(unseated) fuses?

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
We shouldn’t have to check that the fuses are properly seated any more than the engine has the correct motor oil, or the bolts hold the steering wheel are properly torqued.
Absolutely correct!! That doesn't mean that some simple things are not a good idea to check. Tire pressure and oil level also come to mind.

G.
Sponsored

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
I've been a long time Toyota owner, 2 Tundras, 1 Tacoma, 1 Avalon and a Corolla. Never had any fuse problems or strange electrical problems. I also have had a 300M and a Town and Country with no fuse or eletrical issues. To be honest I was having a hard time believing everyone on the fuses. So I go out today to my 20 JL (bought last October) and I pop the hood and open the fuse box. Almost every relay was not seated and around 25% of the fuses weren't seated. I don't know what to say other than I am extremely disappointed.

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
What is really surprising is that after all the posts, nothing seems to have been done.
How many owners have complained to dealerships or NHTSA?

It has to be considered a safety issue.

Jeep1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I replaced both my batteries over the weekend, after installing the PDC back on, pressed down on the fuses and relays, 80% of them was loose.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I'm at 30K miles and I checked my fuses (again). Yes, I had to seat a few fuses even though I do this at least once a year. This isn't a big deal and should be part of any maintenance schedule. I check the fuses on my motorcycles and yep, I have to occasionally seat a fuse or two. Nothing to freak out about.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think the issue is grossly over stated. Can you push the fuses in further than they come set from the factory? Absolutely. Are they truly loose (enough to not make the electrical connection)? Not in my experience. I read about the “issue” on the forum and decided to check. After 30k+ miles without a single issue, yes I could push most of the fuses in more. Was the factory setting an issue? Not for me. Was replacing a blown fuse on my 2017 ram rebel and decided to check while I was in there. 95k trouble free miles both run hard off road, 100mph+ in the desert, etc and run hard on the street, hauling as heavy as 2,700lbs in the bed, trailers up to 9k lbs, etc and all the fuses/relays were ”loose” from the factory. FCA likely doesn’t care because it’s not actually an issue for the vast majority of owners.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've heard the loose fuse issue many times on this forum. Since it seems like an extremely easy process improvement on the assembly line, why is it still happening? It seems like an all risk/no reward situation for Jeep. What I haven't been able to discern is how many Jeeps have this issue. Is it truly widespread, or do we simply only hear (loudly) from the impacted owners? [For the record, mine were rock solid from the factory.]

No matter whether the issue is big or small, it fits into the proverb, for want of a nail...
I heard from a reliable source that its part of dealer prep. Basically they are supposed to come like that from the factory.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I heard from a reliable source that its part of dealer prep. Basically they are supposed to come like that from the factory.
Any particular reason?

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my experience, I'd have to disagree that it's part of dealer prep. Before I picked up my new JL, I specifically asked the dealership (multiple times) to check the fuses/relays during PDI, half expecting they'd blow it off...which they did. At least 80% of the fuses/relays were loose, which indicates a severe lack of QC at both the factory and dealership. Sort of scary when you think about it, because if they can't get something simple like this right, what else might they have overlooked? Totally unacceptable IMHO...and another good reason to dump my beloved brand and switch to something built more reliably.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I think the issue is grossly over stated. Can you push the fuses in further than they come set from the factory? Absolutely. Are they truly loose (enough to not make the electrical connection)? Not in my experience. I read about the “issue” on the forum and decided to check. After 30k+ miles without a single issue, yes I could push most of the fuses in more. Was the factory setting an issue? Not for me. Was replacing a blown fuse on my 2017 ram rebel and decided to check while I was in there. 95k trouble free miles both run hard off road, 100mph+ in the desert, etc and run hard on the street, hauling as heavy as 2,700lbs in the bed, trailers up to 9k lbs, etc and all the fuses/relays were ”loose” from the factory. FCA likely doesn’t care because it’s not actually an issue for the vast majority of owners.
Well at 600 mile I was going around a simple curve and the dash lit up with all kinds of 4wheel drive messages/errors. Got home, seated 90% of my fuses and never a problem again...

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Well at 600 mile I was going around a simple curve and the dash lit up with all kinds of 4wheel drive messages/errors. Got home, seated 90% of my fuses and never a problem again...
I think you are the exception more than the rule. I’ve seen dozens and dozens of people post that they found their fuses not fully seated but very few like yourself that actually had any kind of issue arise. Not to mention, with the complexity of our drivetrain control systems you are assuming a cause and effect relationship that may not be true. We’ve had all those messages pop up from the steering wheel being held at an angle while driving straight over a long distance thanks to a massive wind storm. We’ve had those messages pop up from a failing wheel speed sensor. We had them pop up from a loose connector at the FAD. I’m not saying your issue wasn’t caused by unseated fuses, but I wouldn’t say it 100% was either. As Greg posted, sometimes fuses loosen up from use as well, as he routinely reseats his. It takes all of a minute to pop the cover and push them all down, but I’m still not sure it’s necessary or that it accomplishes anything. Go ahead and try to pull one of those unseated fuses out and decide for yourself if it wasn’t making a secure connection, they don’t come out easy in my experience.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I think you are the exception more than the rule. I’ve seen dozens and dozens of people post that they found their fuses not fully seated but very few like yourself that actually had any kind of issue arise. Not to mention, with the complexity of our drivetrain control systems you are assuming a cause and effect relationship that may not be true. We’ve had all those messages pop up from the steering wheel being held at an angle while driving straight over a long distance thanks to a massive wind storm. We’ve had those messages pop up from a failing wheel speed sensor. We had them pop up from a loose connector at the FAD. I’m not saying your issue wasn’t caused by unseated fuses, but I wouldn’t say it 100% was either. As Greg posted, sometimes fuses loosen up from use as well, as he routinely reseats his. It takes all of a minute to pop the cover and push them all down, but I’m still not sure it’s necessary or that it accomplishes anything. Go ahead and try to pull one of those unseated fuses out and decide for yourself if it wasn’t making a secure connection, they don’t come out easy in my experience.
lol... they come out easily if they are not seated.. you can damn near blow them out.....

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
lol... they come out easily if they are not seated.. you can damn near blow them out.....
The ones in my ram were hard to pull even with the puller, even though they weren't fully seated? Could have something to do with being in there for 90,000 miles though.
Sponsored