Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I paid for a warranty to take me to 125k miles and I'll assess as I get near there.
Sponsored

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
I bought one of the first gen Ecodiesels in a new Ram 1500. I was a member of that large user forum and there were consistent reports of those engines having catastrophic lower end failures. Engine replacements were estimated to be as high as 4% of production. One member was even able to track the number of replacement engines available on a weekly basis in N.A.

Personally, I put 22K trouble free miles on mine before I sold it. But those were 99% long trip highway miles usually involving towing. In fact, several of those forum members delivered travel trailers for a living and were seeing 300K-400K on their 3.0 engines without issue.

I decided to order my current generation 3.0 because I know there have been many improvements over the first gen and this engine is simply amazing. Are there failures? Of course. It's a mechanical/electronic device. And it's true that it needs to be run hot and worked hard sometimes. If I were only going to be putting short in-city commuter trips with it, the hybrid would have been a better choice.

The truth is, it's the Jeep service network that has systemic issues. So many were closed during the last recession and never reopened so there is a much smaller service network now for a much larger user base. And many of the existing dealer service departments are incompetent, dishonest, or both.

For me, that's the real issue and where the focus on improvement needs to happen. @JeepCares should be an integral part of a plan by FCA to take command of it's dealer service network, as it's current function is obviously nothing more than a combative triangle between manufacturer, dealer, and customer.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
So I had been looking at the diesel for a while and it seems like the way people talk about the Engine/Exhaust system these have a limited lifespan until costly repairs are expected. What is everyone’s plan as these start getting into the 70-100k mile range?
what specifically are you worried about? As a technology, diesel is very proven for longevity. While I would feel better if it was the RAM engine, curious as to what issues you are talking about.

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L ecodiesel
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
Just a reminder the worst thing for these DEF Systems is town only driving and idling. The exhaust needs to heat up to clean out the particulate filter that causes most of the issues. I've seen Jeeps and Rams with less than 7k miles have the "Service DEF System" pop up because they don't drive anywhere. You need to either drive with a heavy foot or go on a decent length road trip to have the exhaust heat up to clean out that filter. You can probably find EcoDiesel Delete systems by now, but if you live in an Emissions testing required area, or care about your warranty, it's pointless.

Also, how the dealer cleans them out, is a Re-Gen. Basically they park your vehicle outside, it's hooked up to a computer, and it runs at about 3,500-5k for an hour or so. Sounds awful for the motor but that's what all the manufacturers do.
this is not true, do you own a diesel?

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
what specifically are you worried about? As a technology, diesel is very proven for longevity. While I would feel better if it was the RAM engine, curious as to what issues you are talking about.
I hear a lot about the longevity of the DPF filter across various sources. Not specific to the Ecodiesel necessarily but just the technology in general.

Sponsored

FWA05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on my Rubicon
I put 30k on my 2020 that I just traded in and had no issues. I really enjoyed it. I went on a 4600 mile road trip and it performed amazingly. I would still have it if the dealer hadnt given me so much for it on my trade in.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Diesel is done. The emissions regs starting in 2007 ended everything. The emissions equipment has become too complicated, expensive and fragile. All the major oems have been busted for cheating regs out of desperation beyond the uber complexity. Everyone who has owned a 2007+ from any maker has learned the hard way. Might take another decade for everyone to figure that out. They still sell them because there are still clueless chumps - who, despite about 14 yrs now of internet chatter - are willing to pay an extra 6k up front and at least as much for repairs later - to live out some childhood fantasy of being a trucker.

Last edited:

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Diesel is done. The emissions regs starting in 2007 ended everything. The emissions equipment has become too complicated, expensive and fragile. All the major oems have been busted for cheating regs out of desperation beyond the uber complexity. Everyone who has owned a 2007+ from any maker has learned the hard way. Might take another decade for everyone to figure that out. They still sell them because there are still clueless chumps - who, despite about 14 yrs now of internet chatter - are willing to pay an extra 6k up front and at least as much for repairs later - to live out some childhood fantasy
of being a trucker.
This has got to be the most idiotic statement I have read on this forum.

Sponsored

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
My plan is to buy a new vehicle before the warranty is out, as I have done for the last 20+ years.
That or engine swap/upgrade. Worse case, you don’t complete the swap the roller will still be valuable on the market.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This has got to be the most idiotic statement I have read on this forum.

(in response to "Diesel is done..." comment from NBB)
Ford just killed the Diesel Powerstroke option on the F-150, a mere 3 years after introduction. Why? The gasoline and gasoline/hybrid engines are cheaper and have better paylod/towing and comparable fuel economy.

I'm a British car fan and I'm on a few forums. Diesel percentage of light duty/passenger car sales in the UK where it was usually the highest in the world, went from the vast majority (>>50%) to miniscule (11%) in the last 3 years.

I think the weight and cost of passenger/light-duty vehicles diesels that meet US/EU regulations have an expiration date on them. For commercial/heavy-duty, they will live on a lot longer, but even Ford is hedging it's bet and developed a brand new 7.3L gas engine from scratch for the Super Duty.

P.S. I think it is one thing to roll into a Cummins or even a Ford dealer that sells a lot of Super Duty trucks to get service for your diesel. Rolling into a Jeep dealership that has never worked on diesel engines to get one serviced is a completely different ball game.

Buckshot184

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.0L diesel
FWIW I have had my diesel about 1 year and it is nearing 20k miles and it’s been running like a beast. I did have to get a new exhaust manifold because some of the welds broke loose causing a lot of rattle at idle. But it was fixed in 1 day. That was around 10k miles and it’s been perfect since.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
5K in and my Jeep is a beast on and offroad. My steering is another matter, but the engine is awesome. zero regrets.