Sponsored

Weathertechs or Mopar mats?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for your feedback. Love the Rubicon stickers. What do you recommend for the cargo area? I have been trying to find something and do not like that the mopar mats do not cover the entire cargo area. Thanks so much!
@jeme

I actually do not use/have a Cargo Liner... Ive had a bunch of JK's and now the JL, and just felt a cargo liner was not my cup of tea so to speak..

With that said, I keep 3 Harbor Freight shipping pads ($4.00+-) in the back. Two are sewed on 2 sides so they end up being pockets. The thirs pad is just folded so, if I need it can be opened up.

The pads give me more then adequate protection. They are black and blend in back there..

I can slip things into the pockets to hide such things.

IF there is a Hail Storm, I can quickly take the pads and place them on the top surfaces of the vehicle. I have actually had to do this on multiple occasions.... saved my JK's from damage.

A pad can be used to lie on in case I have to work on vehicle when on the side of the road..

A pad can be thrown over a winch / tow cable to help protect those around.

A pad(s) can cover me/keep me warm if I am stranded on the freeway or in the hills, in a Snow storm/below freezing.... Had to do this twice in the last 20+ years...

A pad can be used in regard to a patient I need to care for at a car wreck... done this quite a few times.. Opened pad also used to carry an injured person.

Anyway, what can a cargo liner do... well, it will catch fluid that may leak. It will allow all my stuff to move around back there, it will me cost me a lot of $.. That's pretty much it...

So, I am not a fan of Cargo Liners..

Last edited:

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
E
@jeme

I actually do not use/have a Cargo Liner... Ive had a bunch of JK's and now the JL, and just felt a cargo liner was not my cup of tea so to speak..

With that said, I keep 3 Harbor Freight shipping pads ($4.00+-) in the back. Two are sewed on 3 sides so they end up being pockets. The forth pad is just folded so, if I need it can be opened up.

The pads give me more then adequate protection. They are black and blend in back there..

I can slip things into the pockets to hide such things.

IF there is a Hail Storm, I can quickly take the pads and place them on the top surfaces of the vehicle. I have actually had to do this on multiple occasions.... saved my JK's from damage.

A pad can be used to lie on in case I have to work on vehicle when on the side of the road..

A pad can be thrown over a winch / tow cable to help protect those around.

A pad(s) can cover me/keep me warm if I am stranded on the freeway or in the hills, in a Snow storm/below freezing.... Had to do this twice in the last 20+ years...

A pad can be used in regard to a patient I need to care for at a car wreck... done this quite a few times.. Opened pad also used to carry an injured person.

Anyway, what can a cargo liner do... well, it will catch fluid that may leak. It will allow all my stuff to move around back there, it will me cost me a lot of $.. That's pretty much it...

So, I am not a fan of Cargo Liners..
Excellent idea. So I get the pocket thing but it you folded it in half and sewed 2 sides would that make a pocket? What is the third side for? Also how or who did you sew them. Great advice. Thank you.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
E

Excellent idea. So I get the pocket thing but it you folded it in half and sewed 2 sides would that make a pocket? What is the third side for? Also how or who did you sew them. Great advice. Thank you.
@jeme

Yes, you got your screen shot of my post, before I edited the 3 to 2... SO, yes sew two sides.

The black harbor freight pads folded into a pocket fit perfectly back there..

OH, they are easy to sew even on Nana's little home sewing machine. I had a little ole Nana, living next store sew them up for me.. I gave her a six pack of beer (seriously) for doing 6 up for me...

If you ever fruck one up, easily replaced for under $5.00.

Red Rock N Roll

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
International Quality Control Manager
So I bought the Mopar ones for my JLU through Extreme Terrain (won't buy from them again) and WeatherTech mats and cargo mat for my wife's Toyota Rav-4 through WeatherTech. The Mopar ones fit nice and snug, lock in and have the drain plug that is a cool feature, which you need to cut the carpet, pull the plug and snap the drain in and replace the cover so the mats snap in and sit down tight. If you don't cut the carpet and install the drain, the mat sits up and won't snap in. My wife's WeatherTech's are surely not snug, and the side walls are not tight against the sides of the interior trim. The WeatherTech cargo mat doesn't lay flat and still doesn't lay flat even after being in for a month and a half in a car that sits in the AZ sun with inside car temps over 140 degrees.

I have seen two versions of the Mopar mats, the ones that have the topographical designs on them and another set that I seen at a Jeep dealership here in Gilbert, AZ with tire treads on them. Both look awesome once installed.

Drivers Mat.jpg

Passenger Mats.jpg

Jeep Rear Mat.jpg

Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
So I bought the Mopar ones for my JLU through Extreme Terrain (won't buy from them again) and WeatherTech mats and cargo mat for my wife's Toyota Rav-4 through WeatherTech. The Mopar ones fit nice and snug, lock in and have the drain plug that is a cool feature, which you need to cut the carpet, pull the plug and snap the drain in and replace the cover so the mats snap in and sit down tight. If you don't cut the carpet and install the drain, the mat sits up and won't snap in. My wife's WeatherTech's are surely not snug, and the side walls are not tight against the sides of the interior trim. The WeatherTech cargo mat doesn't lay flat and still doesn't lay flat even after being in for a month and a half in a car that sits in the AZ sun with inside car temps over 140 degrees.

I have seen two versions of the Mopar mats, the ones that have the topographical designs on them and another set that I seen at a Jeep dealership here in Gilbert, AZ with tire treads on them. Both look awesome once installed.

Drivers Mat.jpg

Passenger Mats.jpg

Jeep Rear Mat.jpg
What happened with ET?

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had the mopar mats and they are great except for the drivers side they cut the mat short by the gas pedal which allowed ice and snow to drip behind the mat!! So I changed them to a generic brand that also covers the plastic side entering the vehicle

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
for those who have installed the mopar mats:
1) did you do it yourself?
2) if the answer to #1 above is "yes", care to give me an interpretation of the pictogram I got for instructions?

bought the mats elsewhere & going down to pick up my daughter's '21, probably tomorrow

from the looks of it, there is a section of the carpet that needs to be cut out in order to install the mats?

after cutting out the oval of carpet, a rubber plug is removed?

install mats, snapping into place & place the rubber plug into the mat?

sound about right, or am I on drugs?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
2) if the answer to #1 above is "yes", care to give me an interpretation of the pictogram I got for instructions?

bought the mats elsewhere & going down to pick up my daughter's '21, probably tomorrow

from the looks of it, there is a section of the carpet that needs to be cut out in order to install the mats?

Those holes are exactly why I went with Quadratec Ultimates. I'd had Mopars in my JK, liked them, but I don't plan to hose out the interior, so I didn't want to cut carpet holes. Curious: how many owners of new JLs actually take a garden hose to the interior? And...if you do, why not just take the mats/carpet out and do a more thorough job? Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing

Correct, the drain plugs are under the carpet, and if you use the Mopar mats they have drain holes, so you cut 2x 1” pieces of carpet so the mat holes fit into the floor drain holes and you can put the drain plugs in the mats.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Correct, the drain plugs are under the carpet, and if you use the Mopar mats they have drain holes, so you cut 2x 1” pieces of carpet so the mat holes fit into the floor drain holes and you can put the drain plugs in the mats.

I didn't even think of looking for install vids: many thanks!
the vid makes it easier to understand & now that I realize that the holes in the carpet are 80% cut already, makes it so much easier to find out exactly where to cut.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Another option for the Mopar mats is to cut off the “funnels” on the bottom of the mats, get extra floor drain plugs to fill the holes in the mats, and leave the floor drains and carpet as is.

Quite a few people here have done that and there is a thread about it somewhere.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I had the Mopar ones from the factory and honestly didn't like taking out the factory plug and having the floor mat seal in there. Maybe its just OCD but just feel that the factory plug will have a better seal than the mats. I replaced with the Quadratec Weathertech mats. I guess they partnered up. I like the coverage of the weather tech mats but wish they were a little thicker as on the passenger side the sides don't lay totally flat.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I had the Mopar ones from the factory and honestly didn't like taking out the factory plug and having the floor mat seal in there. Maybe its just OCD but just feel that the factory plug will have a better seal than the mats. I replaced with the Quadratec Weathertech mats. I guess they partnered up. I like the coverage of the weather tech mats but wish they were a little thicker as on the passenger side the sides don't lay totally flat.
that’s another reason I decided to go with Bestops. And,,,, InvertedLogic is hooking me up with the Red Rubicon stickers to go over the emblem.
Sponsored