Sponsored

Turbo advice- worth it?

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Drive them both, buy what you want and do your homework. There are pros and cons to both engines.
4 cylinder pros
It has more peak torque
If driven properly it can get better gas mileage

4 cylinder cons
It has some complicated components that could be more costly in the long run
It requires premium fuel to get the best performance
It costs more upfront than the V6

I terms of performance I posted Car And Driver measurements in another thread but the bottom line is they are very close. 4cylinder has some advantages in some performance metrics while the V6 has advantages during other testing.

I, personally think it’s great to have options and have no ill will towards someone preferring one engine over another.
Sponsored

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2017 F450, 1986 Toyota Pickup
I think for a city car that won’t see much trail time the turbo is fine under a warranty. For a trail rig, the proven pentastar is the winner for me.

Chrissalexx

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn’ JLUR 2.0 ESS
The 2.0 is a cool engine, but I wouldn't buy it. The fuel economy isn't much better than the V6, the power is pretty similar, and it was a $1,000 premium last time I checked. I love my 2.3L ecoboost but thats in a 3600lb car, I feel like the weaker 2.0L with extra complexity of the BSG in a way heavier jeep wouldn't make me happy.

If I had to choose between the two today, I would go with the V6 since its tried and true. One less thing to worry about when wheeling. The diesel (and maybe the new FCA 3.0L turbo straight 6) are also really interesting and I can't wait to see them in a Wrangler.
The 2.0 has similar fuel economy to the 3.6 if it’s driven with a heavy foot or spiritedly. If you’re conscious on the throttle, the 2.0 can eek out more MPG than the 3.6. No matter how much you baby the 3.6’s throttle, you won’t see greater than 20-21MPG. The turbo has the advantage here with some members seeing mid to high 20’s on their stock 2.0L.

Furthermore, the “weaker 2.0L” actually provides 47lbs more torque at the wheels than the 3.6 (per ExtremeTerrain’s YouTube dyno comparison) while only losing 6hp at the wheels.

Now I do agree with you that the 3.6 Pentastar offers a simpler design than the 2.0 Hurricane engine. Perhaps if it were a mall-crawler or a daily that only saw pavement, the 2.0 would be a viable choice. However, there’s not enough data for me to trust it off-road. Also, the NEW 3.6 Pentastar has a higher compression (11.3:1) compared to the Pentastar used in the JK’s (10.2:1).

I’ve had a few hours to drive both engines on a couple of road trips. I loved the peppiness of the turbo but I would purchase the naturally aspirated due to the lack of BSG.
I did, however, place an order on a 2020 JLUR and picked the 2.0L since it doesn’t have the BSG. It should have less get-up-and-go than the current 2.0, but more than the 3.6.

5EF6184B-AA8C-495B-997C-D9DF20B2E1BC.png

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Drive them both, buy what you want and do your homework. There are pros and cons to both engines.
4 cylinder pros
It has more peak torque
If driven properly it can get better gas mileage

4 cylinder cons
It has some complicated components that could be more costly in the long run
It requires premium fuel to get the best performance
It costs more upfront than the V6

I terms of performance I posted Car And Driver measurements in another thread but the bottom line is they are very close. 4cylinder has some advantages in some performance metrics while the V6 has advantages during other testing.

I, personally think it’s great to have options and have no ill will towards someone preferring one engine over another.
Upfront it is NOW cheaper than the v6 . For 2020 turbo (auto is 1500) and 2500 for the auto v6. V6 manual is a no cost option though.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
We will just have to agree to disagree. I get a headache trying to argue with people who suffer from Dunning–Kruger effect.
If you have a headache it’s from spinning your words aswell as mine like a politician. Thanks for acknowledging you’re a troll with your stupid comment.

Sponsored

Placebo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something with 4 wheels
The 2.0 has similar fuel economy to the 3.6 if it’s driven with a heavy foot or spiritedly. If you’re conscious on the throttle, the 2.0 can eek out more MPG than the 3.6. No matter how much you baby the 3.6’s throttle, you won’t see greater than 20-21MPG. The turbo has the advantage here with some members seeing mid to high 20’s on their stock 2.0L.

Furthermore, the “weaker 2.0L” actually provides 47lbs more torque at the wheels than the 3.6 (per ExtremeTerrain’s YouTube dyno comparison) while only losing 6hp at the wheels.

Now I do agree with you that the 3.6 Pentastar offers a simpler design than the 2.0 Hurricane engine. Perhaps if it were a mall-crawler or a daily that only saw pavement, the 2.0 would be a viable choice. However, there’s not enough data for me to trust it off-road. Also, the NEW 3.6 Pentastar has a higher compression (11.3:1) compared to the Pentastar used in the JK’s (10.2:1).

I’ve had a few hours to drive both engines on a couple of road trips. I loved the peppiness of the turbo but I would purchase the naturally aspirated due to the lack of BSG.
I did, however, place an order on a 2020 JLUR and picked the 2.0L since it doesn’t have the BSG. It should have less get-up-and-go than the current 2.0, but more than the 3.6.

5EF6184B-AA8C-495B-997C-D9DF20B2E1BC.png
Good points, but knowing myself, I won't be able to keep my foot out of it haha. I wonder why the 2.0 dynos better, could it be underrated by jeep?

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
If you have a headache it’s from spinning your words aswell as mine like a politician. Thanks for acknowledging you’re a troll with your stupid comment.
You got me. I am a troll! Whatever the heck that means. LOL

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Upfront it is NOW cheaper than the v6 . For 2020 turbo (auto is 1500) and 2500 for the auto v6. V6 manual is a no cost option though.
Makes sense. Jeep has to do everything they can to improve their MPG numbers for tax purposes.

Sponsored

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
You got me. I am a troll! Whatever the heck that means. LOL
@Fays, you are clearly a Turbo guy. We get it. There is nothing wrong with liking turbos. Matter of fact, I appreciate you being the guinea pig for their new turbo setup. See, we can all be sarcastic if this was what these forums were about. I will let you decide if you are a troll or you are contributing to the topic.

Now back to the topic, it’s not speculation that turbos, historically, have more parts and require more maintenance AND the turbo itself will likely have to be replaced at some point. That is based on turbos up till now, in general. Yes, some owners take better care of their cars than others, turbo or no turbo. Yes, modern turbos on some of these engines have improved tremendously over previous years. We definitely don’t have enough information on this setup to say one way or the other. And honestly, I have no idea if this turbo will ever have to be replaced. Let’s assume it doesn’t ever have to be replaced.

Can I give you a homework assignment? These questions will help educate everyone on these two setups without taking into consideration other turbos or NA engines in the past. Just looking at the new Jeep JL here.

1. How much of a premium is the 2.0L turbo over the 3.6L for the 2018 and 2019? (Sticking with these years until we have more information on the 2020s)
2. How many more stated miles per gallon on average does the 2.0L turbo get over the 3.6L?
3. What octane is recommended for the 2.0L turbo? What octane is recommended for the 3.6L?
4. How often is it recommended to change the spark plugs in the 2.0L turbo versus the 3.6L?
5. How often are oil changes recommended in 2.0L turbo versus the 3.6L?
6. How often are the air and fuel filters recommended to be changed on the 2.0L turbo versus the 3.6L?
7. Does the 2.0L turbo or 3.6L operate at a higher temperature? Is it recommended to let the either 2.0L turbo or 3.6L idol before turning off the engine?
8. How many years has this 2.0L turbo setup been used in any FCA vehicle versus the 3.6L?

Looking forward to your findings and this will be great side by side data for maintenance. Thanks for your help and contribution to this thread.

leolo222

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I am 98% happy with my 2.0. What I did not realize when I bought it, is that it would need premium gas. That part I am not happy about. But damn doe it pick up speed fast. And I much prefer the quiet engine I have over the noisy 3.6.
I have a 2019 with the 2.0l Turbo and my manual states 87 octane(regular).
"This engine is designed to meet all emission requirements, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance, when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87, as specified by the (R+M)/2method.
The use of 91 or higher octane “premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing."

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I have a 2019 with the 2.0l Turbo and my manual states 87 octane(regular).
"This engine is designed to meet all emission requirements, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance, when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87, as specified by the (R+M)/2method.
The use of 91 or higher octane “premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing."
4K miles, and mine hasn’t tasted a drop of 91 or 93 octane. Straight top tier 87.

Performance is phenomenal to me, but I’ve mostly driven 3/4 and 1-ton trucks.

I love this engine (my first turbo other than Cummins, and that’s a different deal).

I also love the 8-speed that’s bolted to it. I’ve never liked an automatic transmission before.

If it shows signs of trouble during warranty period, I’ll just trade it in. Likely for another one just like it.

Too much fun.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
The E-Torque , or lack thereof, is NOT a performance issue, it's A front mounted ESS starter, and generator for the 48v lithium ion battery . Check out the European 2.0T export models with "standard" ESS, no loss of HP or torque without the BSG...
The E-Torque actually makes a huge difference off-the-line and at low RPMs (which, coincidentally, is where most wheeling is done).

Versus a non-BSG/E-torque turbo 4, there is no turbo lag and just overall a more peppy feel. The European 2.0T may put up the same dyno figures but the dyno doesn't catch the differences at low RPMs.

Haven't done much off-roading yet, but what little I have I was very aware of the near-instant torque at the wheels.

The BSG also makes for better start-stops (noticable difference versus 3.6) and also makes smoother shifts on the 8-speed.

I've been super impressed with it overall.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I just got done driving my 3.6 JLUR auto up to 13,800 feet in Colorado. Had absolutely zero issues and did just fine on the trails. Did Wheeler Lake and Tin Cup pass with no issues too. Even hit 90 mph on the highway after airing up. You're not going to win and drag races, but I still managed to get 15-17 mpg after a full day on the trails.
Sponsored