Sponsored

Upgrading Non-Alpine Audio

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Yes...I'm very impressed with the sound quality of the 8" sub and love the bass knob to control the volume. I wouldn't want any more bass than this this puts out for fear of damaging my ears. I'm surprised that a 8" sub can fill the space as well as it does....definitely a sleeper.
I am of the opposite opinion, I do not like the powered 8"... Doesn't have enough for me.
Sponsored

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
So the Alpine aftermarket Subwoofer system arrived today (finally). Just looked at the directions. Yikes. So much for it being easy. I don't think I'll be able to do it myself.

Do you think it's possible to take this to an installer and pay them to do it? I've never done that before so I didn't know what the "usual protocol" is.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
its just not smart to take a brand new Truck and rip open all the panels etc to wire a sound system thats only going to be marginally better...

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
its just not smart to take a brand new Truck and rip open all the panels etc to wire a sound system thats only going to be marginally better...
:facepalm: Would you care to elaborate on that? I'm trying to figure out the point of this statement, especially considering the fact that the Jeep Wrangler is near the top of the list for being the most highly customized/modified vehicles on the market.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So the Alpine aftermarket Subwoofer system arrived today (finally). Just looked at the directions. Yikes. So much for it being easy. I don't think I'll be able to do it myself.

Do you think it's possible to take this to an installer and pay them to do it? I've never done that before so I didn't know what the "usual protocol" is.
Your local car audio shop will absolutely install this for you. They'll need to run and connect a few wires (Battery, Remote Power and Ground), and they'll need to tap into your existing speaker wires for the sub's input signals. Not a tremendously expensive endeavor.

Sponsored

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
Your local car audio shop will absolutely install this for you. They'll need to run and connect a few wires (Battery, Remote Power and Ground), and they'll need to tap into your existing speaker wires for the sub's input signals. Not a tremendously expensive endeavor.
Okay cool, going to schedule it this week.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
:facepalm: Would you care to elaborate on that? I'm trying to figure out the point of this statement, especially considering the fact that the Jeep Wrangler is near the top of the list for being the most highly customized/modified vehicles on the market.
Sure Ill be glad to considering most people on this site have no experience with Jeep wrangler at all and this is their first jeep ever. Which means most are in the demographic 35-56 first time jeep owners. Thant means most of them have no background or history of "customizing" jeeps and thus have no mechanical knowledge to self install a stereo much less a suspension lift etc. That being said you will need to first purchase a system that works together sized correctly to match the existing ports the speakers a currently in. Then you have to unseat all the small little plastic button fasteners (that break easy) and little hooks and nuts and bolts panles in a 40k+ vehicle that you just rolled off the lot to run all the wiring for the sub woofer accessory speakers, amp etc back to the head unit and battery. When you get done with all the labor HOPEFULLY you will wind up with something that sounds better than the Alpine which will be hard to get it to sound that much better. Putting it all back together with out creating squeaks and rattles too. Most people won't even be able to tell the difference. So in conclusion Its just better to get the alpine system from the factory and be done unless you are doing some other major overhaul with the interior. It just doesn't make sense to me. Now we haven't gotten into the interior acoustics of a jeep JL yet. Which are extremely limited and compounded by what top you've chosen. But hey man its your money...

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE="hansolowookie, post: 334163, But hey man its your money...[/QUOTE]

That's a ton of BS to wade through to finally get to the only real point. It is our Money. Thanks for clarifying!

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Sure Ill be glad to considering most people on this site have no experience with Jeep wrangler at all and this is their first jeep ever. Which means most are in the demographic 35-56 first time jeep owners. Thant means most of them have no background or history of "customizing" jeeps and thus have no mechanical knowledge to self install a stereo much less a suspension lift etc. That being said you will need to first purchase a system that works together sized correctly to match the existing ports the speakers a currently in. Then you have to unseat all the small little plastic button fasteners (that break easy) and little hooks and nuts and bolts panles in a 40k+ vehicle that you just rolled off the lot to run all the wiring for the sub woofer accessory speakers, amp etc back to the head unit and battery. When you get done with all the labor HOPEFULLY you will wind up with something that sounds better than the Alpine which will be hard to get it to sound that much better. Putting it all back together with out creating squeaks and rattles too. Most people won't even be able to tell the difference. So in conclusion Its just better to get the alpine system from the factory and be done unless you are doing some other major overhaul with the interior. It just doesn't make sense to me. Now we haven't gotten into the interior acoustics of a jeep JL yet. Which are extremely limited and compounded by what top you've chosen. But hey man its your money...
If you think the alpine system is the cats ass - you haven’t been in a Jeep with a properly balanced and tuned aftermarket system. If I remember right it took about 3700 watts to knock my review mirror off my JK.

Most of the time my Jeep squeaks less after I put it back together correctly - most of the panels I have my removed from my JL were not fully seated at all contact points anyways.

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray

....yikes.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Like yourself, I too decided to not go with the Alpine upgrade. I said to myself, "How bad could the stereo with the 7" display be?" Well... Bad. It was really bad. Especially with the doors and roof off. Couldn't hardly hear anything and if you turn it up too loud it just sounds awful.

So I decided to do something about it. I didn't want to change the head unit because I like the stock look and honestly didn't want to travel down that road.

I had the following installed.

4 of these https://www.kicker.com/44KSC404
2 in knee panels and 2 in the roll bar.
This amp.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC7005/Kenwood-KAC-7005PS.html
And this sub.
https://www.kicker.com/comp-c-12-svc-subwoofer

And holy shit it sounds good! Total for the hardware and installation was $700.00.

Couldn't be happier with this upgrade.

I'm debating on ordering the 3.5 kickers for the dash and roll bar. Just to finish it off.
Did you not use a line out converter going to your amp powering your (4) 4" kicker speakers? You must have a friend installing or are buying stolen goods, because I cant touch buying and having all that installed for $700. My installer would charge atleast $400 for wire kits and to hook everything up. The hardware alone is pushing $700. How did you do it?

OP
OP
bru22

bru22

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gbpro.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2016 Audi Q5, 2016 GMC Denali 2500HD
Occupation
Principal & Creative Director
Vehicle Showcase
Insert eye roll emoji

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Cigarette Lighter is probably the easiest.

20180811_172814.jpg
Sponsored