Build Thread
Link

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
https://transistor-man.com/everything_etorque.html

Came across this.. dont ask how/why.. Im not sure I can explain :)

But some interesting info in there if interested.
So our eTorque motor has a max theoretical output of 45ft/lb of torque before driveline losses?

Then where did everyone get the 90ft/lb of torque number that regularly gets thrown around here and everywhere else on the internet?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
https://transistor-man.com/everything_etorque.html

Came across this.. dont ask how/why.. Im not sure I can explain :)

But some interesting info in there if interested.
The service video (webinar) was fantastic. wish I were on that mailing list for other FCA service subjects.
learned much about this e-torque system function and dispeled much bad information that seems to float around the inter-webs' and forums.

I am waiting to start seeing posts about damage done during 100k belt servicing to the Hydraulic metering device.....This should be considered a sticky post for that reason alone.

I seriously appreciate you posting this. I rank it in best of the best in real information for an e-torque owner. I'm old school but this service vid may have changed my mind in regards to e-torque system.

Spoiler alert:
I wonder how many actually know the 48v gen becomes an induction motor that starts the engine after a start stop event (not the 12vstarter). Dispels the starter wear "speculation".
It also has its own indipendent cooling syatem which utilizes the same coolant and service intervals of the main cooling system. Highly valuable to the DYI guy.

Dane Kouttron is the kind of guy you would love to be a neighbor to. His projects are interesting and impressive to say the least.

Thank you Richard !

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
So our eTorque motor has a max theoretical output of 45ft/lb of torque before driveline losses?

Then where did everyone get the 90ft/lb of torque number that regularly gets thrown around here and everywhere else on the internet?
The 5.7 V8 version?

Sponsored

j2.pictures

First Name
Justin Null
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
CDJR Salesperson
Definitely did not understand most of that, but it is interesting to see how much thought has to go into this for this seemingly "simple" system (lol) to work.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The 5.7 V8 version?
Maybe, but I honestly can't figure it out. The Ram website states 130lb/ft torque for the 5.7 v8 and other places confirm, with 90lb/ft for the v6..

"It provides a brief torque boost of 90 lb-ft in V-6 RAMs and 130 lb-ft in V-8 models."

https://greencarjournal.com/technology/how-ram-etorque-works/

Wait, found it! Think this would explain how they get 90lb/ft of torque from the 45 created by the generator..

"It does provide power to initially start the vehicle moving — 12 horsepower for the V-6 and 16 for the V-8. Torque output of 39 lb/ft for the V-6 is multiplied by the belt drive to create a 90 lb/ft assist and the V-8 version creates 49 lb/ft, again multiplied by the belt for an assist of 130 lb/ft."

https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/.../a-look-at-the-ram-1500-etorque-a-mild-hybrid

You'd think this would be interesting shit that Jeep/Ram would want to advertise and more clearly explain to consumers themselves. 🤷‍♂️

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I love mine! Why is it done for 2024??

G.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Ahoy, I'm the guy who wrote up the e-torque post, feel free to send questions if i have any answers. The writeup is incomplete as waking up the motor has been surprisingly difficult
Do you happen to know if the brief torque assist for a stopped vehicle occurs only if you're coming out of electric start/stop (ESS) with the engine off, or does it also work if the engine's already running?

Kinda wish instead of having 2 different live fuel-economy gauges, they would've given us a tweaked live MPG/eTorque gauge, that maybe changed colors to show whenever the eTorque motor was providing assist power and whenever it was scavenging power to recharge the battery.

Probably wouldn't be useful info for anyone, but just think it'd be neat/interesting to see exactly when it's doing its thing in real-time.

Obi Wan

First Name
Obi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
starwars.fandom.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU SPORT S 2.0, 2004 TJ SPORT 5.3LS
Occupation
Jedi Knight
@jmccorm , have you had any experience with this in your CANBUS reverse engineering project?

Operation: Prepare to reverse engineer two CAN Bus's

With writing my own FOC induction motor controller deemed 'an expensive uphill battle' the next plan was to listen in on the motor CAN of an operating vehicle. This involved finding a vehicle that i could listen to, and crafting up some hardware (connectors, a cable harness and data logger) to parse the comical quantity of CAN traffic. Three CAN busses is inaccurate, its really two CAN and one LIN bus.

@transistorman, this is the guy you want to talk to.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have one but curious if anyone has had a failure of the motor due to a coolant leak? When looking at the seal, it seems like it would be an expectation after a while just like the locker sensors failing in the Rubicon axles.