TPMS Fault ?

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
So I had a set of 17" Nitto Grapplers with aftermarket TPMS sensors on my 2017 JKU with no problems at all. I bought a 2020 JLU and put the tires from the '17 onto the '20. The below is what I'm seeing. I don't understand why I getting a low tire pressure alarm when all 4 tires are reading 37#. I would think that if the sensors weren't compatible with my current TPMS system that they wouldn't read pressures, but they are.
Has anybody else experienced this?

Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS Fault ? TPMS Fault
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Some TPMS sensors don't put out a strong enough signal for the sensors on the JL, also aftermarket wheels with a lot of backspace push the sensors out far enough that it registers a weak signal. You will still get a display of pressure, what the system is telling you is not that you have a low tire but rather it thinks one or all of your sensors are going dead. Don't worry, after about a year you get used to the light being on all the time. You can turn it off with a Tazer or Flashcal but unfortunately that turns off the entire TPMS system, so no display. I just live with the light so I can still see my tire pressures.

OP
OP
Roadglider09

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Some TPMS sensors don't put out a strong enough signal for the sensors on the JL, also aftermarket wheels with a lot of backspace push the sensors out far enough that it registers a weak signal. You will still get a display of pressure, what the system is telling you is not that you have a low tire but rather it thinks one or all of your sensors are going dead. Don't worry, after about a year you get used to the light being on all the time. You can turn it off with a Tazer or Flashcal but unfortunately that turns off the entire TPMS system, so no display. I just live with the light so I can still see my tire pressures.
Thanks for info. I have no problem ignoring the light.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
It did the same thing on my 2018 so the local shop I had do the work replaced all the sensors and things worked but then they started cutting out again so again the shop again replaced my sensors and I just swapped them as they went out and just recently several have gone out again, I have 35’s and my wheels have a large offset and the way the sensors are in the wheels I was told pushes them out to there limit so if they go out again I will just pull all the sensors and run with none.

OP
OP
Roadglider09

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
It did the same thing on my 2018 so the local shop I had do the work replaced all the sensors and things worked but then they started cutting out again so again the shop again replaced my sensors and I just swapped them as they went out and just recently several have gone out again, I have 35’s and my wheels have a large offset and the way the sensors are in the wheels I was told pushes them out to there limit so if they go out again I will just pull all the sensors and run with none.
Are you using pen sensors?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roadglider09

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So I had a set of 17" Nitto Grapplers with aftermarket TPMS sensors on my 2017 JKU with no problems at all. I bought a 2020 JLU and put the tires from the '17 onto the '20. The below is what I'm seeing. I don't understand why I getting a low tire pressure alarm when all 4 tires are reading 37#. I would think that if the sensors weren't compatible with my current TPMS system that they wouldn't read pressures, but they are.
Has anybody else experienced this?

Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS Fault ? TPMS Fault
Same sensor for both years unless your 2020 has TFA (Tire Fill Alert) then they are Schrader 29117 but Schrader #20398 will work for the TPMS portion just not the TFA.

The newer JL's are having problems with the radio Jeep has installed having a strong enough signal for the TPMS to pick them up consistently.

We have found OEM sensors (doesn't mean the dealer just Schrader brand) are working the best. 18's are worse than 19 and 19's worse than 20's. Once you go lift and thicker tires it is even worse. If it only picks up the sensors occasionally and not every rotation you will get the correct PSI but the light stays on because it thinks something is wrong because it is not picking it up every rotation.

Hope that helps.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've read on a couple of occasions about sometimes needing to inflate the tires a few pounds over 37psi to get the light out, before dropping it back down to your normal street pressure. The light stays off as long as you don't drop it below the factory threshold. In those situations, they had pressure readings, but just wanted the light out. Whenever I've come across posts about bad sensors or tires being too thick to transmit the signal, both the light were lit and the pressure readings were replaced with "--". Try slightly overinflating them. It may also work for you, and just costs a bit of time.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Roadglider09

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I've read on a couple of occasions about sometimes needing to inflate the tires a few pounds over 37psi to get the light out, before dropping it back down to your normal street pressure. The light stays off as long as you don't drop it below the factory threshold. In those situations, they had pressure readings, but just wanted the light out. Whenever I've come across posts about bad sensors or tires being too thick to transmit the signal, both the light were lit and the pressure readings were replaced with "--". Try slightly overinflating them. It may also work for you, and just costs a bit of time.

Good luck!
It’s worth a try! Thanks

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Good luck!
Two different problems. When you get the — and the light the sensors isn’t doing anything. One problem CAN be the sensor is asleep. Dropping the PSI ten PSI, drive it for a few blocks and then fill back up to the door placard MAY wake it up and get it working again, or at least the PSI. ALL TPMS work off the door placard PSI. About (and I say about because different manufacturers vary a bit) 10% below that and the light will come on. Putting more air can also sometimes wake them up but going down usually works better.
Sponsored