Ticking Timebomb?

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So I had been looking at the diesel for a while and it seems like the way people talk about the Engine/Exhaust system these have a limited lifespan until costly repairs are expected. What is everyone’s plan as these start getting into the 70-100k mile range?
Sponsored

jl-ecodiesel

First Name
Wiliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Ecodiesel
So I had been looking at the diesel for a while and it seems like the way people talk about the Engine/Exhaust system these have a limited lifespan until costly repairs are expected. What is everyone’s plan as these start getting into the 70-100k mile range?
At this point, I am wondering if I am going to regret buying the ecodiesel. 11k miles and in the shop for engine stall on the freeway. Shop had to call @JeepCares as they have no idea how to fix it. ECS and EFC are both down, sounds like alternator is bad. Just a cluster of electrical issues. Been in the shop a few days without any indication of what the resolution is going to be.

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
At this point, I am wondering if I am going to regret buying the ecodiesel. 11k miles and in the shop for engine stall on the freeway. Shop had to call @JeepCares as they have no idea how to fix it. ECS and EFC are both down, sounds like alternator is bad. Just a cluster of electrical issues. Been in the shop a few days without any indication of what the resolution is going to be.
At least the work would be under warranty at this point.

jl-ecodiesel

First Name
Wiliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least the work would be under warranty at this point.
Agreed. My bigger concern is future reliability. I was lucky that it stalled only a few miles away from the dealer. We do a lot of traveling and having this happen where you are really stranded is a real risk at this point. Will wait to hear from the dealer as if they are willing to communicate all codes thrown and the root cause of the issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m glad you posted this, I have an EcoDiesel on order right now and am starting to get scared of of buying it
Yeah I have gone back and forth. The torque sounds really nice! I also don’t usually keep my vehicles too long so they are typically under warranty. I do wonder though if the longevity of some of the parts would affect resale values.

Processing

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yeah I have gone back and forth. The torque sounds really nice! I also don’t usually keep my vehicles too long so they are typically under warranty. I do wonder though if the longevity of some of the parts would affect resale values.
I don’t mind fixing it if it’s out of warranty, I plan to keep it for a while, but I’m starting to get paranoid wondering if FCA will keep parts like injectors, crate engines, etc in stock in case a repair is needed

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR , 2017 Ram 2500, 1990 YJ
Just a reminder the worst thing for these DEF Systems is town only driving and idling. The exhaust needs to heat up to clean out the particulate filter that causes most of the issues. I've seen Jeeps and Rams with less than 7k miles have the "Service DEF System" pop up because they don't drive anywhere. You need to either drive with a heavy foot or go on a decent length road trip to have the exhaust heat up to clean out that filter. You can probably find EcoDiesel Delete systems by now, but if you live in an Emissions testing required area, or care about your warranty, it's pointless.

Also, how the dealer cleans them out, is a Re-Gen. Basically they park your vehicle outside, it's hooked up to a computer, and it runs at about 3,500-5k for an hour or so. Sounds awful for the motor but that's what all the manufacturers do.

jl-ecodiesel

First Name
Wiliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m glad you posted this, I have an EcoDiesel on order right now and am starting to get scared of of buying it
Trust me, at this point, I am very concerned about the future reliability of this vehicle. I just called @JeepCares to see who has the ball with this issue and what kind of resolution I can expect. While every dealer is different, it is also concerning when the Jeep mechanics say we don't know how to fix this and have to refer to Jeep. It is at one of the areas largest dealerships. What happens when you get stranded in nowhere ville?

Sponsored

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
The electrical problems are not a Diesel issue only. Seems Jeep has some issues with the very complicated electrical system. I very much enjoy the Diesel. It's excellent on-road and has proven itself off road. If you're hesitant, don't get the diesel. I know of several 3.6 in newer JL's that have been replaced under warranty. My TJ (original owner) engine had to be replaced at 55K. This was a babied vehicle with consistent and frequent oil changes and the 'rock solid' 4.0 still didn't make it. If you want a vehicle that will go 200K, get a Subaru, only vehicle I've ever owned that was still running at 250K. Now, my daughter has a Patriot with over 200K miles so there is some hope for Jeep.

Processing

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The electrical problems are not a Diesel issue only. Seems Jeep has some issues with the very complicated electrical system. I very much enjoy the Diesel. It's excellent on-road and has proven itself off road. If you're hesitant, don't get the diesel. I know of several 3.6 in newer JL's that have been replaced under warranty. My TJ (original owner) engine had to be replaced at 55K. This was a babied vehicle with consistent and frequent oil changes and the 'rock solid' 4.0 still didn't make it. If you want a vehicle that will go 200K, get a Subaru, only vehicle I've ever owned that was still running at 250K. Now, my daughter has a Patriot with over 200K miles so there is some hope for Jeep.
This is what I’ve been looking to hear, it just seems everyone hates on the diesel and I want to love it

jl-ecodiesel

First Name
Wiliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I’ve been looking to hear, it just seems everyone hates on the diesel and I want to love it
I would agree with this sediment from @Processing. I love the diesel Jeep and have had diesels for years including an 8.3L Cummins in my RV. It's not the diesel engine or power train I am concerned about, it would seem to be everything else around it. A complete breakdown at 11k miles is not encouraging no matter how much you love a diesel. So far they are not saying much other than multiple electrical systems failure. I may gain a bit more confidence if they are honest at the of this and say exactly what the root cause is so we know what to expect down the road.

Last edited:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Get the 4xe of you want torque. I've put over 1,000 trail miles on it and its phenominal how it crawls with the 4:1 transfer case. 2 weeks in Moab was phenomenal. Got 7,000 total miles on it now without any problems. Batteries and electric drivetrain are warranted for 10 years.

jl-ecodiesel

First Name
Wiliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spoke to the dealership this afternoon and the response was they have no idea what to do. The term the service tech used is "we are stumped". Now that is really encouraging when the certified diesel and Jeep mechanic put their heads together and stumped is the outcome.

Guess I won't be seeing my new Jeep for a while.
Sponsored