MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using a Waylens for the past few years but starting to wonder what to do with it when I get my Wrangler. It's a pain to constantly put up and take down but there's no chance it'll last long when the Jeep is open. Trying to come up with some ingenious way to conceal it.
Where did you find to mount it in your JL.... Is it a 360 model and will it work on the roll bar upside down.
Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone mounted a dual camera like the Vantrue N2 Pro on the roll bar.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
“Most” States means a majority. So, in 26 states or more, they are illegal? Can you cite me a reference in, oh, 3 States, that Dash Cams are illegal? Now, if you go with the “windshield obstruction” argument, you MAY be correct that SOME dash cams may be considered an obstruction. However, some of them are smaller than some state-toll-road-authority EZ-Tag thingies. Hard to make an argument that a Dash Cam is an obstruction when it is actually smaller than the toll tag.

Can you explain what you mean by “Data privacy laws”? Better yet, can you cite me an actual example that a Dashcam, that takes pictures only, is in violation of “data privacy laws” at either the State or Federal level?

I am aware of entire fleets of commercial trucks owned by huge companies that have Dashcams in them. Hard to imagine that these companies are in violation of state laws in at least 26 states. There are several companies that sell solutions to commercial fleets. LyTx is one. Their clients include huge trucking companies as well as government entities. You should write to them all and tell them that they are illegally operating.
You can film “ANYTHING” in public, ANYTHING, children, Air Force One, Clergy, Cops, Military Bases, ANYTHING, there is no privacy in public.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Broker/Owner
I'm using a Mobius Max with an under the rear view mirror mount so the police don't arrest me for obstructing a windshield. And as long as I'm not in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsssssssylvania, or Washington I can record whoever I want because everywhere else is an 1 person consent state.

Power is a difficult one. I'm in an 1 person consent state, but it's a hot 1 person consent state so a lithium battery is a bad idea in the summer. Instead it's a super capacitor with a USB cable running up into the rear view mirror base, along the windshield, down the A column, tucked behind the glove box, and popping back up through the trim around the gearbox. From there it plugs into the Jeep's USB port, but I use a right angle adapter so it's stays flush with the plastic. If anyone's curious, that is 10 feet of USB cord.

Jeeps provide power for one hour on that port and I'm paranoid about battery drains so I have an on/off USB switch just to be sure. I'm usually good about turning it on and off. I'd be better off wiring it directly to the fuse box, but I'm not good with electricity.

The only cool thing I've ever captured was a double rainbow.

dashcam.jpg
You guys are confusing wire tapping laws with free speech and right to film, you do not need anyone’s permission to video or audio ANYONE is public, that is the law in all states and has been upheld in the Supreme Court

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Wow, very mature response there buddy...the point is that dashcams are illegal in almost half of all states and their footage / usage is not even admissible in court.
Bullshit, they are LEGAL in all states and are used everyday in court

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Very happy with my budget Aukey DR02 dashcam.

Jeep Wrangler JL This is why I have a dashcam. 20200604_170626

This Buick drifted to the wrong side of the road (distracted driving?) and swerved to avoid hitting our Jeep after my wife laid on the horn. She was ready to drive over the curb.

Jeep Wrangler JL This is why I have a dashcam. Screen_Capture_2[1]

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My GoPro has captured a lot of bad behavior, but this is the screen shot that I keep on hand to share. It makes plain the important function that such cameras can serve. Modular RAM mounts allow me to easily transfer it between vehicles.

---------------------

I had a protected green turn arrow, and the oncoming lanes had a by-now stale red light. My Spidey sense told me to stay put, because the POS daycab drayage driver was going to roll right through the intersection. He did just that.

Jeep Wrangler JL This is why I have a dashcam. Turn-arrow-edit
Sponsored