Upgrading Non-Alpine Audio

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
I found something else that works for the 2.5" stock speakers: The 3.5" Alpine speakers from prior '15-18 JK's (take-offs). Sound really good, just need to turn down the treble/highs to compensate for the brightness.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-JK-14-18-Dash-or-Sound-Bar-Speaker-4-Alpine-OEM/252355599316?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=eb466b7f2db84f029c265054c80c4643&pid=100290&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=272301140795&itm=252355599316&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Like yourself, I too decided to not go with the Alpine upgrade. I said to myself, "How bad could the stereo with the 7" display be?" Well... Bad. It was really bad. Especially with the doors and roof off. Couldn't hardly hear anything and if you turn it up too loud it just sounds awful.

So I decided to do something about it. I didn't want to change the head unit because I like the stock look and honestly didn't want to travel down that road.

I had the following installed.

4 of these https://www.kicker.com/44KSC404
2 in knee panels and 2 in the roll bar.
This amp.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC7005/Kenwood-KAC-7005PS.html
And this sub.
https://www.kicker.com/comp-c-12-svc-subwoofer

And holy shit it sounds good! Total for the hardware and installation was $700.00.

Couldn't be happier with this upgrade.
@seg
I'm debating on ordering the 3.5 kickers for the dash and roll bar. Just to finish it off.
Which speakers did you amplify other than the sub? I havent added a amp yet and replaced the 4 oem 2.5" tweeters in the dash and soundbar, but left the 4 stock 4" speakers. Arent the (4) 4" speakers in a custom port and there are no plug and play options yet and it's tough to improve the sound? Did your sound improve greatly going to the 4" kickers? I'm adding a 8" jl audio sub to the tailgate this week. Thanks!

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Which speakers did you amplify other than the sub? I havent added a amp yet and replaced the 4 oem 2.5" tweeters in the dash and soundbar, but left the 4 stock 4" speakers. Arent the (4) 4" speakers in a custom port and there are no plug and play options yet and it's tough to improve the sound? Did your sound improve greatly going to the 4" kickers? I'm adding a 8" jl audio sub to the tailgate this week. Thanks!
Bump for audio wisdom

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm just excited to take bass out of the sound bar. I cringe every time the speaker casing vibrates.

The only thing I am concerned with is it getting wet. I might look into options for some sort of weatherproofing.
Any ideas for waterproofing your sub?

Sbnewsom

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sorry for the delay. So yesterday I replaced the dash and roll bar 2.5 inch speakers with 3.5 kickers. These are still being powered by the 7 inch stock uconnect system. The knee speakers and the roll bar 4 inch speakers are now being powered by the 5 channel amp. Not sure how difficult it was for the installers to put in the 4 inch speakers. The sound improved immensely. Very clear and much louder.

Sponsored

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
Any ideas for waterproofing your sub?
Get a marine sub if you're worried about water. Make sure to water proof your box as well.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Sorry for the delay. So yesterday I replaced the dash and roll bar 2.5 inch speakers with 3.5 kickers. These are still being powered by the 7 inch stock uconnect system. The knee speakers and the roll bar 4 inch speakers are now being powered by the 5 channel amp. Not sure how difficult it was for the installers to put in the 4 inch speakers. The sound improved immensely. Very clear and much louder.
The installer I use quoted $250 to install a 4 channel amp to 4 speakers if I provide the amp. That seems steep. I wonder how big of a improvement there would be if I just replaced the stock 4" with kicker 4" in lower dash and soundbar without adding an amp? I've already changed out the 2.5" to 3.5" in the upper dash and soundbar and that helped alot with the front projection mainly. Seems alot more cost effective than spending $200 on amp +$250 labor + $150 for (4) 4" speakers.

Sbnewsom

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The installer I use quoted $250 to install a 4 channel amp to 4 speakers if I provide the amp. That seems steep. I wonder how big of a improvement there would be if I just replaced the stock 4" with kicker 4" in lower dash and soundbar without adding an amp? I've already changed out the 2.5" to 3.5" in the upper dash and soundbar and that helped alot with the front projection mainly. Seems alot more cost effective than spending $200 on amp +$250 labor + $150 for (4) 4" speakers.
That does sound a little steep

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m having an internal debate on what setup to run. I’m leaning towards Focal component speakers installed via custom brackets plus a shallow mount sub mounted under seat. I’m not really excited about any of the head units on the market though. I have the 5” screen and it’s pretty bad. Super slow to become responsive after start up.

I’ll be sure to add some photos on whatever setup I go with. Likely to pull the trigger in the next 2 weeks.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I’m having an internal debate on what setup to run. I’m leaning towards Focal component speakers installed via custom brackets plus a shallow mount sub mounted under seat. I’m not really excited about any of the head units on the market though. I have the 5” screen and it’s pretty bad. Super slow to become responsive after start up.

I’ll be sure to add some photos on whatever setup I go with. Likely to pull the trigger in the next 2 weeks.
What size speakers are you thinking in soundbar and kick panel? I'm thinking of adding a 4 channel amp and scrapping the 4" soundbar port speakers and cutting the port to add 6" Polk speakers. Also replacing the kickpanel with 6" polk speakers. I wonder how difficult it is to fit the 6" speakers? I'm having my 8" jl audio sub mounted to the tailgate tomorrow morning.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What size speakers are you thinking in soundbar and kick panel? I'm thinking of adding a 4 channel amp and scrapping the 4" soundbar port speakers and cutting the port to add 6" Polk speakers. Also replacing the kickpanel with 6" polk speakers. I wonder how difficult it is to fit the 6" speakers? I'm having my 8" jl audio sub mounted to the tailgate tomorrow morning.
You could probably get away with the 6" in the soundbar, as long as they aren't too deep, but getting 6's in the kick panel enclosures will take a ton of cutting/fabrication. I used 5.25's all around, and it worked pretty well.

Each of the kick panel enclosures is made differently (i.e. different shapes). The driver's side is fairly straight-forward, but the cuts you have to make on the passenger side enclosure present some serious challenges. You basically have to fabricate the entire speaker mounting point due to the bizarre angles that are left after cutting the stock enclosure to fit the larger speaker. And, you have to ensure you do so such a way that the speaker won't hit the grill when it's installed and reaching it's excursion point.

It's do-able, just have plenty of hot glue, silicone or your favorite molding material handy - and patience! I actually wish I was fluent in fiberglass molding, because that would have been the ideal option.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
You could probably get away with the 6" in the soundbar, as long as they aren't too deep, but getting 6's in the kick panel enclosures will take a ton of cutting/fabrication. I used 5.25's all around, and it worked pretty well.

Each of the kick panel enclosures is made differently (i.e. different shapes). The driver's side is fairly straight-forward, but the cuts you have to make on the passenger side enclosure present some serious challenges. You basically have to fabricate the entire speaker mounting point due to the bizarre angles that are left after cutting the stock enclosure to fit the larger speaker. And, you have to ensure you do so such a way that the speaker won't hit the grill when it's installed and reaching it's excursion point.

It's do-able, just have plenty of hot glue, silicone or your favorite molding material handy - and patience! I actually wish I was fluent in fiberglass molding, because that would have been the ideal option.
Good stuff....what 5.25" speakers and amp did you go with? How shallow do they need to be to fit?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have Audison separates up front, and Hertz 130.5 coax's in the soundbar. I really don't know the depth limits, though you'll have to cut a portion of the bass tube in order for anything deeper than the stock speakers (i.e. any upgrade) to fit up there. I believe most mid-range speakers will fit. The massive magnets on the $300+ speakers, I believe, would be too deep for the soundbar.