Topsy Lift thread

Heatonrx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlU Rubicon
Everyone seems to put swimming noodles or pipe insulation on the bottom as a bumper. Doesn't look like it touches the bottom of the rack. I have the Topsy kit. Can anyone confirm this? I have three short pieces of pipe insulation from a water tank install I never used. Won't cover the whole rack, but maybe if I cut it in half it would. My rack is up just have't taken the top off yet. Does it hit when first going up?
Sponsored

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
Swimming noodles or pipe insulation on a Racor lift - It's not for protection while you're lifting. Instead, it protects the hard top from being scratched by the when lowering the platform to initially hookup/lift the hard top or when setting the hard top back down on the Jeep.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I installed the racor rack and topsy pieces the other day and, just today, at long last, removed the roof of my JL.

It went well-enough, I guess. I had difficulties with the front brackets and getting them to rest comfortably and symmetrically. I confirmed that I had ordered the correct parts. I searched for photos of the install on a two door JL...no luck, just unlimited after unlimited. The Topsy site didnā€™t provide any additional information than is found in the printed installation instructions, which are, well, not very detailed.

It being after 5 pm on a Friday, and the whole roof-removal process in full-swing (bolts off, JL positioned, etc), I chose to modify things a titch: I moved the forward hockey-stick shaped brackets inward about 3 inches each. In other words, the brackets are no longer held in place with the eye-bolts at the edges of the front bar. See photos. It works great.

Now the question is did I perform the initial installation incorrectly? Or was I sent an incorrect pair of forward brackets?
Same issue here, and Topsy also seemed surprised to hear this, nearly 2 years later. You inspired me to drill new holes and problem solved. Thanks!

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
I just ordered and installed the all new Topsy Hinge brackets. I say all new because Topsy revised the shape. They have a new profile and a small slot instead of the larger hole, that they made in the past. Anyone know when they changed to this new slim design? I hope my ratchet strap ā€œSā€ hooks fit the smaller slot. The last pic is the old style pic from the instruction sheet.

4A342660-0416-44DC-9C3C-B0B848411675.jpeg

124AEB65-6C40-4D75-A2A2-5D6E11897D2F.jpeg

C0ED7140-DF35-4EAC-B545-7FF74FE95FA4.jpeg

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Has anyone used the Rancor hoist and Topsy hinge brackets with a hard top that has a Rhino Rack (or similar rack installed)? I have 4 door JL Rubicon with the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on my hard top and Iā€™m wondering, A) will it work with the hoist, and B) will this exceed the weight limit of the hoist?

Sponsored

JeepNut80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used the Rancor hoist and Topsy hinge brackets with a hard top that has a Rhino Rack (or similar rack installed)? I have 4 door JL Rubicon with the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on my hard top and Iā€™m wondering, A) will it work with the hoist, and B) will this exceed the weight limit of the hoist?
There is a post in a different thread where the guy posted a pick of his racor hoist and topsy hardware lifting a hardtop with the pioneer rack attached. Looks like a solid setup.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I do it, it works.
A1B72439-877C-41EB-AFC4-D868828060FD.jpeg
BEAA33FA-2109-4BF0-B672-DE5D0C849CA1.jpeg

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Itā€™s an S hook, but only bc my helper was too cheap to buy something more secure. A quick link would probably be ideal.

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Yea, I haven't lifted the top off with them yet. I put some short cargo straps and carabiners on order through Amazon. They should be here on Monday.

The only thing I'll note is that the hinges on the rear window are spring loaded. When you loosen the hinge bolts, they tend to press outward, maintaining pressure on the bolt head and washer. Once you loosen a side, you'll want to use your thumb to press against the center of the hinge so you can slip the bracket under the washers. It can be a little tedious but it still only takes a few minutes.

This picture is just to illustrate what I'm talking about.
43093550671_b980514aee_b.jpg

42374877854_38dd6b9c26_b.jpg

Note that the bracket doesn't appear to impact the other side of the hinge. There is plenty of room in there so it's not putting any pressure on the glass.
42374877804_f1d5cae452_b.jpg

Just a quick look at my Racor lift setup. I put my hardtop up there on Sunday and just took it down last night to put the brackets on. It took about 30 minutes to take the top off without the brackets using a cargo strap threaded under the hinges for the rear. It took me about 15 minutes to put the top back onto my Jeep.
43093550691_abfc07b4e9_b.jpg
Maybe two years late but how is you racor lift doing ?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe two years late but how is you racor lift doing ?
Still works great. For now itā€™s holding my roof top tent. Iā€™m going to relocate that later and go topless this month.

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
racor lift Is discontinued just spoke to the company. Any alternatives šŸ˜‡
Sponsored