First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
I currently have a set of Toyo OC AT3 (285/70R17) on my Sahara. Over the past 6 months or so, it's gotten scary to drive on any kind of wet road with these tires. Case in point, on Saturday I was going to central PA and made a turn to get on the highway and was sideways because there was moisture on the road. This turn was done like a gramma (case of whiskey in the back), so I babied it.

Long story short, contact the tire dealer i bought the tires from, and they are sending me 4 new tires (i'll have to buy the 5th, but I digress). I think I am down to the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the KO2. I'm leaning toward the Falken, but the weight scares me, and he said I could get 285/75 but Falken only has that in an E load.

The KO2 doesn't come in C load in 285/75, so I'd have to move to a 315/70 (C2 Load) or stay at a 285/70. These are light in weight, but the horror stories that they are awful on wet roads has me scared to even look at them, but yet, there's a gazillion vehicles out there with them....

I do have a 2" spacer lift on the jeep so I can run 34/35" tires, but again, not many tires in those sizes that aren't E-Load.

I don't do a lot of off roading, so the biggest factors are highway handling, comfort, and how it handles wet/snowy roads. I REALLY don't want to do an E load tire, but it is what it is if I need to.
Sponsored

Chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom Unlimited
We have the Falkens on our Wrangler and Gladiator. No complaints at all, yes they are a little heavy but haven't noticed it at all. They do well in the Florida rainy season to.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Have had no issues with KO2's in wet conditions been on them for 3 years.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
My KO2’s have been stellar in the wet; what is your current inflation pressure?

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
My KO2’s have been stellar in the wet; what is your current inflation pressure?
running the Toyos OC AT3 was at 35. called toyo when the slipping and sliding started, they said to inflate to 39psi. did that, and the problem has continued. First time I've had a Toyo tire that i've hated.

Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Increasing the tire pressure will typically decrease the tire contact patch...so I’m unsure why Toyo would have stated that.

Additionally.....this time of year there’s some “gunk” that falls out of the trees prior to the leaves shedding. Maybe you have encountered some of that, but maybe it is a tire thing in relation to a rubber compound change or something.

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Increasing the tire pressure will typically decrease the tire contact patch...so I’m unsure why Toyo would have stated that.

Additionally.....this time of year there’s some “gunk” that falls out of the trees prior to the leaves shedding. Maybe you have encountered some of that, but maybe it is a tire thing in relation to a rubber compound change or something.
Something about the load number that the tire has to support. Said at 35 they are under inflated for the vehicle, and that was causing lack of grip.

they are LT285/70R17's. I've tried the chalk test, but i'm about as mechanically inclined as a tack in the wall. I can't tell if the chalk is wearing off evenly or not. looked the same at 35 as it did at 39.

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I’ve had the KO2 rubicon takeoffs on mine from the dealer. I never had a traction problem in the rain, snow, or ice. I ended up with the wildpeak due to the supply shortage of 37/12.5 r20 kO2’s this summer. If I found them they were going for $460 each. I got the Falkens for $375. The tread is almost identical, both are snow rated, but they are much heavier (82 lbs) and ride stiffer due to the load rating. My daily driver for work is a F250 super duty so I actually prefer a stiffer ride. Both are a good choice but if the dealer is giving them for free they should give you all 5 since the spare needs to match. They will resell it anyway.

Sponsored

Deleted member 74991

I currently have a set of Toyo OC AT3 (285/70R17) on my Sahara. Over the past 6 months or so, it's gotten scary to drive on any kind of wet road with these tires. Case in point, on Saturday I was going to central PA and made a turn to get on the highway and was sideways because there was moisture on the road. This turn was done like a gramma (case of whiskey in the back), so I babied it.

Long story short, contact the tire dealer i bought the tires from, and they are sending me 4 new tires (i'll have to buy the 5th, but I digress). I think I am down to the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the KO2. I'm leaning toward the Falken, but the weight scares me, and he said I could get 285/75 but Falken only has that in an E load.

The KO2 doesn't come in C load in 285/75, so I'd have to move to a 315/70 (C2 Load) or stay at a 285/70. These are light in weight, but the horror stories that they are awful on wet roads has me scared to even look at them, but yet, there's a gazillion vehicles out there with them....

I do have a 2" spacer lift on the jeep so I can run 34/35" tires, but again, not many tires in those sizes that aren't E-Load.

I don't do a lot of off roading, so the biggest factors are highway handling, comfort, and how it handles wet/snowy roads. I REALLY don't want to do an E load tire, but it is what it is if I need to.
Had the AT2’s on my truck and it was scary driving in the rain you couldn’t turn even a little bit without losing grip. Switched back to KO2’s and never looked back.

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
think i'm going to roll with the 315/70 KO2's in a C load. I'm kinda bummed about the Toyo's because i've loved every Toyo tire i've ever drove on, though this is my first A/T tire from Toyo.
Sponsored