What options are worth it?

Garbear

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and wanted to say Hi! I currently don't have a car because I am deployed but I am going to buy a JLU when I get back to the states. I will most likely purchase a Rubicon but I wanted to know from everyone what options are actually worth the money to getting. I know this is heavily opinion based but my friend has the alpine in his 17 JKU and it doesn't sound that great for the price. I don't have deep packets so trying to save where I can and go aftermarket if needed. Also should I wait for the 2.0 Turbo or pick up a 3.6 now?
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Options are a personal choice, My Rubicon I decided I wanted all the available options available. But its your choice your money your vehicle so. If you listen to others and not get an option based on their opinion you could end up with buyers remorse.

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver
The ones you want are the ones that are worth it. It's your Jeep get what you want not what the forum tells you to get.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If I could afford a Rubicon, I wouldn't add a single option. The Rubicon already has what a guy needs, and every option FCA is selling for the JL is excessively over priced.

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I went with LEDs, leather (I have a 2 yr old), 8.4 uconnect (comes with alpine) and premium soft top. More than I originally wanted to spend, but hey it’s only money; they will print some more.;)

Sponsored

KillaRubi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
IT
Value is perception. Personally, LED's are worth it because aftermarket headlights (in my experience), end up burning out faster or have issues, or never look quite right. fiance wanted heated seats, so if shes happy, that is valuable. And infotainment since for an extra 150$ you get a bigger screen and nav,. the smaller screen was too small.. also, I always do upgraded factory audio system because people rarely try to steal them vs aftermarket, and looks cleaner. but those are just my opinions.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
I've thought a lot about this topic and here's how I'm ordering... Please take everything as "IMHO"

Must haves: (for me)
8-speed auto trans
LED lighting
Trailer tow package (you get the aux switches with this and I will be towing)
Steel bumper group (probably only a nice-to-have but I'm getting them anyway)
Electronic Infotainment (larger UConnect screen, NAV, includes Alpine system and I like music)

Nice-to-haves: (I won't be ordering these)
Leather seats - (Overprice at $1500 and I can change out cloth for Katzkin later if needed)
Active Safety group (you still get the backup camera, the cross-traffic and back-up sensors/warnings are nice but I can turn my head)
Cold weather group (I have these features in my GC, I live in San Diego and hardly ever use them, if you don't get this you'll pay for remote start separately if you want it.)
Remote start (I would definitely get this if I lived in a cold weather climate)
Proximity keyless entry (I can use the button on the key fob just as well)
All-weather floor mats (I'll buy the Mopar ones with the red accents after the fact)

Definitely NOT:
Wheels with polished lips (I like the look of these wheels but only slightly more than the standard wheels, not worth the $900 upcharge)
Hardtop headliner - (Will add something like this later, from Hothead or the like.)
Smokers group (don't smoke, $30 for an ashtray?)
Trail rated kit (overpriced)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I pretty much ordered them all, but these were the must-haves for me:

- Infotainment (upgraded Alpine)
- LEDs
- Tow (for the Aux switches)

Aftermarket radio market is going to take a while to catch up. LED aftermarket seems like a giant PITA (so many people have issues), and I think the stock ones are reasonably priced for what you get. Aux switches are a no-brainer, to me.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've thought a lot about this topic and here's how I'm ordering... Please take everything as "IMHO"

Must haves: (for me)
8-speed auto trans
LED lighting
Trailer tow package (you get the aux switches with this and I will be towing)
Steel bumper group (probably only a nice-to-have but I'm getting them anyway)
Electronic Infotainment (larger UConnect screen, NAV, includes Alpine system and I like music)

Nice-to-haves: (I won't be ordering these)
Leather seats - (Overprice at $1500 and I can change out cloth for Katzkin later if needed)
Active Safety group (you still get the backup camera, the cross-traffic and back-up sensors/warnings are nice but I can turn my head)
Cold weather group (I have these features in my GC, I live in San Diego and hardly ever use them, if you don't get this you'll pay for remote start separately if you want it.)
Remote start (I would definitely get this if I lived in a cold weather climate)
Proximity keyless entry (I can use the button on the key fob just as well)
All-weather floor mats (I'll buy the Mopar ones with the red accents after the fact)

Definitely NOT:
Wheels with polished lips (I like the look of these wheels but only slightly more than the standard wheels, not worth the $900 upcharge)
Hardtop headliner - (Will add something like this later, from Hothead or the like.)
Smokers group (don't smoke, $30 for an ashtray?)
Trail rated kit (overpriced)
This is a good list and I would agree with most of this.
I also only took the "Must haves" without the steel bumpers since I was planning to get aftermarket bumpers.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I pretty much ordered them all, but these were the must-haves for me:

- Infotainment (upgraded Alpine)
- LEDs
- Tow (for the Aux switches)

Aftermarket radio market is going to take a while to catch up. LED aftermarket seems like a giant PITA (so many people have issues), and I think the stock ones are reasonably priced for what you get. Aux switches are a no-brainer, to me.
Exactly what I did as well.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly did not get many options on my Wrangler JLU Sahara ( chose from dealer stock and wallet) but don’t regret anything as I just love the fact that I got a Wrangler

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and wanted to say Hi! I currently don't have a car because I am deployed but I am going to buy a JLU when I get back to the states. I will most likely purchase a Rubicon but I wanted to know from everyone what options are actually worth the money to getting. I know this is heavily opinion based but my friend has the alpine in his 17 JKU and it doesn't sound that great for the price. I don't have deep packets so trying to save where I can and go aftermarket if needed. Also should I wait for the 2.0 Turbo or pick up a 3.6 now?
There are some (probably lots) that will never use or need the off-road capability of a Rubicon, but enjoy the creature comforts of the highest trim level.

I haven’t heard anything bad about any of the OEM options available on all trim levels, I think some would like leather to be available in the sport trim level but other than that you can pretty much pick what you want, comes down to what you like.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I bought from what was on the lot, that said my must haves were Rubicon, 4 door, hard top, tow package and LED lighting package. I got all that plus the safety package (like it now that I have it), leather (love it), Alpine system but not the biggest screen (don't miss it) and headliner (meh, it was already there).

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition
Thanks for your service. An easy way to save a bunch of money would be to go with the Sahara or Sport instead of the Rubicon. You live in FL...the highest part of land in the state are speed bumps :)

I'd also go with the 3.6 over the 2.0, but that's just me.
Sponsored