Sponsored

Test drove the Gladiator today...disappointed.

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Thanks. Yes, we checked the EQ. Made some adjustments with no improvment. I'm guessing someone either modified the stereo or blew out the speakers? It was pretty sad. It had a couple other cosmetic changes that made me suspicious, which was unexpected for a nearly new vehicle. Interesting that many of you are saying not to tow 7,000...I will have to look into that because our camper is all of 6200 lbs.
You’ll need a max-tow equipped Sport S to get the 7,000 pound tow rating. Even then it’s probably not a good idea to tow 6200 with it
Sponsored

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
This is simple, if you plan on towing, anything more than a utility trailer, ( weekend yard work stuff), you will be much safer and happier with a truck.

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I doubt we’ll see the 392 have a higher tow rating… but who knows.
Even the same tow rating with a better motor would make people happy.

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
This is simple, if you plan on towing, anything more than a utility trailer, ( weekend yard work stuff), you will be much safer and happier with a truck.
My 2 door JL pulls a utility trailer great. This is exactly why I don't have a truck.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
There is a sweet spot on the pedal where it shifts what I consider normally. But it's a very small spot.
I tow regularly with a small trailer to the Sierras ~2k lbs and ~1k as payload, and your right about high rpms with the auto, thus the reason I use manual mode and when it can’t pull a gear ( speed drops ) a simple manual down shift fixes it..

as said, 3.6 + 6k lbs in the mountains = bad idea…

hope my experience helps…

Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove the Gladiator today...disappointed. 7A0AEFE0-096D-4FB7-B330-0B32780FA2B2

Sponsored

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
How about a diesel gladiator?
Yeah, try the EcoDiesel JT. I have a '20 JLU, & a '14 Grand Cherokee, both diesels. With proper tongue weight on both, you don't notice you are towing anything. Try a downscale {inexpensive} from Rubicon EcoDiesel JT. My'20 is an "entry level" Sport; love it!

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
My wife was interested because it could tow our camper, maybe replace her SUV. Local Gladiator Rubicon with tow package popped up, decided to try it out. This was a 2021 built in October, with 7k miles, Alpine, loaded. I thought it was a shoe in. Well, it shifted late and revved high a lot. The Alpine was real tinny, my base stereo sounds better. I don't know who owned it, but it was clearly driven hard and put away wet. I don't expect they are all this way, but maybe you guys can chime in. Should she keep looking or not bother?
Did it have larger tires? If so it's possible the shifting is due to the timing being off because the computer wasn't programmed for the larger tire size.

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Did it have larger tires? If so it's possible the shifting is due to the timing being off because the computer wasn't programmed for the larger tire size.
Factory Falkens

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Sounds like there's a reason they traded it in!! Test drive a new one before deciding on how they truely are.

Love my JT and have zero complaints with it. Now let's see if we love our soon to arrive JL as much.

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
Factory Falkens
Interesting. I test drove both the wrangler 3.6 and gladiator before settling on the gladiator and didn’t notice any differences. Granted now I have the diesel which is in its own realm anyways. So long as your happy!
Sponsored