New Wheels/Tires Decision

PaleRider

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sahara
Okay, so I have a 2017 Sahara Unlimited and am ready to get new wheels & tires. With SO many options out there I wanted to get some advice from all of you out there. To help, I drive a lot of highway miles (2017 with 74k miles already) but I want a good on and off road tire option. I've leaned towards some moab take offs as I do love the black wheels and those meaty tires but recently saw a fellow member with 20" black rhino sidewinder wheels and toyo open country tires that look damn good. Some of my local wrangler buddies are saying to go with 17" wheels for clearance over terrain, so I'm really not sure which direction to go. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Pic of my wrangler attached.

20161210_162840.jpg
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I can really only speak to my experience with my Rubicon’s stock KO2’s, but I will say they’ve been excellent on the highway (probably 75% of my 8,000+ miles) and they have done well off-road too. I’ll be getting them again.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I can really only speak to my experience with my Rubicon’s stock KO2’s, but I will say they’ve been excellent on the highway (probably 75% of my 8,000+ miles) and they have done well off-road too. I’ll be getting them again.
I agree. I've been pleased with my stock Rubicon tires as well and will most likely get them again when the time comes.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I agree with the ko2's, they are very quiet on the road. From what people on here have said the Moab tires are loud. You could always plasti-dip the rims if you like black and can't find the Moab rims. There is also a company that sells black stickers for the rubicon rims.

Only downside from my stock sahara setup is I lost about 1 mpg. I dont like huge overstated tires so the 33" rubi package was perfect for me.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
NITTO Ridge Grapplers 1000%

C124F2E1-4BC3-4A58-882E-1451710B0862.jpeg

Photo Credit: Google

Fly like a butterfly on the highway.

Sting like a bee off-road.

Very effective Tire and surprisingly quite.

Going to get another set when these wear out.

Currently have 18.9k on these and they’ve been great so far.

Highly recommend.

Article Here

Last paragraph describes them as what you’re looking for as well:

“The reality for many is that the off-road rig on the weekend also doubles as a daily driver during the week. The Nitto Ridge Grappler doesn’t require a huge tradeoff for truck and SUV owners, proving you don’t need to compromise having a bumpy, loud ride around town for the sake of a tire with great off-road performance. Marketing pitches will always appeal to our every want and need, but in Nitto’s case, we’re happy the Ridge Grappler actually delivers on its promise.”

F76DAC9E-15EA-4045-80ED-4E8430806906.jpeg

Photo Credit: Off-road.com
9DC27508-8874-4BAD-92D0-BDACA756E5F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I liked the 285 ko2's enough to stick with them when I bumped to 315's. In the spring time I plan on another bump up, and may go with the 37x12.5 ko2's. My only hesitation is that they are only offered in a load range D.

Mangoman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Pharma R&D
My vote would be for Nitto Ridge grapplers. I had 2 sets on my JK over 68,000 miles. They wore great. Now I have them on my JL. Great on wet roads, quiet on the highway, and never let me down off road.
And I love my Fuel wheels. Had Enduros on my JK and Menace on my JL.
33 x 12.50 R17

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaleRider

PaleRider

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sahara
I agree with the ko2's, they are very quiet on the road. From what people on here have said the Moab tires are loud. You could always plasti-dip the rims if you like black and can't find the Moab rims. There is also a company that sells black stickers for the rubicon rims.

Only downside from my stock sahara setup is I lost about 1 mpg. I dont like huge overstated tires so the 33" rubi package was perfect for me.
I've only heard great things about the K02's which is the direction I was looking at originally but started thinking I wanted to be different from what everyone else had, so I started looking at aftermarket wheels. Gas mileage is important but I've already succumbed to the fact I'm never getting great mileage lol I'm getting about 18 currently

OP
OP
PaleRider

PaleRider

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sahara
NITTO Ridge Grapplers 1000%

C124F2E1-4BC3-4A58-882E-1451710B0862.jpeg

Photo Credit: Google

Fly like a butterfly on the highway.

Sting like a bee off-road.

Very effective Tire and surprisingly quite.

Going to get another set when these wear out.

Currently have 18.9k on these and they’ve been great so far.

Highly recommend.

Article Here

Last paragraph describes them as what you’re looking for as well:

“The reality for many is that the off-road rig on the weekend also doubles as a daily driver during the week. The Nitto Ridge Grappler doesn’t require a huge tradeoff for truck and SUV owners, proving you don’t need to compromise having a bumpy, loud ride around town for the sake of a tire with great off-road performance. Marketing pitches will always appeal to our every want and need, but in Nitto’s case, we’re happy the Ridge Grappler actually delivers on its promise.”

F76DAC9E-15EA-4045-80ED-4E8430806906.jpeg

9DC27508-8874-4BAD-92D0-BDACA756E5F9.jpeg

I've checked these out before and they get crazy good reviews. What size did you go with?

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've checked these out before and they get crazy good reviews. What size did you go with?
Yeah, man you wont find a bad review anywhere on the net about them.

In-fact my buddy in our office who also has a JL ironically has the same set and also loves them.

33" 285/70R17 if I remember correctly.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Not really sure how the 17" gives more clearance over the 20". The height of the tire wheel combo will probably be the same. But the 17" with a 70 series tire will give you more rubber and less chance of damaging the rims off road than a 20" with say 50 series tires. Personally, I like the look of the rubber rather than the wheel so the 17" look better to me. However if you are going with a highly raised vehicle and 20" rims and tires with big sidewalls, that's a different story.

OP
OP
PaleRider

PaleRider

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sahara
Yeah, man you wont find a bad review anywhere on the net about them.

In-fact my buddy in our office who also has a JL ironically has the same set and also loves them.

33" 285/70R17 if I remember correctly.
Seems most people go with the 33" and a 17" wheel, more rubber less wheel. That 20" wheel just looks damn good but that cost doesn't lol

OP
OP
PaleRider

PaleRider

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sahara
Not really sure how the 17" gives more clearance over the 20". The height of the tire wheel combo will probably be the same. But the 17" with a 70 series tire will give you more rubber and less chance of damaging the rims off road than a 20" with say 50 series tires. Personally, I like the look of the rubber rather than the wheel so the 17" look better to me. However if you are going with a highly raised vehicle and 20" rims and tires with big sidewalls, that's a different story.
I didn't word that exactly right (damn alcohol). You said it right, less chance of damaging the wheels. Realistically, I hardly ever get off road with the whole work/life thing but definitely need to. With my highway mileage I probably need to stick with the 17" wheels and a moderate lift if any but dang those higher lifted big wheeled beasts look good!

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I'm kind of in the same situation, but looking to keep my stock 18 inch Sahara wheels, but going to 33's. Would Nitto 285's be too big? I know the KO2's would be fine. I would like to stay around the same height as I am right now, no lift as of now.
Sponsored