Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the forum policing. I've owned 3 wranglers and a gladiator.

When I decided I needed to upgrade from the JK, I spent months reading the JL forums, and was planning on building a rubi 2 door.
I also read most of the tech and build stuff over here since they have been out for 2 more model years and there are some extremely good people that share info that don't visit the JT forums..

My point was only this, there are some distinct advantages that the JT has over non-rubi wranglers. If that upsets you, the internet isn't for you. And beefier front axle isn't an advantage? I'll be sure to let the JL guys I wheel with know that their busted carriers and chipped pinions don't matter. If you wheel these things, they break. And starting with stronger for less money isn't a negative.

Enjoy your weekend.
Gladiator better for...wheeling? Yer joking, right?

That long wheelbase and big ass get stuck everywhere. Even on FCAā€™s own indoor ride and drives, and at FCAā€™s outdoor press events....

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 1613164980484

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 1613164893128

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 1613165095647

Notice Jeep staff show up to Gladiator events wearing gloves ...ready to push.... :LOL: :LOL::LOL:

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Gladiator better for...wheeling? Yer joking, right?

That long wheelbase and big ass get stuck everywhere. Even on FCAā€™s own indoor ride and drives, and at FCAā€™s outdoor press events....

Notice Jeep staff show up to Gladiator events wearing gloves ...ready to push.... :LOL: :LOL::LOL:
they do have a breakover problem, but a lift and tires fix that. 3.45 gears and a M186 are a little more expensive to resolve. Also, nowhere did I say it was better for wheeling. But it is more robust stock and easier to upgrade to run 37's than a non rubi JL.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
What CAN'T a JT do that other midsized trucks CAN do?
So I like to grab lunch at Jimmy Johns. They offer two drink sizes. When the cashier asks me which I'd like, I answer, "Small." Then the cashier informs me that they only have "medium" or "large". This leads to me explaining that a "medium" goes in the middle of "small" and "large". If you only have two sizes, you don't have a medium.

So let's talk trucks. Toyota makes a Tacoma and a Tundra, or small and large. But it's hard to market a "small truck," so the Tacoma is mid-sized. Ford makes a Ranger, F150, F250, etc. So the F150 should be their mid-sized. Nope, that's the Ranger, because of the small truck marketing challenge again.

It's all ridiculous, which is why I didn't use the mid-sized caveat. I said "truck." I'd start listing things that a "truck" can do that a JT can't, but life is short. Besides, that wasn't my main point. If a JT fits your lifestyle and meets your needs, I say buy one. I prefer my 2 door Jeep. When I want a truck, I'll by one. Maybe a nice, mid-sized TRX and not one of those new, small-sized Dakotas they're talking about...šŸ˜

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
So I like to grab lunch at Jimmy Johns. They offer two drink sizes. When the cashier asks me which I'd like, I answer, "Small." Then the cashier informs me that they only have "medium" or "large". This leads to me explaining that a "medium" goes in the middle of "small" and "large". If you only have two sizes, you don't have a medium.

So let's talk trucks. Toyota makes a Tacoma and a Tundra, or small and large. But it's hard to market a "small truck," so the Tacoma is mid-sized. Ford makes a Ranger, F150, F250, etc. So the F150 should be their mid-sized. Nope, that's the Ranger, because of the small truck marketing challenge again.

It's all ridiculous, which is why I didn't use the mid-sized caveat. I said "truck." I'd start listing things that a "truck" can do that a JT can't, but life is short. Besides, that wasn't my main point. If a JT fits your lifestyle and meets your needs, I say buy one. I prefer my 2 door Jeep. When I want a truck, I'll by one. Maybe a nice, mid-sized TRX and not one of those new, small-sized Dakotas they're talking about...šŸ˜
I am one that is considering trading in my 2dr JL Rubi for a JTR. I love my jeep but 2k towing is a joke. The problem is even tho I got my loaded JL for 45k I am still 1K upside down of KBB after 2yrs. And the loaded JTR is 65k. I have looked at the Ram 1500 but to get all the options its just as much.

Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
I am one that is considering trading in my 2dr JL Rubi for a JTR. I love my jeep but 2k towing is a joke. The problem is even tho I got my loaded JL for 45k I am still 1K upside down of KBB after 2yrs. And the loaded JTR is 65k. I have looked at the Ram 1500 but to get all the options its just as much.
I think (think) there's about a 1500lb towing capacity difference betweeb the JT and Ram 1500. If the JT gets you what you need, problem solved.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I love Gladiators. But I wouldnā€™t call going from a JL to a JT an ā€œupgrade.ā€

Iā€™ve owned several Wranglers over the years. I traded my JK for a Toyota Tacoma; I was back in a Wrangler within six months.

These are the things I didnā€™t like about owning a midsize pickup:

1. Length of the thing. It looked ā€œcompactā€ until I tried to park the thing. It got old fast. Gladiator is 18 inches longer than JLU.
  2. Thereā€™s room for people OR for groceries, but not both. Unless you plan on putting an ugly canopy, your groceries, gym bag, etc. need to go inside. If you are carrying people, you have to put everything else in the back. Thatā€™s a no-no if (a) itā€™s raining or (b) you are going to get on the freeway. Donā€™t ask how I know...
We tend to take for granted Wranglerā€™s maneuverability around town and everyday convenience.
To resolve #2, Just get a bed cover? It's 500 bucks, order it from factory, what am I missing here?

Last edited:

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
To resolve #2, Just get a bed cover? It's 500 bucks, order it from factory, what am I missing here?
Bed cover doesn't account for extreme temps (either hot or cold) and things like ice cream or milk. For long drives with the kids to the mountains for skiing, it means that the ski boots have to be packed inside, or they are freezing by the time you get to the hill.

Also, bed covers are not completely waterproof, so you always end up with moisture in the bed. Not great for hauling lots of things that you want to keep dry.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I think (think) there's about a 1500lb towing capacity difference betweeb the JT and Ram 1500. If the JT gets you what you need, problem solved.
Biggest problem with a 1500 or PowerWagon is sheer size. It's incredibly difficult to get it down somewhat narrow trails. JT doesn't have that problem.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
Biggest problem with a 1500 or PowerWagon is sheer size. It's incredibly difficult to get it down somewhat narrow trails. JT doesn't have that problem.
Agreed. I was speaking to towing capacity, not necessarily down a narrow trail. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
Iā€™ve owned 18 Jeeps and currently have a Gladiator. Itā€™s a great compromise if you love Wranglers but also need a truck. Isnā€™t it great that we have options to buy whichever one we want? Itā€™s not quite as good off road as a Wrangler, but itā€™s a lot better than a Wrangler at hauling and towing. Everybody- enjoy whichever one you own!

75BB975E-CF38-4C52-BA1A-B0F5F7FE582B.png

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ram 1500ā€™s max towing capacity is almost 70% more than JT

JT is 7,650 lbs while Ram 1500 is 12,750 lbs

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

2021 ram 1500 4x4 towing 6,300 - 11,350
4x2 towing 6,530 - 12,750

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I really like Gladiators. If I hadnā€™t owned a Tacoma Iā€™d probably own a Gladiator now. But six months of driving a midsize pickup reminded me of everything Wrangler does so well we donā€™t even think about it.

I donā€™t tow so Gladiator doesnā€™t offer me anything I canā€™t get on a Wrangler, while itā€™d deprive me of some ease-of-use around town and on the trail.

For the once or twice a year I haul stuff, I rent a trailer.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392

also depends on JT trim. JT Rubi diesel I just built is only 6k.
Sponsored