• Undecided

Votes: 20 9.8%

• Total voters

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
As long as Jeep never insults us with a "Panamera" mutant Wrangler with another row of seats I'm good.
I would love a 3rd row Wrangler. If they're making a truck, they can easily do it.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
I would love a 3rd row Wrangler. If they're making a truck, they can easily do it.
I think a lot of people would go for that. You see plenty of soccer moms driving their 5 kids around in Suburbans. You know good and well they would rather be driving a Jeep Wrangler. There were kits made for the JKU- Why not?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
That's who the Grand Wagoneer is aimed at.

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
I still want the diesel, but I want to test drive the Pentastar with the manual assuming the rumor it's a Tremec is true. I'm still plenty happy with the Pentastar in my JK and the WA850 is a decent (albeit dated) automatic, but as I've stated ad nauseam, I was never fond of the NSG370.

If the stick is as good as I'm hoping and it ain't available for the diesel, I may go for the V6. I miss driving a stick, but I don't miss the stick in the JK.
I'm in the exact same boat, trying to follow all the updates, pics, specs etc. I'm concerned about one thing, the diesel. If there's no manual with it, and no 2 dr diesel, then I'm pushed towards the Pentastar V2 with the manual. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like manuals much better than autos. Gotta see those Diesel Specs, so I'm waiting till March 2018 for any decisions.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
As long as Jeep never insults us with a "Panamera" mutant Wrangler with another row of seats I'm good.
Hey I wouldnt be mad at a JLUX based on the JT with 3rd row seating :bandit:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, not yet, but we're all hoping Tremec.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I found some interesting tidbits in these videos about the Buick Lacrosse BSG system.

It seems to me like the high capacity BSG Lithium Ion battery can be used in conjunction with the 12V battery for an effective dual battery system for overlanding, with potentially tremendous capacity. Potentially, the BSG battery can be constantly charging the 12V battery even as you are using the 12V battery to power all your accessories. Effectively you would be tapping into the BSG battery to power your accessories, and given the high capacity of the BSG battery, you'll probably never drain it completely, and let's say you do, you can program the car to turn on the engine automatically to charge the BSG battery back up again if it gets too low. The 12 V battery need not ever be depleted, and can remain at full charge, always at the ready to start up the engine again.

Now it *could* work this amazing way, but it's not clear that the BSG battery will be set up to charge the 12V battery when the engine is not running. I truly hope that the engine does not need to be running for this charge transfer to occur. I hope it just works in ACC mode.

Dare I begin to dream that the FCA engineers have set it up this way?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You still have to charge up the 48V battery, so in any stop & go situation where you would be worried about 12V battery drain you will have 48V drain too, and then both need recharging. If you’re not draining constantly then the 12V will recharge of the generator anyways.

A small capacity 48V will drain after a bunch of restart and assisted accelerations too, and will cause the engine to start to recharge anyways, especially if a bunch of accesories are running while all this goes on.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
You still have to charge up the 48V battery, so in any stop & go situation where you would be worried about 12V battery drain you will have 48V drain too, and then both need recharging. If you’re not draining constantly then the 12V will recharge of the generator anyways.

A small capacity 48V will drain after a bunch of restart and assisted accelerations too, and will cause the engine to start to recharge anyways, especially if a bunch of accesories are running while all this goes on.
Stop and go doesn't concern me. I'm going to be turning off ESS anyways. I need to be able to run a refrigerator, laptop and some medical equipment overnight while I'm car camping out in the middle of nowhere. And then in the morning I need the peace of mind that the Jeep will restart again no matter what. I'm thinking the capacity of the 48V battery will be much larger than any 12V deep cycle. And I don't care if the engine needs to start and run to recharge, I'm fine with that. I'm hoping it would only need to idle for about 30 min to fully recharge the BSG...do you think that is possible?

I'm more interested in finding a way to use that Lithium Ion BSG battery for accessories than for actual driving.

Sponsored

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
Stop and go doesn't concern me. I'm going to be turning off ESS anyways. I need to be able to run a refrigerator, laptop and some medical equipment overnight while I'm car camping out in the middle of nowhere. And then in the morning I need the peace of mind that the Jeep will restart again no matter what. I'm thinking the capacity of the 48V battery will be much larger than any 12V deep cycle. And I don't care if the engine needs to start and run to recharge, I'm fine with that. I'm hoping it would only need to idle for about 30 min to fully recharge the BSG...do you think that is possible?

I'm more interested in finding a way to use that Lithium Ion BSG battery for accessories than for actual driving.
This would be great, but I have a feeling these two power sources will be completely independent of each other. At least the 12v should be already beefed up for ESS in the 3.6l. Too bad the HD electrical group didn't come with second battery mounted somewhere convenient.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Likely possible, and many are configured for additional accesory support, but.. again.. we would need to wait and see the setup.

You might be able to draw off of a provided port directly from the converter, or else tap a fuse rather than drawing from the 12V and charging from the 48V.

BTW, one thing to remember though is that its only about 0.5 KWhr usually, so not a lot of power, but good for one or two items overnight.