Sponsored

Tuffy tailgate lockbox anyone installed on yet?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The box itself doesn't rattle or squeak. I added two long powerful strip magnets to the inside of the box from Harbor Freight. They hold metallic stuff in place. Also from Harbor Freight I wrapped the stuff that rattled in bubble wrap. I added a U clamp to the inside of the box for running my ccw lock box cable through. It can also be used as a table. Probably best unexpected use is that it's a great place to apply your stickers.
I'd love to see pics of the things you've done, especially those magnetic strips! I used Harbor Freight tool draw liner on the inside of the surfaces where things sit, including the lid. I also wrap things together with rubber bands and such to stabilize them, but there are still plenty of things in there sitting loosely, but I've not noticed any of them rattling.
Sponsored

BumbleBee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2017 Subaru WRX, 2000 Honda S2000
I wanted to share a few pics of my install. Following everyone's advice it was super simple.

235360-7edc691dad674d23d09e301e45ae6b79.jpg

The box is mounted directly to the tailgate, and I used AmeriSeal Square Multipurpose Weatherstrip from Advance Auto Parts ($14).

235361-05707e72a48f36b7ae85bd4410b685a0.jpg

Although Tuffy puts a small amount of weatherstrip between the door and the frame it still rattles. I just added some of the square weatherstripping to the inside channel and it eliminated the play causing the noise. You can see the blocks in the picture below. Also, I decided to not used the interior shelving.

235364-d7d81995afb11e94bc0510116fe64c30.jpg

Attachments

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I'd love to see pics of the things you've done, especially those magnetic strips! I used Harbor Freight tool draw liner on the inside of the surfaces where things sit, including the lid. I also wrap things together with rubber bands and such to stabilize them, but there are still plenty of things in there sitting loosely, but I've not noticed any of them rattling.
I unloaded it for pictures. You can see the magnetic strips that I added. Super strong. Also shown is the U-bolt that I added for the CCW lock box. I used nylon lock nuts and lock washers on the back side of the U-bolt. Also shown is the amount of floor space that it takes, which I gladly gave up for the box.
20191007_185120.jpg
20191007_185041.jpg
20191007_190655.jpg
20191007_185743.jpg

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Question for you guys who mounted directly to the tailgate: I'm getting ready to install the Tuffy Tailgate Box. I'm looking at NOT using the plastic tailgate trim to save space. BUT. . . . does anyone have any advice on if I need to leave a gap there for the rear tailgate vent? Along that line, there is some heavy felt on the factory trim. I'm considering putting in a piece of air filter in that space (keep dust / noise from coming in.) Others appear to have sealed the edge with weather stripping. Any thoughts or advice on this plan and if airspace is needed?

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
I love what you guys did. Mounted mine up today. A couple of variations: I pop riveted a molle panel in to it for mounting items. Mounted it directly to the tailgate with some weather stripping. Used just a fender washer up too for a spacer and cut the bottom spacers down to 5/8 inch. Saved a bunch of space. Stuffed a foam air filter panel in behind to help with any noise / dust from the tailgate vents and did not put weather stripping on the inside of the box (where you can’t see it) to facilitate air movement if needed. Pretty happy with how it came out. Just need some stickers now!

20EE3975-EB34-4305-A91F-414F2624FC44.jpeg

D3522C7A-7595-493F-8946-F872DF17C99E.jpeg

4A56F3E9-64EF-4E63-B24C-D18F53469C57.jpeg

Sponsored

kiehtan

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Does a carry permit get around that? CT requires that you get a Pistol Permit to purchase or use at a range. It also entitles one to concealed carry, if so inclined.
I can't speak for NJ or CT, but in MA the LTC allows you to own AND carry a firearm. When and where you can carry may be restricted, however, depending on the license. For example, an "all lawful purposes" or "personal protection" license allows you to carry pretty much anywhere except a few restricted places like schools and court houses. The most restrictive license, "target and hunting" only allows you to go to and from a range or hunting location. You cannot stop and get a burger, even if your firearms is locked in your car; though this is a grey area (see stored below).

Regardless, if you remove it and leave it locked in your vehicle, it isn't being carried, it is either stored or transported. MA actually has specific laws for both transport and storage. If you are in your vehicle, it is being transported, even if the vehicle is not running. If you are not in the vehicle, it is being stored, and the rules are the same for having the firearm in your home.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I can't speak for NJ or CT, but in MA the LTC allows you to own AND carry a firearm. When and where you can carry may be restricted, however, depending on the license. For example, an "all lawful purposes" or "personal protection" license allows you to carry pretty much anywhere except a few restricted places like schools and court houses. The most restrictive license, "target and hunting" only allows you to go to and from a range or hunting location. You cannot stop and get a burger, even if your firearms is locked in your car; though this is a grey area (see stored below).

Regardless, if you remove it and leave it locked in your vehicle, it isn't being carried, it is either stored or transported. MA actually has specific laws for both transport and storage. If you are in your vehicle, it is being transported, even if the vehicle is not running. If you are not in the vehicle, it is being stored, and the rules are the same for having the firearm in your home.
I'd tell them I stopped at Wendy's to take a dump.

kermudjin

First Name
Dyspashanut
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU; 2015 BMW F800R
Occupation
Ex-wife’s Sexual Advisor—she said when she wants my f’ing advice she’ll ask for it!
Four year update: Still very happy with the tailgate locker! Well constructed, no problems.

But I could not tolerate living in NE anymore and moved back home to central NC 3 years ago! So happy I did!
Sponsored