Upgrading non-Alpine Audio

Palmerm94

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I've read up a bit before posting on the audio systems/upgrades etc in the JL, but I just had a question or two that I couldn't really find an answer to.

I have the 7 inch Uconnect with the non-Alpine factory audio in my 2019 JLUS... while it is good for what it is, I am kicking myself for not holding out on the upgraded audio because it just lacks a little power.

I'm looking into getting a mono amp and 10" sub (SSV works custom enclosure for the driver's side cargo space from Crutchfield). Am I able to just wire the amp and tap the left and right channels from the soundbar speakers for adding just a sub?

If I wanted to, in the future, upgrade the factory speakers and either replace them or add an aftermarket amp for those is that possible/does the non-alpine setup have a factory amp (like the Alpine setup) or is it all just powered off of the headunit?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I did a little more digging and was able to answer my own questions. I didn't realize I needed a line output converter to be the middle man in between the tap and the amp.

If anyone has any further tips or tricks that would be welcomed!
Sponsored

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Am I able to just wire the amp and tap the left and right channels from the soundbar speakers for adding just a sub?
You can use an amp that has high level/speaker level inputs. You don't necessarily need a high level to low level adapter.

does the non-alpine setup have a factory amp (like the Alpine setup) or is it all just powered off of the headunit?
The base/non-Alpine system does not have an amp.

OP
OP

Palmerm94

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
You can use an amp that has high level/speaker level inputs. You don't necessarily need a high level to low level adapter.

The base/non-Alpine system does not have an amp.
Thanks! I realized that the amp that I picked out has speaker level inputs. I went over the JL and scoped out wiring, amp placement, and where to pass through the firewall.. so I think I'm ready.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Thanks! I realized that the amp that I picked out has speaker level inputs. I went over the JL and scoped out wiring, amp placement, and where to pass through the firewall.. so I think I'm ready.
Look at alpine PWD-X5, I have it just havent installed yet. It combines and 8' sub with 165W RMS, a 4ch amp with 25W RMS for main speakers, and even a DSP...

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Alright peoples, I finally got my Alpine PWD-x5 installed, and I gotta say it is really impressive. If you want an all-in-one easy clean solution, look this unit up. It definitely exceeded my expectations, though of course opinions vary, but I highly recommend checking it out...sorry having problems uploading image, I had it installed where Alpine sub usually is behind right passenger seat, fits perfect...
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading non-Alpine Audio IMG_8228

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
You can go mild to wild here. The 7" screen (or likely the 5" for that matter) have 4 channels of output. They are likely all full range. You need a simple LOC (like an Audio Control LC2) to grab a signal and make it usable. I'd recommend grabbing the rear signals behind the head unit. From there, you have simple RCA's to the amp (wherever you mount it), and the box/sub of your choice.
Sponsored