Sponsored

Mopar cargo mats unsnapping

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Finished installing my cargo mats, but I'm wondering if something is won't. I'll start with both stase lowered and the mats snapped into the gap hider. When I raise either the large or smaller seat, the mats pop loose from the gap hider. Is this normal?
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Finished installing my cargo mats, but I'm wondering if something is won't. I'll start with both stase lowered and the mats snapped into the gap hider. When I raise either the large or smaller seat, the mats pop loose from the gap hider. Is this normal?
I think this means you installed the attachment pieces in the gap hider upside down. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easy way to remove them so they can be reinstalled the other way.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
I installed two sets of rear cargo mats, one in my JL, which didnā€™t have trench/gap cover because my JLU Sahara has an upgraded Katzkin option so it gets a cloth config, and one in my wifeā€™s JLU Sahara which had the gap cover already from the standard leather option. Neither set comes unsnapped when folding the seats up or down. Best video I have seen on the install:

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Yep, you installed the pieces backwards. I did the same thing. Itā€™s a pain in the a$$ to remove them and I broke one or two. I think you could order them from the dealer if you can find a part number.

Once I reversed them they stay put.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Doomgaze

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't seem like it's possible to install it backwards. Here's what mine looks like.

20190311_144630.jpg
20190311_144637.jpg
20190311_144642.jpg

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
What we are saying is that you installed the round plastic pieces that the cargo mat snaps into the wrong way. Mine has the slotted half in the back, your's is in the front.
gap hider clips.jpg

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
What we are saying is that you installed the round plastic pieces that the cargo mat snaps into the wrong way. Mine has the slotted half in the back, your's is in the front.
gap hider clips.jpg
This.

OP
OP
Doomgaze

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, I see. Unfortunately, the video linked in this thread is also the one I watched, and he installs them backwards on the seat backs, but installs them correctly on the gap hider. I watched the orientation he used on the seat backs, and did the same on the gap hider.

Any easy way to pop these off?

doh.jpg

OP
OP
Doomgaze

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watched a few other videos and looked at pictures of the clips, I guess he DIDN'T install the seat clips backwards, that's just how they look. Kind of weird that those ones have the slots in that position, but the gap hider needs them the other way. Easy to mix up. Still trying to figure out a way to get these apart without breaking, any ideas?

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Had floor mats from the factory and they use the same snap connectors so I never thought about it and just installed mine the same way as those. As far as removal...do it very carefully. Nope, I donā€™t know the best way.

OP
OP
Doomgaze

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to walmart and bought these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dasco-Pro-2-Piece-Pry-Bar-Set/22734155
Used both at the same time to pry them off. Had to do it from the backside, seemed to work better that way. Each piece has 3 clips that hold them together. Of the 5 that needed removed, 2 of them had 1 clip break, 2 of them had 2 clips break, and I got 1 apart intact. They all snapped back together and seem to still be held in securely enough to work.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
I went to walmart and bought these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dasco-Pro-2-Piece-Pry-Bar-Set/22734155
Used both at the same time to pry them off. Had to do it from the backside, seemed to work better that way. Each piece has 3 clips that hold them together. Of the 5 that needed removed, 2 of them had 1 clip break, 2 of them had 2 clips break, and I got 1 apart intact. They all snapped back together and seem to still be held in securely enough to work.
I havenā€™t seen a source for buying replacement snaps. Sorry you broke a few. After fixing things, does your cargo mat disconnect when you put the seats down? Hope so.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I used a pry bar and carefully worked under the solid pieces. I figured they would break but none did. Reversed them and put them back together. Works better now but still wants to disconnect. I think once the rubber on the mat gets worked more the problem will be entirely gone. The stiffness puts a lot of upward pressure on those snaps.

OP
OP
Doomgaze

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same. Mine stay snapped now but 1 will pop off every so often when raising the seat up.
Sponsored