at the end of the job they had to order this bolt which of course took two days. In total mine was off the road for 7 days total including a weekend. As is my advice for this job to anyone 1) thoroughly inspect ALL components of your dash, console, steering wheel trim - like fine tooth comb. My steering wheel came back with three scratches on the trim which I made them replace and 2) do NOT sign for the job and take the car back until you test drive it on street and highway checking for any rattles or vibrations that can occur from a piece of the dash being put back together (per other forum respondent) and 3) for the love of God inspect your engine compartment before you sign for the job. My battery cable wasn’t put back on correctly and it wound up shorting out the entire auto-start system, resulting in another 10 days off the road in repairs (but I attribute that to a total fluke and an idiot factor). Good luck and continue to share your experience on this there’s many Wrangler owners out there going through the same issue!
I just called this morning. He said the guy is backed up and they haven't even looked at it yet. It's been 7 days (6 with sunday) and it has not been looked at? I just got done filing an fca complaint. This wouldn't be a big deal if he was honest in the first place, but he said 4-5 days for it to be completed. Not to mention how rude the guy was when I called asking for a simple update. I may just go pick it back up...

If you're in Houston, I do not suggest River Oaks for repairs

islanderjeeper

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Get it outta there! This is a huge job and you don’t want it done at a place that’s got some obvious lack of professionalism. I drove out of my way to go to a dealer with good online reviews (even though they still f-Ed up the job in the end).

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
The smell in mine eventually went away or became bearable for the most part. I'll let you know how all that went if I come down with cancer from sucking up aerosolized antifreeze! :)

islanderjeeper

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
The smell in mine eventually went away or became bearable for the most part. I'll let you know how all that went if I come down with cancer from sucking up aerosolized antifreeze! :)
yea I wouldn’t play around with that. Mine came and went a bit to but more came than went!
Sponsored