Trouble shifting to 4H

aciccarelle

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Hi everyone, thanks for the add! I've only had my wrangler for a little over a month and this is my first snow storm with it. I tried putting into 4H today and the shifter just won't move. I applied a pretty strong force, but didn't want to break anything, but it will not seem to budge. I tried moving it while in park, while in drive around 15-25 mph, and with my foot off the gas and nothing seems to work. There is also nothing on my dashboard saying whether I am in 2H, 4H, N, or 4L, not sure if that only pops up when it is shifted, or if something is wrong. The gear moves the slightest bit down, but won't click in and as soon as I let go, it slides right back up into 2H. Again, I really tried forcing it but its really locked in there. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance!
Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Its pretty hard to move at first. After a few times it starts to loosen up. Its best to be rolling at a constant speed so the gears can align easier.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
As mentioned, it’s tough to get it into - and out of - 4HI for a while. The more you do it the easier it will be to engage. Shifting into 4LO is even worse.

Here’s where the shift indicator is.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trouble shifting to 4H image

Last edited:

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you o not see the indicators at all, something is amiss. The 4WD indicators should alwaus be showing, with the current mode being brighter than the rest.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trouble shifting to 4H FD32F884-D2F7-4FEF-B7CF-594594E2A79D

This is an example photo of the jeep in 2High.

OP
OP
aciccarelle

aciccarelle

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As mentioned, it’s fought to get it into - and out of - 4HI for a while. The more you do it the easier it will be to engage. Shifting into 4LO is even worse.

Here’s where the shift indicator is.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trouble shifting to 4H FD32F884-D2F7-4FEF-B7CF-594594E2A79D
Thank you! I didn't wanna keep pulling on it and have something snap, but its definitely a challenge, I will try it again. Should that indicator light be there all of the time or only when it's being shifted? Cause I looked up a video and saw that, but that's definitely not on my dashboard...

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thank you! I didn't wanna keep pulling on it and have something snap, but its definitely a challenge, I will try it again. Should that indicator light be there all of the time or only when it's being shifted? Cause I looked up a video and saw that, but that's definitely not on my dashboard...
I don’t specifically recall, but it’s possible that you have to set it to display in settings somewhere. It’s on at all times for me.

OP
OP
aciccarelle

aciccarelle

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you o not see the indicators at all, something is amiss. The 4WD indicators should alwaus be showing, with the current mode being brighter than the rest.
FD32F884-D2F7-4FEF-B7CF-594594E2A79D.jpeg

This is an example photo of the jeep in 2High.
Oh no, not what I was hoping! That's definitely not on my dashboard, I was looking for it when I was messing with the gear earlier, and was hoping it just popped up only when it was being shifted. Hopefully it's just the display and not mechanical, I'll mess around with it and see if I can get it to shift without breaking something! Thank you!

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Oh no, not what I was hoping! That's definitely not on my dashboard, I was looking for it when I was messing with the gear earlier, and was hoping it just popped up only when it was being shifted. Hopefully it's just the display and not mechanical, I'll mess around with it and see if I can get it to shift without breaking something! Thank you!
My apologies, the post above made me realize that not all dashboards always show the transfer case indicator as the photo above I posted is from a rubicon instrument cluster. Either way, the lever is mechanical so you should be able to switch the transfer case to 4High even if all your electronics were inoperable (although if your electronics are inoperable, you’ll have a different issue as the FAD will not connect so even though your transfer case will shift into 4high, your front axle will be disconnected, but that’s totally beside the point). The lever itself will become easier and easier to shift with use.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I find meaningless differences between Sport, Sahara and Rubicon like this one absurd. And there are so many of them.

Sport, Sahara and Rubicon now have different grilles, different fenders, different bumpers, hoods, door panels, spare carriers, instrument panels, etc., etc.

FCA would save us buyers a bundle if it standardized and shared components across models as widely as possible, instead of generating endless permutations of every little piece.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Trouble shifting to 4H 20201216_162721
Jeep Wrangler JL Trouble shifting to 4H 20201216_162721
Here's what it looks like in a Sport. You gotta pull straight back really hard while moving.
Jim,

your a bad boy, I see that TPMS alarm ....thats not safe :LOL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I know right? Please don't alert the authorities, I live in California and I think that and disabling ESS will get me the chair here.
A solar powered chair at that... :LOL:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I know right? Please don't alert the authorities, I live in California and I think that and disabling ESS will get me the chair here.
My plan after the holidays are over is to more than likely get JSCAN up and running and turn TPMS off, I’m just tired of dealing sensor issues.
Sponsored