Sponsored

Trouble shifting to 4H

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
The first few times I shifted into 4H or 4L, I had to yank on it, now it is quite a bit smoother.

To go into 4L, I believe you will need to be at a standstill in "N". :)
Sponsored

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hard to shift to 4HI is normal, but does free up "some" after several shifts. It feels like you might break something, but that is mostly because there is no longer direct linkage, it uses a cable which will deflect some when really putting effort into it. Also, the manual states (and it works best at least for mine) that you should be moving 3 to 5 mph and shift the transmission to neutral and then shift to 4LO while still slowly rolling.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I shift in and out every couple of weeks, just to keep a feel for what it's like going in and out of 4H because it does NOT feel right, even though it works. More like a 1959 Ford pick up I tried once. Even my TJ shifted in and out better; and that thing was a highway-capable farm tractor, compared to a JL. Definetly feels like you're gonna snap something. But it's okay because I have hands free phone calls. Progress and priorities....

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I shift in and out every couple of weeks, just to keep a feel for what it's like going in and out of 4H because it does NOT feel right, even though it works. More like a 1959 Ford pick up I tried once. Even my TJ shifted in and out better; and that thing was a highway-capable farm tractor, compared to a JL. Definetly feels like you're gonna snap something. But it's okay because I have hands free phone calls. Progress and priorities....
Funny you should mention farm tractor, because my four wheel drive diesel farm tractor will shift from two to four wheel drive with two fingers. My JLU is two hands! :)

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I've gotten to the point 2wd to 4wd high is reasonable, 4wd high to 4wd low is doable but shifting back out of 4wd low is a real struggle. I have the B&M extended shift lever for the transfer case on my Christmas list and I'm hoping that will be a help.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
actually, shifting to 4Lo works best rolling with the Trans in N at walking speed.
(your manual says:
"The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 1 to 3 mph (2 to 5 km/h))."

The first few times I shifted into 4H or 4L, I had to yank on it, now it is quite a bit smoother.

To go into 4L, I believe you will need to be at a standstill in "N". :)

RubiHOG

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2017 Harley Road Glide
Doesn’t the JL use the same transfer case as the JK, which uses the same one as the TJ? Why would it be harder to shift the JL case?

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn’t the JL use the same transfer case as the JK, which uses the same one as the TJ? Why would it be harder to shift the JL case?
Cable vs direct linkage

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How would a cable make shifting harder? Regardless, when they are new, these xfer cases are rediculously hard to shift. NP or whoever is the supplier should be held to a better standard. The for quite a while, my xfer case felt like I'd bend the lever before it shifted.

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
How would a cable make shifting harder? Regardless, when they are new, these xfer cases are rediculously hard to shift. NP or whoever is the supplier should be held to a better standard. The for quite a while, my xfer case felt like I'd bend the lever before it shifted.
It doesn't make the transfer case shift harder, but if you notice the "flex" when pushing/pulling on the shifter, that's the cable flexing rather than forcing the transfer case. It gives cause to the comments that "something may break." The cable is much cheaper to install at the factory. Time will tell if it holds up as well as the linkage.
Sponsored