The worst engine choice. The 392.

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Firecracker Red, 2022 392 On Order
I'm 57 and have had 32 new vehicles in my life. The most overall fun is the 392. I could buy a C8 but I wouldn't want to drive it every day, the 392 I don't mind if I had to drive it daily. If Jeep hadn't come out with the 392, I'd have a C8 in the garage (if I could find a way to order one at MSRP). As you can guess, mine is not going off-road hence the other choice being a C8.
Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I'm jealous, I would love to have a 392, hell yea . I don't give a rats patooty if it is practical, what the hell is that. But it just wasn't in the cards for me. But I have thought about how I could come up with money for one, LOL.

Right now I am enjoying the hell out of my JLUW with my little 2.0L Hurricane engine. Enjoy whatever version you have.

Frostbyte

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392XR, 2019 WK2 LtdX, 2017 JK, 2006 XK
I'm 57 and have had 32 new vehicles in my life. The most overall fun is the 392. I could buy a C8 but I wouldn't want to drive it every day, the 392 I don't mind if I had to drive it daily. If Jeep hadn't come out with the 392, I'd have a C8 in the garage (if I could find a way to order one at MSRP). As you can guess, mine is not going off-road hence the other choice being a C8.
I was in the same boat. About to pull the trigger on a C8 until they introduced the 392. Being in Alaska, I came to the realization that the C8 would wind up becoming a garage queen because I'd be too afraid to hit our lovely Alaska potholes or moose. I think the 392 will handle them nicely...maybe fill up the freezer to boot!

R44pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB GLC63S, BMW M3, Hydro 392XR, Braptor
Nope, not practical at all…sure can’t wait until mine gets here though! I’ll be 50 in 2022 so I figure this will most likely be my final dumbass car purchase.
That's what I used to say at 45. Now at 70, I'm still making dumbass automotive/motorcycle choices but with a mile wide grin on my face everyday. Don't let the number in your age get in the way of putting a smile on your face!

Sponsored

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Metal Mulisha Custom
The 392 is by far the worst engine to choose to be in your Wrangler.

Think about it. What’s a rubicon built for? Off-road.

You don’t go fast off-road except maybe in dunes, but, even then you don’t ever go over 99 mph…

You can’t stay at an off-road park for the whole weekend without worrying about refueling halfway through your second day.

If you’re actually overlanding you’re going to have to worry about fuel much more than the weekend warrior offroader.

You have to use 91 or above fuel to power this monster.

Besides Jeep limiting your options for interior color, small exterior color palette choices, and required options on the 392. The con that makes this the worst choice to wheel on the weekend, overland for the week, and even daily drive (especially in today’s fuel price state) is the fuel mileage. The 392 has a drinking problem.

Also I know some like to go fast. However, when you lift a Jeep and throw 37-40in tires on it, 1, you’re going to be slower and 2 it feels a lot more sketchy to be going 80mph in any wrangler with that build regardless of engine!

I’m sure there is some extravagant reason that the 392 is the best wrangler to buy for some crazy build with endless fuel cans and being pulled on a trailer or something, but, most people won’t do that.

So basically what I’m saying is the 392 really limits your your range too much.

With all that said. I still love the 392 just for the soul reason that it’s so cool.
You would love it more if you drove it for a week. 392 is definitely not the right choice though. A 426 in mine would be perfect!

Jeep Wrangler JL The worst engine choice. The 392. 88F58EDD-07E5-4C79-A44B-4FF8C676D001

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Firecracker Red, 2022 392 On Order
426 would've been so cool! Engine painted orange. Also, why not make it 500/500 :)

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

The 392 is by far the worst engine to choose to be in your Wrangler.

Think about it. What’s a rubicon built for? Off-road.

You don’t go fast off-road except maybe in dunes, but, even then you don’t ever go over 99 mph…

You can’t stay at an off-road park for the whole weekend without worrying about refueling halfway through your second day.

If you’re actually overlanding you’re going to have to worry about fuel much more than the weekend warrior offroader.

Besides Jeep limiting your options for interior color, small exterior color palette choices, and required options on the 392. The con that makes this the worst choice to wheel on the weekend, overland for the week, and even daily drive (especially in today’s fuel price state) is the fuel mileage. The 392 has a drinking problem.

Also I know some like to go fast. However, when you lift a Jeep and throw 37-40in tires on it, 1, you’re going to be slower and 2 it feels a lot more sketchy to be going 80mph in any wrangler with that build regardless of engine!

I’m sure there is some extravagant reason that the 392 is the best wrangler to buy for some crazy build with endless fuel cans and being pulled on a trailer or something, but, most people won’t do that.

So basically what I’m saying is the 392 really limits your your range too much.

With all that said. I still love the 392 just for the soul reason that it’s so cool.
Ban

Sponsored

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
More than anything, I think the 392 is a collector's vehicle and is more for auto enthusiasts than rock crawlers. We [most of us] are not so much the target market for this vehicle, but for the right segment, it's a clear winner.
Bingo. This is it exactly. Got to admit, the factory back in the 60’s (Dodge Boys and Direct Connection) specialized in shoving gorilla engines into just about anything. I personally saw it with a 64 Belvedere wagon with 426 Max Wedge. The max would and did stomp all over many a hemi like it was a joke. Not even close. That engine was an animal. 13.5 CR. 600 lift mechanical cam. A brute that should have never made the asphalt for June cleaver to pick up the dry cleaning. I think they are just flexing their DNA and I salute the balls shown to actually make the thing. Practical? Lol. That aint the point. This is a show of the meat.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
So...... I understand the gas and it has tons of power, is it too much power for the low speed rock crawling here in Arizona?

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
As if the 3.6L doesn't?? lolll

Yeah sure, there are still those who continually drink the corporate "cool aid", and believe that 87AKI is all goooog for this 3.6L engine with over 11+:1 compression lolll....

That is fine by me, but IMHO, thsse are probably the "leasers", who tend to be ignorant to what is written, in between the lines, because that narrative suits them, since they trade in and keep the credit ball rolling every 2-4 years, and NOT those who buy, to keep and last "forever" ; ). This analogy, can be applied to many things in life ;).

Jeep Wrangler JL The worst engine choice. The 392. AA83C560-B5EC-4A74-9A1E-775ED34DB288

^^^^^From the 2019 3.6L Wrangler owners manual.

Last edited:

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I run 87 octane in mine…. Might need to go to 85, which is regular unleaded here, to get some power back. 10.9 static compression Is not that high…. My dynamic compression ratio is about 9.3:1. It has aluminum heads etc. people should educate themselves what 91 octane fuel does.
Sponsored