SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Which units do y’all have? Maybe some are sealed better than others. Mine is the seven inch, and I had no problems after a wipe down.
I’ve got the 8.4” screen
8.4” here too.
I’ll let the rain poor into my wife’s to see how her 7” holds up...
I’m sure she’ll let me...
Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Could it be those experiencing issues with their units have to bring it in for warranty? Versus the unit not being somewhat weather resistant? Would be a design fault were the Jeep not built to withstand some element exposure considering the main allure is going topless. I already have s SUV. Not wanting to upgrade it for one that only provides the illusion of go anywhere with top and doors off.

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be those experiencing issues with their units have to bring it in for warranty? Versus the unit not being somewhat weather resistant? Would be a design fault were the Jeep not built to withstand some element exposure considering the main allure is going topless. I already have s SUV. Not wanting to upgrade it for one that only provides the illusion of go anywhere with top and doors off.
I’ll bring it to the dealership service dept next time I’m in, but don’t know if they’ll be able to “recreate” the issue...

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
As an engineer, I figured that Jeep was lying through their teeth with their claims of water resistance. If they had said that the vehicle could be submerged to a certain depth for a certain period of time, then it would be something that it could be tested against and they could be held accountable if it did not meet it. But just saying, "Well, we took the top off and left it in the rain for X hours and nothing was damaged" just doesn't cut it. There's no way I would trust their design to have acceptable water resistance, especially around here. But that still didn't prevent me from ordering one since I know other vehicles that are commonly available offer even less water resistance. Let's just say that I won't be going in water that is deeper than my door sills.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
They could have gotten IPX certification. Not looking for actual waterproof. It’s not a submarine but getting caught with your top down is highly likeky for its customers. Especially here in south Florida during the summer.

I’ll just keep a bikini top handy or order a soft top which I’m heavily leaning towards. Last two were soft tops although with those I completely remove the top and brackets that held it. Much quieter.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
For what it’s worth, although I haven’t done it, some people on here with hardtops say on the JL you are now able to install and drive with the freedom panels only installed. Sort of a hard bikini top, if you wanted to haul them with you when you’re topless. It’s my understanding that on the jk that wasn’t possible.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
For what it’s worth, although I haven’t done it, some people on here with hardtops say on the JL you are now able to install and drive with the freedom panels only installed. Sort of a hard bikini top, if you wanted to haul them with you when you’re topless. It’s my understanding that on the jk that wasn’t possible.
Saw a video of it being done on a JK. Forgot what the kid did but slight adjustment to how they are placed. No modification needed.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I’ll bring it to the dealership service dept next time I’m in, but don’t know if they’ll be able to “recreate” the issue...
I wouldn’t have high hopes. Best to take it when it actually doesn’t work. Then they can’t use their slick get out of doing actual work “unable to replicate” or whatever language is used to ensure the same SOL for the customer response.

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
Thought I read they used marine wiring and on a video there was mention of water resistant screen but haven’t see any mention of IP68 or similar. The Alpine JK retrofit is IP53. Part of my question is helping me decide if I get the factory 8.4 or wait for Alpine to make available the JL version of their 209-WRA.
I think I’d wait for the Alpine. I’ve heard horror stories about the factory 8”. I know my factory radio has given me fits but since the start of June, it’s been good, not great. I’m saving my pennies for the alpine, when it comes out...

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Alpine might be the best solution.

Sponsored

ArmyJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own a JLURubicon
Occupation
Retired US Army
Why not take the carpet out, hang and air dry? This will also let the bottom of the Jeep dry.

You confirmed my worse fear. The radio isn’t waterproof.

Are seats leather? Saw a salesman on YouTube mention the cloth interior is marine grade. I’m not one to take any salesman at face value.
So I had the same situation...caught in a huge rain storm without doors and my carpet is soaked...drain holes in the front but not the back...doesn't seem to make sense to me. I don't want mold/mildew/rust...Can I take out the carpets without removing the seats? Any recommendations out there in JL Forum?

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Carpet comes out. Seats don’t need to be removed.

I’m permanently removing my carpet day one. Did on my YJ. Then get interior LineX. Keep rubber floor mats. Those can be removed quickly to let floor dry then placed back. Problem solved.

ArmyJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own a JLURubicon
Occupation
Retired US Army
Carpet comes out. Seats don’t need to be removed.

I’m permanently removing my carpet day one. Did on my YJ. Then get interior LineX. Keep rubber floor mats. Those can be removed quickly to let floor dry then placed back. Problem solved.
Are there any videos on how to remove the carpet in a JL?

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Are there any videos on how to remove the carpet in a JL?
Check YouTube. Think I saw one. Otherwise. Grab a corner and start removing. That’s what I did with my YJ. Can’t see this being more complicated. Don’t recall ever turning a screw on a seat. Wish there was a factory delete.

Hopefully one who’s done so on the JL will shine in.

Something that might be cool are products like Sea Deck. They custom cut. Could do a custom cut leaving holes for the plugs. They even engrave and do fancy trims. I’m sticking to LineX. Looks bad ass. Protects. Worry free. Cleans easily. Never worry about scratches. Doing same down the road to exterior. Combat urban parking door dings.

Sauce

First Name
D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've got a few offloading trips and lots of road miles on my JLUR so far (9300 mi). Carpet is removed, comes right out without any tools. Real east to put back in if you'd ever want. I wont.

There are drain plugs in the rear. There are actually drainplugs everywhere...front, under seats, rear floor, storage tub in the back and one in the jack storage.

I've got a soft top. Preferred driving status of my jeep is top on doors and windows off, carpet and plugs out. Jeep has been left out in the rain in NE Ohio for the last month (plenty of rain. Days, all night, etc).

Without any top on It's been poured on a lot, including over night. No radio issues. I dont have the 8.4 inch though. So maybe the standard 7 is the way to go? Time will tell I suppose

I have had not a single issue with the JL in any way.I have cloth seats, ass gets wet. But that's what you get. I've been pleasantly surprised at how little you get wet compared to my old jeeps. Even on the highway in a downpour (just watch for semi trucks, they'll get you while you're passing them haha.
Sponsored