Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I currently drive a Duramax so i all ready know the benefits of a diesel. I used to have a chevy 350 powered YJ so I know how fun a Jeep with power is. And I want a new Jeep that's the best of all world's. The JLU Rubicon diesel looks perfect to me.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
The 3.6 is a sold, proven engine
I can order it today
I can get a manual
Modern diesels are sensitive to poor fuel, or water in fuel - don't want that in Central and South America travels

Sponsored

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
The 3.6 is a sold, proven engine
I can order it today
I can get a manual
Modern diesels are sensitive to poor fuel, or water in fuel - don't want that in Central and South America travels

just up grade the filtration system it wont be a problem

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Pent, unless the HP on the turbo is true.

VA6489

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 4x4 diesel, 56 f100 4x4, soon my first "new Jeep"
Seriously looking at the 3.0 Diesel but not sold on the idea. Lived with diesels for many years lots of low end grunt and better fuel mileage. Down side is cost. with initial costs at $30K for a JLU add another 10 for a Rubicon.... Not sure if yet another 10K is worth the cost. Perhaps a 3.6 would be a better way to go. Lower fuel costs Regular vs Diesel not sure if the fuel economy figures for a diesel JLU would make up the difference. the 4:1 t case give lots of grunt at low speed... negating the need for diesel torque. I see the real benefit to a diesel on the road, how far do you have to drive to make the initial investment payoff with an average delta between Regular Gas and Diesel at $0.40 a gallon. Driving a Ram 3500 with a Cummins power plant the delta between gas and diesel is 8-9 miles per gallon not bad for a 10,000# truck. If the fuel figures for a diesel JLU with 35s sort out to 30ish on the road vs 16ish gas, then it might be worth a look.
Todays diesels are not built to go 1 million miles. With EPA mandated EGR systems pouring soot back into the intakes this not only lowers fuel mileage but lessen longevity as well. My deleted Ram went from 13 MPG average to 19MPG average empty a significant gain. The VM motor has the EGR system built into the heads if I remember correctly so it can't be deleted. Then there is always the need for DEF.... run out the motor goes into a limp home mode.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
2.0 Turbo.

Why? More torque than Pentastar with a far lower cost and cost to own than EcoDiesel.

Plus, modern turbo engines get HUGE power gains with a simple tune.

Pentastar will continue to be a low-torque engine that feels 1995, while the EcoDiesel will continue to be accessible only to the wealthy.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
2.0 Turbo.

Why? More torque than Pentastar with a far lower cost and cost to own than EcoDiesel.

Plus, modern turbo engines get HUGE power gains with a simple tune.

Pentastar will continue to be a low-torque engine that feels 1995, while the EcoDiesel will continue to be accessible only to the wealthy.
I'm holding out for the 3.0l in a 2 door Rubicon. hopefully available with the manual. I know, I know; I've read where it's only coming with the auto tranny and the JLU. Has there been any official word from FCA where this is a reality?

I wouldn't get too excited about the 2.0l turbo compared to the Pentastar. My wife's Mercedes '17 GLC300 4matic was just purchased with a 2.0l turbo with similar HP and torque as our outgoing GLK350 4matic V6. The V6 was hands down the better engine. The turbo is too high strung, not smooth. You need gradual power not instantaneous tire spinning mud slippery traction. Yes there will be traction control but when you're crawling over rocks you want smooth, even, easily applied torque. I guess the mall crawlers will be happy with the turbo.

What is that supposed to mean "that feels 1995"? I will be selecting the Pentastar if the diesel option for my requirements fall through.

Sponsored

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
I will be ordering around spring of next year... if the diesel is available by then, I'll consider it if not too expensive. Otherwise 3.6 Pentastar is fine for me.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
I wouldn't get too excited about the 2.0l turbo compared to the Pentastar. My wife's Mercedes '17 GLC300 4matic was just purchased with a 2.0l turbo with similar HP and torque as our outgoing GLK350 4matic V6. The V6 was hands down the better engine. The turbo is too high strung, not smooth. You need gradual power not instantaneous tire spinning mud slippery traction. Yes there will be traction control but when you're crawling over rocks you want smooth, even, easily applied torque. I guess the mall crawlers will be happy with the turbo.
You're not accounting for the BSG in the Hurricane. It will feel like a bigger engine than it is because of that instant application of torque from the electric motor.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered my red Unlimited Rubi today...3.6 with the manual! Can't wait to hear which specific manual transmission it is.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
the EcoDiesel will continue to be accessible only to the wealthy.
I think you’re confused, not only about the other stuff, but..

The Wealthy will get a custom build like the Rezvani , the Rich will get a HEMI, the Well-off will get the Eco-Diesel.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
You're not accounting for the BSG in the Hurricane. It will feel like a bigger engine than it is because of that instant application of torque from the electric motor.
That's a really good point - for various reasons I'm getting the 3.6, but I'd love to test out the 2.0t someday.

Who knows; 5 years from now we'll see all the JL rock crawlers running the 2.0t with a bank of batteries and change the turbo for full boost at 1500 RPM. You never know :)
Sponsored