Sponsored

New Wheels/Tires Decision

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I didn't word that exactly right (damn alcohol). You said it right, less chance of damaging the wheels. Realistically, I hardly ever get off road with the whole work/life thing but definitely need to. With my highway mileage I probably need to stick with the 17" wheels and a moderate lift if any but dang those higher lifted big wheeled beasts look good!
I thought you might have meant that but the clearance threw me off. Like I said, I like the old school look with the smaller wheels and taller tires, but I have seen some of the 20's that didn't look bad on lifted jeeps. My problem is I don't like the glitzy wheels. I like a rugged spoked look. Something like the Fuel Beast is what I will ever go with if I change mine out. Otherwise I really like the new Rubicon standard styled wheels
Sponsored

OP
OP
PaleRider

PaleRider

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sahara
I'm kind of in the same situation, but looking to keep my stock 18 inch Sahara wheels, but going to 33's. Would Nitto 285's be too big? I know the KO2's would be fine. I would like to stay around the same height as I am right now, no lift as of now.
Far as I know and have read, 285's would be fine. People put 35's on with zero lift.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Okay, so I have a 2017 Sahara Unlimited and am ready to get new wheels & tires. With SO many options out there I wanted to get some advice from all of you out there. To help, I drive a lot of highway miles (2017 with 74k miles already) but I want a good on and off road tire option. I've leaned towards some moab take offs as I do love the black wheels and those meaty tires but recently saw a fellow member with 20" black rhino sidewinder wheels and toyo open country tires that look damn good. Some of my local wrangler buddies are saying to go with 17" wheels for clearance over terrain, so I'm really not sure which direction to go. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Pic of my wrangler attached.

20161210_162840.jpg
You do not want to go the 20" wheel route unless they are super titanium. The reason most Jeep owners stay around 17 or 18 inch wheels is to get more tire on the road, mountain, crevice, etc. You will hate the ride of a 20 as well, unless you are putting 40's on and I doubt that. With that Jeep right there. I would go for a 4 in lift and some nice 35's. You start getting to 37's add more lift and above all, there is a realization at the gas pump, not to mention your jeep wasn't built to start and stop those big of tires. Next is width. I like a nice tire that is barely outside the fender well, a 10.5 is great a 12.5 is too wife in my opinion. The wider the tire the worse traction in mud, on the other hand the wider the tire the better in sand and very soft dirt.. If dont want to go with a lift stick to some nice 8.5 wide wheels and some good 33's on BFG's KO2's look nice
Sponsored