Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I'm trying to get some 37's that are close to being true to size
Goodyear Duratracs are available in 37” with 20” wheels. Not sure how much they weigh but as far as I know, these are true to size. For reference, the 35” tires are 61 pounds.
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I've run BFG KM2s on my last two rigs. I was all set to try the new KM3s this time, but there's a long wait before they come back into stock. I like Toyo and Nitto mud terrains, but the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s look good as well. At 66lbs they're a good dozen pounds lighter than the others. [the Nittos are a porky 80lbs] Any thoughts folks?
the original mtz was a great tire on the rocks and it performed great in the mud. I only put on a couple thousand miles over the 10 years they were on my trail rig so not sure about tread life. It was on par with the original mtr which is preferred by most in regards to the current mtr.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The lightest high quality tire that I've found are the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s. I'm basing the quality on the Discount Tire rating. They have two 35s rated as "best": The Mickey Thompson and the KM3s. The KM3s weigh 75lbs and the MT's are 66lbs.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I just went with 34" instead of 35s and weight was a huge factor for me. My new Toyo A/T IIIs weigh in at only 59 pounds. I didn't wish to risk needing to re-gear for acceptable performance and I don't have enough real world experience as this is my first Jeep "build" to know for sure one way or the other. Rotational mass and basic inertia seem significant.
Even the cost of added weight on the tail gate was a consideration for me.
The 34” C AT3’s? How are they?

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Weight has been a significant factor in my decision process as well. I have run KOs for years and now the KO2s and like them a lot, but a good MT is where I’m going next (and I’m so over how much gravel the KOs always pick up).

I’ve had good success with the original MTRs, but they aren’t top of my list anymore. I looked hard at Toyo MT but that would have been about 35 lbs above stock per tire with my wheels factored in. Went light on my wheels as well.

At the end of the day, I think I’ve settled on STT Pros, which are not too much heavier than 315 KO2s or Duratracs. But I still haven’t pulled the trigger.

But for all the Toyos and Nittos I see on Jeeps, clearly not everyone cares too much about tire weight.

Sponsored

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door with premium soft top
The 34” C AT3’s? How are they?
Well I'm liking them so far on the street. They are quiet and I like the look. Perhaps a bit more subtle than 35's would have been which is perfect for me. I'm using the stock spare bracket and the tire just rubs slightly on the bumper. Not sure if I need to modify that.

I have yet to go off road though so that'll have to be some future testing. Haven't found the right tire pressure yet either and working on that lowering a pound so so every couple days and driving awhile. I also just installed a Tazer Lite to adjust the speedometer to the correct tire size so I'm playing with that a bit too right now.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Weight has been a significant factor in my decision process as well. I have run KOs for years and now the KO2s and like them a lot, but a good MT is where I’m going next (and I’m so over how much gravel the KOs always pick up).

I’ve had good success with the original MTRs, but they aren’t top of my list anymore. I looked hard at Toyo MT but that would have been about 35 lbs above stock per tire with my wheels factored in. Went light on my wheels as well.

At the end of the day, I think I’ve settled on STT Pros, which are not too much heavier than 315 KO2s or Duratracs. But I still haven’t pulled the trigger.

But for all the Toyos and Nittos I see on Jeeps, clearly not everyone cares too much about tire weight.
I recall reading that unsprung weight has a 10:1 impact versus weight reduced from the vehicle itself.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Goodyear Duratracs are available in 37” with 20” wheels. Not sure how much they weigh but as far as I know, these are true to size. For reference, the 35” tires are 61 pounds.
20s would be detrimental to any weight saving afforded by the tires. Looking at rotory forged wheels and possibly Falken MT. The tires are about 73 lbs each, which is pretty good for a 37 that is strong, and the wheels should be around 30lbs each. Not exactly super lightweight compared to stock, but for 37s that can take some trail and rock abuse, it ain't bad.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Weight is definitely a factor to me. But moreso for the whole system. It cracks me up when one gets focused on tire weight then puts it on 35-40lb wheels (looking at you, Black Rhino). I'll stick with my OEM 22.5lb wheels until I need a 8.5" wide in which case a nice aluminum wheel should come in around 25lbs max.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
what tire pressure is everyone running for BFGood Rich K02's 285/75/R17. Man the internet is all over the place. I figured my friends here would tell the right answer. I do use it as a daily. One guy told me 40 psi and another told me 24 to 26. I have the same set on my Toyota Tacoma and we stop by discount tires to get the pressure checked (Arizona, ya never know) and they always put 37 psi in. I did the calculation for weight and load and I come up with about 32, so I always let the air out and they are fine great treadwear. But just curious what you guys are running.

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Yes weight is a killer for jeeps.
I keep mine as light as possible

for tires/wheels

procomp wheels for now 29lbs which is okay. Id like to get something down to 26

tires ive had, duratrac in 315/70r17 at 61lbs. So thats 90lb total.
Now I have mickey thompson deegan 38 MT in the same size at 63lbs. Very light mud terrain, so far have worked very well

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Yes weight is a killer for jeeps.
I keep mine as light as possible

for tires/wheels

procomp wheels for now 29lbs which is okay. Id like to get something down to 26

tires ive had, duratrac in 315/70r17 at 61lbs. So thats 90lb total.
Now I have mickey thompson deegan 38 MT in the same size at 63lbs. Very light mud terrain, so far have worked very well
Yeah I am now 59 lbs

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLURD, ‘02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
I've run BFG KM2s on my last two rigs. I was all set to try the new KM3s this time, but there's a long wait before they come back into stock. I like Toyo and Nitto mud terrains, but the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s look good as well. At 66lbs they're a good dozen pounds lighter than the others. [the Nittos are a porky 80lbs] Any thoughts folks?
Very important on my 4.0 TJ with 37’s that weighs at least 1000lb more than stock. Less so on my torque monster diesel I’m waiting on.

I had 37x12.5r17 Trail Grapplers that were on my TJ when I bought it. Had them for 3 years and 20k miles (they probably went 40-50k). Great tires, but really heavy at 84lb. When they wore down, I just replaced them with 37” Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 that are about 10lb per tire lighter. They are also a great tire and have performed just as well on road and off, while being lighter. That being said, I specced my JLURD with 35x12.5r17 Trail Grapplers, which they say way 80lb, but I’m not as worried because of the torque that the diesel makes.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I recall reading that unsprung weight has a 10:1 impact versus weight reduced from the vehicle itself.
I’ve seen similar claims but also others that are lower than 10x. But at any rate unsprung weight it’s not to be overlooked in my opinion

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

it is certainly a factor for me.

i have lightweight wheels on 315/70/17 Patagonias. i recently tried out a friends BFG KM3s in 35/12.50/17 on the same wheels. the tires were noticeably heavier; in driving and manhandling. just putting them on the jeep and on the spare tire mount was a bear. i could feel my jeep being more sluggish while driving around on them (slightly). also quite a bit stiffer ride/sidewalls. it was not as pleasurable to drive as it is on the Pats.

unfortunately i didnt weigh the wheel/tire combo on my $$ scale but they were definitely heavier. 5-10lbs each at least.
Sponsored