danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
All I want is a 6spd manual be nice if it was available with all engine choices... guess I'll take which ever one offers it.
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Likely possible, and many are configured for additional accesory support, but.. again.. we would need to wait and see the setup.

You might be able to draw off of a provided port directly from the converter, or else tap a fuse rather than drawing from the 12V and charging from the 48V.

BTW, one thing to remember though is that its only about 0.5 KWhr usually, so not a lot of power, but good for one or two items overnight.
Gosh, 0.5 kWh doesn't seem like that much for such a big battery. The one in the 2012 Buick Lacrosse in the video I posted looks physically huge, like maybe 4 or 5 times the size of a standard car battery.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Gosh, 0.5 kWh doesn't seem like that much for such a big battery. The one in the 2012 Buick Lacrosse in the video I posted looks physically huge, like maybe 4 or 5 times the size of a standard car battery.
Have you ever seen the size of a 6v golf cart battery? Same as my cars 12v. 6 of the 6v allwired up in series makes mine a 36v cart, the 48v ones have 8 of them

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yeah, but thatā€™s because of all the material the Li-ion has to exist in and all the support system not to explode / catch fire.

Also, likely an average Deep Cycle battery will possibly have more raw capacity, as the basee BlueTop Optimas are like 50Ah which is like 0.6KWH, and top ones around 75Ah or around 0.9KWhr.

edited to remove double info which disspeared in the screen when adding to quote first time and screen refreshed.

Last edited:

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yeah, but thatā€™s because of all the material the Li-ion has to exist in and all the support system not to explode / catch fire.

Also, likely an average Deep Cycle battery will possibly have more raw capacity, as the basee BlueTop Optimas are like 50Ah which is like 0.6KWH, and top ones around 75Ah or around 0.9KWhr.

edited to remove double info which disspeared in the screen when adding to quote first time and screen refreshed.
Yeah, I worked out that the Odyssey Extreme battery that fits in the JK is about 0.8 kWh.

But a laptop battery is about 50 Wh. It seems to me like you could easily stack 100 of them together in the space about the size of a toolbox to get 5.0 kWh.

Of course, a laptop battery is say roughly $100, so a 100 of them would cost...$10,000...ugh.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
And again all the support and control systems.

There are a lot of portable Battery Based ā€œEmergency Generatorsā€ often 1KWh or more for under $1,000 and even half that for not so ā€˜prominentā€™ brands.

Plus there also seems to be a bunch of solar storage banks for RVs that would fit the bill too and can charge off DC 12V, AC, and Solar.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
And again all the support and control systems.

There are a lot of portable Battery Based ā€œEmergency Generatorsā€ often 1KWh or more for under $1,000 and even half that for not so ā€˜prominentā€™ brands.

Plus there also seems to be a bunch of solar storage banks for RVs that would fit the bill too and can charge off DC 12V, AC, and Solar.
Thanks, I will do some research into those.

Axe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500, 2014 FJ Cruiser
I had a 2010 Unlimited and a 2011 2 door - and I remember even the 2 door felt like a dog with the old motor...I never drove a 2012 or newer - is the Pentastar a huge leap? The 2011 2 door felt like it couldn't get out of its own way.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I'm in the exact same boat, trying to follow all the updates, pics, specs etc. I'm concerned about one thing, the diesel. If there's no manual with it, and no 2 dr diesel, then I'm pushed towards the Pentastar V2 with the manual. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like manuals much better than autos. Gotta see those Diesel Specs, so I'm waiting till March 2018 for any decisions.
Anybody that prefers a manual these days, from the majority of car manufacturer, is in the minority. Iā€™m in the same boat as you, I want a diesel manual 2 door; will have to settle for the Pentastar if thatā€™s the only option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I'm in the exact same boat, trying to follow all the updates, pics, specs etc. I'm concerned about one thing, the diesel. If there's no manual with it, and no 2 dr diesel, then I'm pushed towards the Pentastar V2 with the manual. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like manuals much better than autos. Gotta see those Diesel Specs, so I'm waiting till March 2018 for any decisions.
What happens in March concerning any diesel production? I havenā€™t read anything other than the supposed diesel production in August ā€˜18.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Additional testing and staggering because of diesel scandals and to profit from staggered performance option. FCA is pulling an Apple iPhone X. :D

It would be tough for me to live with the Pentastar after having so many great boosted engines. My lowly 13 year old Baja Turbo is 285hp/350tq these days and feels great. Would feel so sad to drop 100ft/lb in a 2018.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
I had a 2010 Unlimited and a 2011 2 door - and I remember even the 2 door felt like a dog with the old motor...I never drove a 2012 or newer - is the Pentastar a huge leap? The 2011 2 door felt like it couldn't get out of its own way.
A "huge" leap if you consider it's like going from a basset hound to a beagle. We're definitely not talking greyhound here!
Sponsored