Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
After getting the brown off spray your tires with 303 protectant, I have been using it for over a year and my tires don’t brown, I actually use the 303 on all exterior plastics and rubber even wheel wells.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Good information here. Just be careful because some cleaning products can etch into the aluminum alloy wheels.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
As many others have posted, a stiff tire brush goes a long way with a good soap.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Comet, water and a stiff brush. Or the best, drive in some deep soft sand for while. I don’t like to “dress” or “shine” my tires. It doesn’t look good and that shit gets all over everything.

One thing I did find years ago, and my work for you. Use Amor All foaming tire dressing before you wash. Spray it a hot tire, let it sit until the foam dissipates. You can see the brown stuff melt away. Then wash the tire and wheel. Do one wheel at a time as you don’t want it to dry on a hot tire. It should be nice and matte black with no oily residue.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Had the same issue of tire blooming and turning brown. Tried few different cleaners (soap didn't work, simple green didn't work also tried a bathroom cleaner and didn't work). Photo on left is after those 3 failed attempts then tried Mothers Back To Black Tire Cleaner today. Amazing product..spray on, let sit 15 seconds and wipe off. Great results and gave me that matte black new tire look I wanted. You can see before/after results after 1 application.
20210928_185842.jpg
Hmm that sounds more like a dressing rather than a cleaner (spray on wipe off). Can it be hosed off, or do you have to wipe it off. If its a dressing, you could get the same results with something like armor-all (spray on wipe off) but your not actually cleaning anything. I actually got good results with Zep-505 purple degreaser, but that's not a dressing it an actual cleaner. Your pic does look good though. Going to do a little research and if its not a dressing I'll pick some up today. Sorry but this is a topic of obsession for me.

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
@Spearmin it is a cleaner and not a dressing. I didn't want to mask it or cover the browning with any gel or tire shine. I wanted it gone. I did some research as well and saw a video online so bought it. Spray it on, 15 seconds watch the foam immediately turn brown as it loosens the blooming brown and then it just wipes off, no rinse. I thought you may have to wipe hard or scrub but it wipes off pretty easy. The tires are matte black just like they were when new. Gave me the look I wanted without putting any dressing on them. I have not washed the tires since application but a few days have passed and they look nice matte black still.

Photo of the product attached. Also taken from the product description: Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner is the solution you’ve been looking for to remove the brown from your vehicle’s tires. Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner is formulated with encapsulating cleaning agents to dissolve and lift stubborn browning, dirt, soil, grease, grime and road film, leaving your tires with a factory-fresh black appearance.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Browning Help Mothers

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Update:

I recently went out and purchased Zep 505 degreaser, it's only $4 from Home Depot. A quick spray on the tires and the browning came right off with very little scrubbing. The product is great for the price; would highly recommend. Here's a pic of half the tire sprayed.
I found the purple one to be better but still not perfect. Still on the hunt for a stellar resolution to this issue.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@Spearmin it is a cleaner and not a dressing. I didn't want to mask it or cover the browning with any gel or tire shine. I wanted it gone. I did some research as well and saw a video online so bought it. Spray it on, 15 seconds watch the foam immediately turn brown as it loosens the blooming brown and then it just wipes off, no rinse. I thought you may have to wipe hard or scrub but it wipes off pretty easy. The tires are matte black just like they were when new. Gave me the look I wanted without putting any dressing on them. I have not washed the tires since application but a few days have passed and they look nice matte black still.

Photo of the product attached. Also taken from the product description: Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner is the solution you’ve been looking for to remove the brown from your vehicle’s tires. Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner is formulated with encapsulating cleaning agents to dissolve and lift stubborn browning, dirt, soil, grease, grime and road film, leaving your tires with a factory-fresh black appearance.
Thanks I just order 2 bottle from Amazon. They were 6.99 each. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Welp.... tried out the Mother's Back To Black tire cleaner. Wasn't able to do the spray on whipe off method due to my tires being waaaay to nobby for that. Sprayed it on seconds before going through the carwash. Results are OK but they still don't look good as new. Zoom in on the picture and you will see what I mean. The search to remove tire browning continues.

IMG_20211007_133005.jpg

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Give this a try. A good stiff brush (for the tires only, not the wheels) works great also. I have used this when the tires are brown and it gets them black again. Also, a little Simple Green helps too

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Browning Help 1634086240237

LT1

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
This stuff is what I recommend.
IMG_7877.jpg

Seconding Jack Bauer's recommendation for Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care and Tire Cleaner. Company Response regarding these products and safe use on JL Series OEM polished alloy clear coated wheels:

First remove any mud by spraying it off with water, then clean your tires with Tire Soap or Wash ALL Degreaser. I recommend using old microfiber towels or cotton towels when cleaning your tires and you want to make sure to get to the point where you can wipe the towel on the tire and not remove any more dirt or residue. Once the tires are completely clean, spray Rubber Care on the tires and let it soak for a few minutes, then come back and respray the tires and wipe them down with a microfiber towel. Both products are completely safe for your factory wheels and the Tire Soap or Wash ALL can even be used to clean the wheels as well. If you get Rubber Care on the wheels just wipe off the overspray with a microfiber towel.

Thank you,

David Salazar
General Manager

Phone 210-525-0707 Ext 101
Web www.washwax.com
Email [email protected]
12122 Colwick St, San Antonio, TX 78216

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Actually I now use ZEP industrial purple degreaser to clean the tires (works very very well). Then as a tire dressing I user CarPro pearl which dries to a matt non-oily finish, and last for months. Leaves your tires looking new, but not all shiny and oily. The CarPro stuff is expensive, but I'm always looking for the best and all of the stuff they put out is 10 times better than anything else I have ever bought.
Sponsored