Sponsored

Turtleback Expedition and JLU Towing Capacity?

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Thank you for taking the time to share information. You said stainless can stretch and I get that, especially a possibility here with the lever arm. Did you end up making any changes to the tire carrier yourself? Did the 2x3 square tubing compress on you? Different U-bolts or anything? Or is it something you just have had to live with?

Additionally, and this may be a hard question to answer, but do you use your trailer and find it meets your needs now? I fully understand how frustrating something can be when multiple things are done incorrectly / not up to par. That can really color something bad regardless if it has any other good qualities. But if you still have your trailer, are there things you like about it?
I still own the trailer. The pictures of the rear tire carrier are from a camping trip over this 4th holiday weekend.
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Too further clarify. I personally do not weld. The welding is the only item I did not do with my own hands. I did all layout, fabricating, grinding, forming….
All fabrication was done in my 100 year old single car garage.
Is there a way to weld it without adding weight? I just decided to go with lithium so my unit (Getaway) fully loaded with everything should be closer to 2700lbs

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Is there a way to weld it without adding weight? I just decided to go with lithium so my unit (Getaway) fully loaded with everything should be closer to 2700lbs
No. The added weight was needed by adding steel plates to the under carriage, tying two frame main runners together. This allowed for better weight distribution and a solid platform.

The added steel was about 30lbs maybe 50lbs.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
No. The added weight was needed by adding steel plates to the under carriage, tying two frame main runners together. This allowed for better weight distribution and a solid platform.

The added steel was about 30lbs maybe 50lbs.
Well I just saved 80lbs going lithium. I’ll have to test this out and see how bad it rattles.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Well I just saved 80lbs going lithium. I’ll have to test this out and see how bad it rattles.
Saving 80lbs of weight can be a great idea. My batteries are located in the nose cone box. Removing 80lbs from that area will have a direct effect on tongue weight. I would guess about 50lbs reduced tongue weight. Tongue weight needs to be at least 10% of the trailer weight, a little more is better. I would discuss this with TB to verify tongue weight is properly addressed.
I also needed to address this issue when I added weight for the tire carrier improvements.
The weight distribution and suspension needs to be discussed further to truly appreciate the importance. I will follow up with more pics and discussion.

Sponsored

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Regarding weight distribution and suspension.
TB installed 2 different suspension systems on my trailer. I installed the 3rd suspension system to correct/improve.
The trailer is 72” wide.
The 1st suspension installed by TB had a WMS of 60”. The 2nd suspension installed by TB had a WMS of 64”.
The 3rd suspension system installed by me had a WMS of about 67”.
The overall height of the trailer TB built was about 84”.
The overall height after suspension modifications and removing the rack underneath the tent is about 75”.
All modification done by my was to lower the center of gravity of trailer and widen the stance of the trailer. These improvements drastically improved the towing experience. I know have confidence when towing the trailer. The Scary has been removed.
I further addressed weight distribution by relocating tent, water tank, batteries, additional batteries, structural supports and so on.
The previous pictures posted show the stance with the tires way inside of the fender flares. You can see the wider tire stance in the tire carrier improvement pics.
I will include additional pics here. Pics with aluminum propane tanks are the current form. Pics with JL wheels are the 60” WMS plus 2” wheel spacers. This setup rubber the inner fender. TB replaced this setup with the 64” WMS suspension.

D59DA99F-2F62-4CBB-8125-430D22C6710B.jpeg

12AF20BF-407C-40BA-8ED9-2DAAA7B7FFDF.jpeg

E5E17252-41FE-45F4-9CF1-7E877A0C3686.jpeg

38A984BE-00B4-4844-881E-E15D569DF9EE.jpeg

97D5070A-D32D-4051-9A9E-A46D6E0D3110.jpeg

D28249C3-787F-45BC-A2F6-B513499D12F0.jpeg

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Should have also mentioned the tire size size in all pictures is the same. Stock JL Rubicon 285 or as some say 33”. The wheels were changed for each suspension type at my costs. The 2nd TB suspension required a different wheel offset to work without wheel spacers. The 3rd suspension installed by me was to upgrade to a 6 lug wheel per Timbren instructions.

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Regarding weight distribution and suspension.
TB installed 2 different suspension systems on my trailer. I installed the 3rd suspension system to correct/improve.
The trailer is 72” wide.
The 1st suspension installed by TB had a WMS of 60”. The 2nd suspension installed by TB had a WMS of 64”.
The 3rd suspension system installed by me had a WMS of about 67”.
The overall height of the trailer TB built was about 84”.
The overall height after suspension modifications and removing the rack underneath the tent is about 75”.
All modification done by my was to lower the center of gravity of trailer and widen the stance of the trailer. These improvements drastically improved the towing experience. I know have confidence when towing the trailer. The Scary has been removed.
I further addressed weight distribution by relocating tent, water tank, batteries, additional batteries, structural supports and so on.
The previous pictures posted show the stance with the tires way inside of the fender flares. You can see the wider tire stance in the tire carrier improvement pics.
I will include additional pics here. Pics with aluminum propane tanks are the current form. Pics with JL wheels are the 60” WMS plus 2” wheel spacers. This setup rubber the inner fender. TB replaced this setup with the 64” WMS suspension.

Jeep Wrangler JL Turtleback Expedition and JLU Towing Capacity? D28249C3-787F-45BC-A2F6-B513499D12F0

Jeep Wrangler JL Turtleback Expedition and JLU Towing Capacity? D28249C3-787F-45BC-A2F6-B513499D12F0

I’m very curious to see how the trailer handles. I’ve read reviews from a few different sources stating it handles great, and even better with the Icon suspension and that it is a worthwhile upgrade. And these aren’t Turtleback just saying it but folks who overland/blog. I know that wasn’t your experience, and the changes you made would result in a better ride. Perhaps it’s a difference in expectation. Perhaps it’s the size of your wheels and tires. That’s one reason I’m going stock wheels/tires: lower center of gravity. Dunno. Time will tell.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I’m very curious to see how the trailer handles. I’ve read reviews from a few different sources stating it handles great, and even better with the Icon suspension and that it is a worthwhile upgrade. And these aren’t Turtleback just saying it but folks who overland/blog. I know that wasn’t your experience, and the changes you made would result in a better ride. Perhaps it’s a difference in expectation. Perhaps it’s the size of your wheels and tires. That’s one reason I’m going stock wheels/tires: lower center of gravity. Dunno. Time will tell.
I hope your experience is great!
I think we might have read the same reviews. And yes I did have high expectations because of the premium price.
I paid TB 35k without a tent or fridge. I bought the IKamper, shipped to TB they installed. FridgeFreeze was all me.

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I hope your experience is great!
I think we might have read the same reviews. And yes I did have high expectations because of the premium price.
I paid TB 35k without a tent or fridge. I bought the IKamper, shipped to TB they installed. FridgeFreeze was all me.
I sure hope so. For those interested, the most recent (November 2020) and most honest review I think I’ve seen from a blogger (and by honest I mean they actually take the time to point out flaws) is here: https://theprepared.com/blog/turtleback-expedition-review/

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, I was just coming here to report my findings and create a new thread.

I am seriously looking into an overlanding and off-road trailer like this so we don't have the lug around the RTT and awning all the time on top of the Jeep. Everything can already be loaded and stored in the garage. Just attach the off-road trailer and go camping.

It seems perfect, but YES, I AGREE. The cost of these things is shocking to say the least. I get that it's a niche market and can never fully scale to bring cost down, but still... I would love to find something similar to the Smittybilt for like 5K and I would be happy. Here's what I found so far from least expensive to more expensive. Anyone that's willing to add to the list, I would appreciate it as I am waiting to pick up my 392 over the next 8 weeks and have time to decide.

Honestly I just want something like the space trailer, but with a drop down door for cooking and I would be happy.

1. Space Trailers - Starting at $2,800.00
  2. Soloist Outdoor Bravo - Starting at $5,600.00
  3. Rugger 5' Sport - Starting at $6,100.00
  4. Valiant 452 - Starting at $6,500.00 (Back Ordered 14 Months)
  5. Tentrax Overland - Starting at $6,500.00
  6. Rugged and Ready - Starting at $7,250.00
  7. CVT M-416 - Starting at $7,800.00
  8. Smittybilt Scout Habitat Offroad - Starting at $7,900.00
  9. Highland Expedition T3.5 - Starting at $9,500.00
  10. Taxa Wolly Bear - Starting at $11,800.00
  11. Schutt XV-3 - Starting at $12,500.00
  12. Hickory Expedition - Starting at $16,450.00
  13. Turtleback Getaway - Starting at $16,995.00
  14. No Weld DIY Trailer - Build Yourself, Flexible Budget
Update: I went with a Turtleback Getaway T3 Package. I chose steel grey clear coat with blue decals to match my hydro blue 392.
Duh you are buying a 80k Jeep and wanting to buy a down scale off-road trailer? I ordered a OffGridTrailers expedition 2 with red wrap to match my Firecracker Red JLR. Just sold my motor home going back to basic camping .

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Duh you are buying a 80k Jeep and wanting to buy a down scale off-road trailer? I ordered a OffGridTrailers expedition 2 with red wrap to match my Firecracker Red JLR. Just sold my motor home going back to basic camping .
Well that doesn’t mean I don’t at least look at all options to convince myself my purchase is justified, but yes you are right. Buying an $80,000 car and cheaping out on the trailer doesn’t make much sense. That’s why I chose to fully spec out my turtleback. Really looking forward to getting it.

Wow! I just checked out the trailer you’re getting. Looks awesome. If you don’t mind sharing, what did you pay for it out the door and what is the total weight loaded?

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I was seriously considering a switchback from OTG. I ended up going TB due to their longer industry experience with trailer like that (switchbacks are very new) and I was disappointed with the options they offered compared to TB. Maybe I am wrong and they are comparable or even better. Psh wish I could know.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I was seriously considering a switchback from OTG. I ended up going TB due to their longer industry experience with trailer like that (switchbacks are very new) and I was disappointed with the options they offered compared to TB. Maybe I am wrong and they are comparable or even better. Psh wish I could know.
What options made you choose a TB?

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
What options made you choose a TB?
Minimum we wanted a sink, stove, lots of storage compartments (got 2 kids) awning, electrical, anex with place for anex storage (if possible) and of course a place for a RTT. Also we don’t want a tear drop or anything that sleeps folks - doesn’t make sense for us.
Off the grid came close. But I saw no options for awning, electrical takes up volume in the pass-through and there is no nose box. Fewer storage compartments also, and TB has the pantry in the kitchen which my wife loved.
Because of the lack of storage I didn’t pursue them further. I also don’t know if we could fit a massive RTT on it. We’ve got the two ladder version from 23zero on our order. TB hit all those check marks. Patriot did too, but my wife didn’t like their pantry setup and I didn’t like their lack of stabilizers to reduce sway and the lead times are over a year.
Sponsored