sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
From the article:

Fischer claimed that the incentive was primarily just a tax break for wealthy Americans buying electric vehicles
That’s the whole bloody point. If your goal is to incentivize EV adoption, do it for everyone. This is needlessly injecting a political narrative on a supposedly non-political issue.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Amazing how out of touch these politicians are. A family of 4 living in California making $100,000 per year can’t afford a new car of any type and probably don’t have $7,500 in Federal tax liability anyway. If they want to promote EVs they must be appealing to those who can afford them. On a more positive note, they won’t need to budget very much if these limitations are put in place.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Can one even buy an EV for under $40K?

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Reactions: VNT

Sponsored

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Can one even buy an EV for under $40K?
That's the point. It's a way for a certain group of people -- those who do not want the tax credit to be available widely because they're beholden to interests that would be harmed by the widespread adoption of EVs -- to take away the tax credit without taking away the tax credit.

mla575

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
You have no idea what a single, decently achieved guy like me will be paying…. It’s likely i may just quit my job and be another dirtbag living off handouts.
A married, with 2 kids with one on the way, self employed (decently achieved guy) still gets raked over the coals. Also have considered becoming a dirt bag living off handouts...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think this is the kind of thing that makes sense on its face.

But the reality is that the only way to get America transitioned to electric vehicles is going to be starting with more expensive vehicles. And the only way to get the tax credit is to have enough tax liability to benefit.

so this really guts the incentive.

Since when did Republicans cry about incentives to the wealthy? This is just about the politics of electric vehicles, obviously. Which is fair. If Biden can’t get his new program passed when he has a majority in both houses thats on him.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
They have not added a per mileage tax in the infrastructure bill. What they added was a voluntary pilot program to assess the feasibility of such. Huge difference.
It's the camel's nose under the tent. It's coming. They're just figuring out how.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Also have considered becoming a dirt bag living off handouts...
How much money do you really think someone who is a "dirt bag living off handouts" makes? Hate to break it to you but you won't be driving around in your 2021 4XE living off no income.

Sponsored

mla575

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
How much money do you really think someone who is a "dirt bag living off handouts" makes? Hate to break it to you but you won't be driving around in your 2021 4XE living off no income.
Well golly geeze, I thought they make millions like our elected public servants..... Thank you for making me realize they don't. (sarcasm again) :headbang:

I realize messages do not convey this all to well. It was tongue and cheek/sarcasm as I was quoting from someone else (EJWF11). I understand where he is coming from. Maybe you didn't pick up on that.

To the real issue at hand.. Look at what this senator is proposing and look at what others are also saying in this thread.....

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
The highway trust fund actually went bankrupt (broke) in 2008 and has required over $140B in bailouts since. I don't care whose fault it is, they all need to stop spending our money like the irresponsible stewards they all are, both parties. It makes sense that they will need a per mileage tax eventually if they're trying to force us into EV's and they keep raising CAFE standards. But don't run them concurrently and don't take money from the HTF to pay for other pet projects. Our Gov't is just one big Ponzi scheme. Constantly moving money around to pay for whatever will buy them votes.

So, here's the thing, if one drives a Tesla or a true EV, I would think they should hit that vehicle with a higher per mile tax than a Wrangler 4xe which still uses gas. However, how are they going to know how much gas I actually put into my tank each year vs go total electric around town? Are they going to have my Wrangler self report those numbers? Those of us who actually pay federal and state income taxes are already footing the bill for 49% of the rest of the country. Stop the rampant, bloated spending and you won't need as much in taxes.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I am using the $7500 credit now on my 4xe for the 3rd time in my life, and I think it’s stupid to give a tax credit that everyone subsidizes and just benefits middle and upper class people. This bill is at least something, and I would no longer be eligible, but it won’t survive the house. They need to get rid of it totally and give POS incentives to lower income people.
Sponsored