Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The T-Harness has some value, and would simplify installation, but candidly that's a lot of money when compared to all you can do with aftermarket components.

They should sell the harness individually, though I'm sure they won't. One will come out, if it hasn't yet already, from the typical upgrade vendors (Metra, AudioControl, Etc.).

Nice find!
Sponsored

Jordon_Taylor

First Name
Jordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The T-Harness has some value, and would simplify installation, but candidly that's a lot of money when compared to all you can do with aftermarket components.

They should sell the harness individually, though I'm sure they won't. One will come out, if it hasn't yet already, from the typical upgrade vendors (Metra, AudioControl, Etc.).

Nice find!
Yeah, it seemed a little expensive compared to some of the other setups I've read about, but it also seemed pretty simple to plug-n-play. I'm far from a car audio expert, so I'm looking mainly for direct-fit upgrades.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
This box has an amp in it. The cost was $399 at my local audio shop. I will say, I had my doubts, but it really thumps for an 8" sub! As mentioned, a 10" box will fit as well, but it's about 3" deeper into the cargo area. This one doesn't really protrude out further than the door lock/handle interior offset.
The base is amazing out of this little thing!
The Jeep is in the shop now having a JL amp wired to the factory speakers, I knew nothing about the speakers changing!!
I've always been an after market JL or Wetsounds guy so didn't order my JLUR with the alpine and am now seeing the issues with upgrading speakers.

As for mounting this box, if you pull plastic interior cover off the inside of the tailgate, there are 6 mounting holes, just pre drill your box to match those mounting holes and bolt it in. Solid as a rock on the tailgate.
There is zero vibration with the tailgate latched, but some slight vibration with the tailgate open.

Let me know if y'all need any more info.
My installer is currently trying to do the same mount with the 8" jl audio box as you are showing right now. He has the plastic back off the tailgate and said the 6 mounting holes are spaced out in such a way that he could only get 2 bolts into the box. How was your installer able to get 6 bolts into the box? He said the box is made out of 1/2" MDF material and he didn't like the idea of the box being secured by only 2 bolts to the door long term with 1/2" mdf material. I am having him lay the sub in the floor until I can get a solution. I will post pictures tonight. Can you help? Thanks

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Nice find!
My installer needs help mounting my 8" with built in amp to more than 2 screw holes...should I get some spacers and add a mounting board of some sort. Here's the goal:
ehzTnva.jpg

Here's the inside:
pG0Z1EZ.jpg

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Nice find!
Or I could forgo the tailgate mount and bolt to side like this. It sits about 2" off the side wall until it hits the plastic seatbelt surround. I'm going to try and pull off the seatbelt surround and see if there is room to cut that plastic and back it up 2" so it will mount flush.
guq5rfg.jpg

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the tailgate option. That would be pretty slick!

Would it be feasible to create a sub-frame made of thin, but sturdy aluminum bars (Lowe's/Home Depot) that would mount between the tailgate and the plastic cover? If so, you could then tap the screws through that metal "sub-frame" directly into the speaker box. Granted, I haven't seen how the box mounts, though it seems this might be an option to try. Here's a rough mock-up of what I'm envisioning:

Tailgate Bar.PNG

Or, if you need a squared-off mounting option, you could mount the metal sub-frame to the Jeep mounts (red), then add additional sub-frame pieces bolting them together at the green points. This would square it off, and provide some scalability to re-size the frame to match the speaker's mounting points.

Tailgate Bar 2.PNG

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I really like the tailgate option. That would be pretty slick!

Would it be feasible to create a sub-frame made of thin, but sturdy aluminum bars (Lowe's/Home Depot) that would mount between the tailgate and the plastic cover? If so, you could then tap the screws through that metal "sub-frame" directly into the speaker box. Granted, I haven't seen how the box mounts, though it seems this might be an option to try. Here's a rough mock-up of what I'm envisioning:

Tailgate Bar.PNG

Or, if you need a squared-off mounting option, you could mount the metal sub-frame to the Jeep mounts (red), then add additional sub-frame pieces bolting them together at the green points. This would square it off, and provide some scalability to re-size the frame to match the speaker's mounting points.

Tailgate Bar 2.PNG
Thanks alot for the very helpful info. One other thing the installer said is that they arent crazy about mounting the sub on tailgate due to the wires running through the black nylon tubing near the hinge. The wiring would be constantly bending whenever the tailgate is opened/closed and the weight of the sub with amp would be involved with alot of movement when on the door

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Just ordered a package. Will report once it arrives. Hopefully the installation is easy. It looks like it's going to fit nice and easy for the inexperienced installer. I hope.
$1300 + tax/freight/installation means it prob end up costing $1600+. Seems like alot to only add a under the seat 8" sub, 2 tweeters and amp.

Sponsored

TJ&JL

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL, 2005 Jeep TJ
Is there any way to use a wireless bluetooth speaker such as Braven BRV-XXL as the sub in back? That way it would be waterproof, portable, multi vehicles or uses and cheaper. I guess would need some kind of bluetooth transmitter going from factory head unit if there is such a thing,

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I ended up building a mounting board on the side of trunk with a 2x6 and mounting there. I gave up on the tailgate mount. It sounds great with no vibrations.
skgRG3U.jpg

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
$1300 + tax/freight/installation means it prob end up costing $1600+. Seems like alot to only add a under the seat 8" sub, 2 tweeters and amp.
Cancelled my order anyway. Just For Jeeps has it listed in stock, but it's not, and they don't know when it's coming. Be careful!

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
My installer is currently trying to do the same mount with the 8" jl audio box as you are showing right now. He has the plastic back off the tailgate and said the 6 mounting holes are spaced out in such a way that he could only get 2 bolts into the box. How was your installer able to get 6 bolts into the box? He said the box is made out of 1/2" MDF material and he didn't like the idea of the box being secured by only 2 bolts to the door long term with 1/2" mdf material. I am having him lay the sub in the floor until I can get a solution. I will post pictures tonight. Can you help? Thanks
Sorry, just now seeing this. I'm not sure how he did, nor how many bolts he secured it with, I know it wasn't all 6 tho. Mine is solid as a rock tho, and no vibrations. I even put all my weight on it at the audio shop to test it, I'm 210, it didn't budge. The wiring he was leary about as well, but said to keep an eye on it. He's a good friend tho, and they do a lot of business with me and our company so I know they will fix any issue that ever arises from an installation error. Your location will work well too. These little subs sound amazing don't they?!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Sorry, just now seeing this. I'm not sure how he did, nor how many bolts he secured it with, I know it wasn't all 6 tho. Mine is solid as a rock tho, and no vibrations. I even put all my weight on it at the audio shop to test it, I'm 210, it didn't budge. The wiring he was leary about as well, but said to keep an eye on it. He's a good friend tho, and they do a lot of business with me and our company so I know they will fix any issue that ever arises from an installation error. Your location will work well too. These little subs sound amazing don't they?!
Yes...I'm very impressed with the sound quality of the 8" sub and love the bass knob to control the volume. I wouldn't want any more bass than this this puts out for fear of damaging my ears. I'm surprised that a 8" sub can fill the space as well as it does....definitely a sleeper.
Sponsored