Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0T is an Alfa Romeo design. Fiat did not make the engines. Not all the parts on the Jeep engine are the same as those on the Alfa, but it has proven to be a good design for Alfa.
Alfa Romeo is owned 100% by Fiat; by extension Fiat develops the engines.

You can call it an “Alfa Romeo engine” if it makes you feel better, but there’s no escaping that Fiat is the automaker and Alfa Romeo is the division. As such, Fiat sets the development goals, budgets, the manufacturing processes and the standards of quality; Alfa Romeo engineers make it happen within those parameters.
Sponsored

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Alfa Romeo is owned 100% by Fiat; by extension Fiat develops the engines.

You can call it an “Alfa Romeo engine” if it makes you feel better, but there’s no escaping that Fiat is the automaker and Alfa Romeo is the division. As such, Fiat sets the development budgets, the manufacturing costs and the standards of quality; Alfa Romeo makes it happen.
we will have to disagree on this. By your logic, Maserati is just a Fiat as well. while it became an FCA Global engine, it was designed and built in Alfa Romeo facilities. FCA is the parent company and Alfa Romeo is the automaker.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
we will have to disagree on this. By your logic, Maserati is just a Fiat as well. while it became an FCA Global engine, it was designed and built in Alfa Romeo facilities. FCA is the parent company and Alfa Romeo is the automaker.
LOL!

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
It is no different than Dodge V6 and V8 engines powering our Jeeps.
looking back at your first statement, you proved my point when you referenced a “Dodge” engine rather than a FCA engine.

Sponsored

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Last time I checked, Fiat owned Alfa Romeo and made all its engines.

It is no different than Dodge V6 and V8 engines powering our Jeeps.
You're correct with the ownership, of course, but the Jeep 2L engine was unique to Alfa, used first on the Guilia and then on the Stelvio when the SUV/CUV was introduced. None of the FIAT engine plants make the same engine.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Cool beans. Parked next to a Guilia which sounded similar.

Jeep Wrangler JL US vs. Italy 2.0T Engine 21992267-0BFB-45F2-95B6-928D212704B4

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
My other car is a Fiat: it is stylish, a blast to drive, the car is well put together, the engine sounds totally mean and it’s been trouble free.
Jeep Wrangler JL US vs. Italy 2.0T Engine 21992267-0BFB-45F2-95B6-928D212704B4

But I realize 9 out of 10 Americans —and Canadians— wouldn’t touch a Fiat due to that company’s dubious quality 40+ years ago.

By all accounts, the 2.0T is a solid engine. In my individual case, I didn’t want both my vehicles powered by a Fiat engine that was made in Italy —just in case, you know...

For better or worse, that’s how reputations work.
The only thing Italian about this car is the engine... the rest of it is a Miata and manufactured by Mazda... which is why it's so solidly built. Early on in my car search, I considered buying one of these and keeping my VW Tiguan as a winter/dog car... but I was worried about having 2 European engines...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing Italian about this car is the engine... the rest of it is a Miata and manufactured by Mazda... which is why it's so solidly built. Early on in my car search, I considered buying one of these and keeping my VW Tiguan as a winter/dog car... but I was worried about having 2 European engines...
Indeed. Same here.

In fairness to Fiat, they also did the styling, the suspension tuning and the exhaust sound. All of which turned out much better than those on the Mazda.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The cylinder head on the Alfa 2.0 is unique to the Alfa. This is old info on the Giulia forum. Plenty of info direct from the plant there.

Sponsored

TheDough

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
FIAT also owns Ferrari guys.. so those of us with the 2.0L baisically have Ferrari motors.

Jokes aside, Alfa Romeo’s, Fiats and most European brands have been developing 4cyl engines for A long long time since gas has always been about 5x as expensive in Europe as it is here.. you can compare their 4cyl development to our V8 development..

Anyhow, we have an Alfa Giulia in the family with a 2.0 and now a 2022 JLUR and sofar.. very pleased with the performance vs. efficiency of the 2.0. Fingers crossed on the reliability.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My JLU has the ravioli engine. It's been flawless to date.

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
If you are out at Moab for Easter Jeep Safari and you need tires on your Italian built 2.0 liter Swing down to Radiator Springs for a Discount! Tell the Michael Schumacher sent you....

Jeep Wrangler JL US vs. Italy 2.0T Engine Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 4.20.06 PM

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
For 2021 and 22 there should be very few Italian 2.0's (if any) in the JL's now as the US factory is fully up and running.
Sponsored