Sponsored

Vehicle insurance when modified

Iwant2poop

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sport, 2002 Grand Cherokee (Sold)
As many have pointed out, it depends on the location, company, and probably the agent you get. When I spoke to my agent about coverage for my WJ, I asked about aftermarket pieces since I do have quite a bit of money invested into it. He told me to keep a thorough record of all the parts installed (aka receipts) and have them ready should I ever need to file a claim. He said while he couldn't guarantee everything would be reimbursed, that it would help reimburse some money back. I have USAA.
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Are they slamming Tesla people because of the automatic drive functions?

Not at all it is still considered the safest car on the road, however they are expensive to fix and requires a Tesla certified body and paint shop to do the work. Overall Tesla has the best record on the road for safety however it is like insuring a Home in Florida you never know when or if a Hurricane is gonna hit but if it does it is costly...

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Modifications impact the way vehicles drive, so some carriers don't want to take on the risk associated with insuring vehicles that have been modified from stock. Consider, not only are you going to claim more money to fix it to repair your aftermarket parts <which are excluded from coverage unless you have them specifically included>, but in the event the vehicle is more prone to loss, the carrier will have to cover the extra losses resulting from those changes. I'm surprised by the specificity mentioned in the OP, my experience is that most preferred carriers will not insure a vehicle with any modifications to suspension or engine. Some carriers don't ask at time of coverage but the claim process is terrible, others have policy provisions or underwriting appetite for the additional risk.

Its always worth asking, but be sure to read the policy also, as in a claim, that is what the claims adjuster is going to be using to determine if coverage applies. My policy for example reads "We will not pay for loss: ... to any custom parts and equipment" Also: "We do not provide Liability Coverage for ... Any vehicle which is modified or designed mainly for use off public roads."

I take this to mean that any custom parts won't be covered in a Collision or Comp claim, and that if I have modified my vehicle, that I may get harassed, even though it isn't "mainly for use off public roads." If I wanted to do a lot of modifications I'd find another carrier, but for my purposes, I'm going to have some custom slider steps, and will keep the stock suspension in place, so I'm enjoying the low premiums.

Read your policy!

Iwant2poop

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sport, 2002 Grand Cherokee (Sold)
Modifications impact the way vehicles drive, so some carriers don't want to take on the risk associated with insuring vehicles that have been modified from stock. Consider, not only are you going to claim more money to fix it to repair your aftermarket parts <which are excluded from coverage unless you have them specifically included>, but in the event the vehicle is more prone to loss, the carrier will have to cover the extra losses resulting from those changes. I'm surprised by the specificity mentioned in the OP, my experience is that most preferred carriers will not insure a vehicle with any modifications to suspension or engine. Some carriers don't ask at time of coverage but the claim process is terrible, others have policy provisions or underwriting appetite for the additional risk.

Its always worth asking, but be sure to read the policy also, as in a claim, that is what the claims adjuster is going to be using to determine if coverage applies. My policy for example reads "We will not pay for loss: ... to any custom parts and equipment" Also: "We do not provide Liability Coverage for ... Any vehicle which is modified or designed mainly for use off public roads."

I take this to mean that any custom parts won't be covered in a Collision or Comp claim, and that if I have modified my vehicle, that I may get harassed, even though it isn't "mainly for use off public roads." If I wanted to do a lot of modifications I'd find another carrier, but for my purposes, I'm going to have some custom slider steps, and will keep the stock suspension in place, so I'm enjoying the low premiums.

Read your policy!
Honestly, this is probably the best advice here. At the end of the day, when it comes down to it whatever is written on the paperwork you sign is what you agree to, not whatever an agent tells you over the phone. And while I'm sure you can argue it if you want, it's going to be an uphill battle for you if you do.

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Most up here (northern Ontario) have had no issues with mods and insurance
A good buddy smacked a car pretty good and insurance replaced lift, 35 and snorkel. Never told them of the modifications and they never had an issue

I just had my motor swapped through insurance on my 15 JK after it sunk in a hole. No issues again being lifted and modified

OP
OP
Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
I will be picking up my 2019 JLUR tomorrow. This morning I called my insurance company (Costco/Ameriprise) to add it to the policy. I plan on putting a lift and 37” tires on 17” wheels.

I was told that any lift must be UNDER 3” and tires cannot be more than 2” larger than the stock tires.

For those of you who have lifted and added larger tires, have you been able to insure your Jeep? Who do you use for insurance? Do you tell the insurance company you have modified your jeep or do you just stay silent?

Thanks in advance!
UPDATE: Just received a call from the insurance company and they will not insure it at all if it is ever taken off road. I will look at some of the recommendations that some of you made above...Thank you

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: Just received a call from the insurance company and they will not insure it at all if it is ever taken off road. I will look at some of the recommendations that some of you made above...Thank you
Wouldn't that be your "dirty" little secret...how would they know?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Wow that really sucks. I hope you find a good company that will work with you.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Wouldn't that be your "dirty" little secret...how would they know?
If you tell them, or if you have a loss off-road, they can make your life uncomfortable. They'd likely still be on the hook to pay for it (assuming it is indeed a covered loss), but you'd certainly be dropped the next term. Or, if you have a regular loss, they will only pay to repair stock parts and will provide no coverage for aftermarket parts. If it were me in OPs position I'd ask if there are other companies they work with that would insure them or start looking around. Best bet is probably to go to an IA (Independent Agency) and tell them you are making mods and who handles that kind of insurance.

Sponsored

Sucker Punch

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU (totaled), 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retrofit Offroad
Side note: Some insurers will allow you to add a rider on your insurance policy to cover all the "add-ons" (modifications) on the Jeep. I had well over 15K in mods on my 2014 JKUR. Idiot ran a red light and totaled my Jeep. I'm not getting a penny more for all the add-ons. I plan on adding a rider to my policy for the 2019 JLUR on order. Hope I never have to use it, but will give me peace of mind knowing my add-ons are covered. The insurance did allow me to remove as much of the add-ons to "take the Jeep back to stock" prior to hauling off to salvage yard.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Don't ask, don't tell.

If I couldn't afford to self-insure the over-stock cost of my 'normal' mods, I'd really think twice about whether I can afford them. Insurance is to cover the big losses, not every little $100 bucks out of my pocket. Most smart people won't even make an insurance claim for losses under $500. Additionally, for most of us, OEM parts are typically as much or more than aftermarket. If my 35-inch tires and custom wheels get stolen, and the Ins company just wanted to pay for the cost of a factory wheel and tire set, I'm probably not out too much from my own pocket, if at all.

If you are using commercially-available parts, and not going too crazy deviating from stock, I don't think there is much to worry about, liability-wise either. To me, 35's and a 2-inch commercially-available lift (Mopar, Rancho, etc., not homebrew) are so close to stock for a JL that it wouldn't even raise my eyebrow. 40-inch tires and a 9-inch custom lift? Yeah, that could be legal trouble if there was ever an at-fault accident, and your insurance company might be resistant if you didn't clue them in ahead of time.

And of course, if you have a full-on overlander build (camper top, appliances, $5,000 worth of wheels, etc) -- yeah, your value-over-stock exposure is significant, and you might want to seek additional coverages.

Last edited:

JC2692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
USAA didn’t ask me anything.. However that is when I purchased it brand new. My thought process is that in the event something happened, I would just mention it then in attempt to get that money back. I’ve already upgraded the tires and wheels so far. I’m not sure why an insurance company would even care.. never heard of that before. I’ve had plenty of vehicles to include a heavily modified 335i and never had an insurance company care.
USAA actually replaced all the modified parts on my old sports car when it was in a wreck. I was very worried because I got a dyno tune and did t want to deal with all of that again, but they took care of me

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
USAA actually replaced all the modified parts on my old sports car when it was in a wreck. I was very worried because I got a dyno tune and did t want to deal with all of that again, but they took care of me
They have taken care of me twice already so I am very pleased with USAA as well. Would highly recommend.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
USAA didn’t ask me anything.. However that is when I purchased it brand new. My thought process is that in the event something happened, I would just mention it then in attempt to get that money back. I’ve already upgraded the tires and wheels so far. I’m not sure why an insurance company would even care.. never heard of that before. I’ve had plenty of vehicles to include a heavily modified 335i and never had an insurance company care.
Why would they ask anything? It is in their interest to collect a monthly payment based on the VIN provided. They wont simply cover what you added unless it is known to them. If you keep receipts for the regular maintenance that was done that will help ensure that you get the max if something happens to the stock configuration.
For reference I have USAA too and they did not ask me about my 4Runner either.
Sponsored