Sponsored

Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I disagree.

1. If cleaning material is the cause then all of us would have more screens than just the Uconnect screen with this problem.
I'm not talking about other screens, just the UConnect ones. They're cheaply made and don't have glass or other common protective material like phones, tablets, and laptops do. That's why it's commonly encouraged to put the protector on it immediately after purchase.

2. Why do all the screens start to delaminate at the same spot?
I'm not arguing about delamination. That's certainly a manufacturer defect (and a known one from LG which makes these screens) that should be addressed as a warranty item. I'm talking about this particular user's unit. It's not delaminating.
Sponsored

ashtonjarrett

First Name
Ashton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
The user I'm replying to doesn't have screen delamination, though. This is the oleophobic coating coming off the screen, which typically occurs when using chemicals to clean the display. It isn't considered a defect and virtually no dealership will consider it a warranty item.
The user I'm replying to doesn't have screen delamination, though. This is the oleophobic coating coming off the screen, which typically occurs when using chemicals to clean the display. It isn't considered a defect and virtually no dealership will consider it a warranty item.

This is not accurate information @Spank .

This is not oleophobic coating coming off. Oleophobic coating is near invisible as it wears down. It's purpose is to work like a protective layer against oils, liquid etc, it's basically a fingerprint repellent meant to make touchscreens "glide" under a fingertip. You don't see the coating wear down, everyone sees on day one their smartphone is shiny, fingerprints stay away, it's a smooth surface to work on; but over time fingerprints accumulate easier, but the naked eye does not see that thin coat wearing down.

This is anti glare material, anti glare material is susceptible to harsh chemicals like most coatings, but anti glare material can break down most commonly under the natural oils on everyones skin.

Delamination is used commonly in the consumer electronics industry to refer to coatings and physical panels alike separating from a display. Antiglare is a layer on a display, flaking, wearing down, separating, whatever you decide to call it is a laminate layer coming off; otherwise referred to as delamination. Another good example of this in consumer electronics is anti glare coating wearing on MacBook Pros a number of years back when oils from the keyboard would come in contact with the display, something the manufacturer covered as a defect (https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/20/macbook-pro-anti-reflective-repair-program/).

I did contact my local dealer and I actually have service for this in warranty tomorrow, they referred to is as others in the thread have mentioned as a well documented defect. My local dealer is also awful and has used any reason to try and not service issues I've had in the past (Steering box TSB was a multi month pain in my ass).

Definitely not trying to be confrontational, but putting antiglare on a surface people touch was a bad call and is widely understood to be susceptible to natural skin oils.

Source: For what it's worth my profession is in engineering specifically within the consumer electronics sector.

Edits: A few edits because my grammar is awful.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I'm not talking about other screens, just the UConnect ones. They're cheaply made and don't have glass or other common protective material like phones, tablets, and laptops do. That's why it's commonly encouraged to put the protector on it immediately after purchase.

I'm not arguing about delamination. That's certainly a manufacturer defect (and a known one from LG which makes these screens) that should be addressed as a warranty item. I'm talking about this particular user's unit. It's not delaminating.
I see what you mean.

ashtonjarrett

First Name
Ashton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I think the confusion in this thread is that the OP certainly looks to have a case of display layers in the panel actually separating, where areas others (like myself) have anti glare material coming off. Some further searching on the forum seems to me that while generally you can call both of these issues delmanination in a technical sense; folks are conflating the two issues into one. But both seem to have good samples sizes of in warranty replacements.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is not accurate information @Spank .
That's entirely possible. It's what was told to me by a dealership when I attempted to get this exact same issue fixed on one of my Challengers and was denied. Infotainment also told me virtually the same thing when I went to them for a replacement screen and they explained that LG revised the screens sometime last year to prevent not only the coating from coming off, but to stop delamination. I've always been careful to use only water to clean the screen on my JL and it's worked nicely.

Nonetheless, anti-glare or oleophobic coating aside, you're gonna have a hard time getting Jeep to warranty this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I didn't realize this was different. I only use water and a microfiber to clean mine. So I know nothing chemical caused the delamination. My dealer also knew what was going on with mine was a well known issue.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
My screen started delaminating last summer and now it is causing phantom touching. The screen is pretty much unusable when this starts to happen!
It looks like a scene from a sci-fi movie where the space man tries to enter the coordinates back to his home planet but no matter how hard he fights the on-board navigation system, he can't unlock any of the neighboring planets, yet alone the neighboring star systems!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I didn't realize this was different. I only use water and a microfiber to clean mine. So I know nothing chemical caused the delamination. My dealer also knew what was going on with mine was a well known issue.
When I had my JL UConnect replaced because of the dead aircard, the replacement unit's screen delaminated after a week of having it and was replaced again.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When I had my JL UConnect replaced because of the dead aircard, the replacement unit's screen delaminated after a week of having it and was replaced again.
Wow, after 1 week! Mine took almost 3 years and just over 36k to do it. The new one has been good, so far. I've had it a little over a year and about 18k and so far so good.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Do you just pull the lose delaminated glare cover off with your fingers? I will appreciate some pictures.
if its just the coating that is rubbing off then the alcohol works -
the anti glare coating is just a coating

if its a screen layer then that is another issue i know nothing about
and have never had it happen to me.
if you read post 72 by spank right under your post this is what i was referring to in alllll of my posts about that issue , not about an actual sreen layer the aka "outer film layer"
so if anyone thought alcohol would remove the film layer - part of the working layer for all laptops radios and other touch screen toys, sorry - this is only advice to remove the antiglare coating
pictured below - if your radio is like this - then this is the anti glare coating. this one is BAD but you get the idea .. the alcohol will work just rub it around untill the coating is gone and your left with a clean screen , minus the anti glare coating - then just add a screen protector with the anti glare coating on it .. u can even remove the radio bezel to get more removed .
Jeep Wrangler JL Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination 20180814_140555_cbff5f6180b9f26f1be7bebf6ce3404423961a3c

Sponsored

ScubaDubba

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
It looks like a scene from a sci-fi movie where the space man tries to enter the coordinates back to his home planet but no matter how hard he fights the on-board navigation system, he can't unlock any of the neighboring planets, yet alone the neighboring star systems!
If I was to replace the parts associated with the delamination myself, is there a preferred place online? I see parts online for either the screen or digitizer but not sure what I need exactly?

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
This is a known issue with the uconnect 8.4. My 2018 JLU was out of warranty but since it was a known common defect. The delaminating screen-mine started in the top left screen and would grow. Uconnect/Jeep replaced the entire unit. Jus had it done a few weeks ago at the dealership at no charge.

ScubaDubba

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
This is a known issue with the uconnect 8.4. My 2018 JLU was out of warranty but since it was a known common defect. The delaminating screen-mine started in the top left screen and would grow. Uconnect/Jeep replaced the entire unit. Jus had it done a few weeks ago at the dealership at no charge.
My dealership wants to charge me $1258 because I don't get my oil changed their and do it myself. Yet they started calling me daily for a week to try and get me to sell/trade my Jeep in after this visit. Wondering what recourse I have or next steps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination image0

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dealership wants to charge me $1258 because I don't get my oil changed their and do it myself. Yet they started calling me daily for a week to try and get me to sell/trade my Jeep in after this visit. Wondering what recourse I have or next steps.

Contact @JeepCares . They won't let the dealer get away with that bullshit.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL

Contact uconnect directly. That’s what I did If you call Jeep corporate they will forward you to them. I did not deal with the dealership other than they confirmed unit was delaminated, Uconnect ordered a replacement, one dealership received replacement unit I took Jeep in to get it replaced.
Sponsored