Sponsored

Test drove the Gladiator today...disappointed.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
  • Banned
My wife was interested because it could tow our camper, maybe replace her SUV. Local Gladiator Rubicon with tow package popped up, decided to try it out. This was a 2021 built in October, with 7k miles, Alpine, loaded. I thought it was a shoe in. Well, it shifted late and revved high a lot. The Alpine was real tinny, my base stereo sounds better. I don't know who owned it, but it was clearly driven hard and put away wet. I don't expect they are all this way, but maybe you guys can chime in. Should she keep looking or not bother?
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I have a launch edition Rubicon and the stereo in it is leaps above the sounds in my 2018 Rubicon with the Alpine system. I'm guessing it is due to the space inside. Did you check the settings in the EQ?

I never noticed a difference in shift points stock vs. stock.

I'd try another one first and see if your opinion is still the same before you write it off.

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Industrial Automation Consultant
It is a 24 valve V-6, it did not shift late. It shifted the way a 3.6L 24V engine does. It is what it is. It is modestly powered. I 2nd the comment abut towing 7k with it above, not a great plan. Towing anything of any weight at all with a Jeep is an exercise in compromise. anyone stating otherwise is misleading people.

Sorry for your disappointment though. I get it.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Bah - give it another shot.

My wife has a '20 Overland with the V6 and auto. The thing shifts like a dream and never had a lack of power.

Now - we didn't buy this to tow around 5Klbs (or more), but haven't had a problem with it yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
  • Banned
I have a launch edition Rubicon and the stereo in it is leaps above the sounds in my 2018 Rubicon with the Alpine system. I'm guessing it is due to the space inside. Did you check the settings in the EQ?

I never noticed a difference in shift points stock vs. stock.

I'd try another one first and see if your opinion is still the same before you write it off.
Thanks. Yes, we checked the EQ. Made some adjustments with no improvment. I'm guessing someone either modified the stereo or blew out the speakers? It was pretty sad. It had a couple other cosmetic changes that made me suspicious, which was unexpected for a nearly new vehicle. Interesting that many of you are saying not to tow 7,000...I will have to look into that because our camper is all of 6200 lbs.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks. Yes, we checked the EQ. Made some adjustments with no improvment. I'm guessing someone either modified the stereo or blew out the speakers? It was pretty sad. It had a couple other cosmetic changes that made me suspicious, which was unexpected for a nearly new vehicle. Interesting that many of you are saying not to tow 7,000...I will have to look into that because our camper is all of 6200 lbs.
Sounds like someone damaged the speakers or radio.

However, it doesn't shift late. If anything, you are probably shifting your MT early.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I seriously considered a JT last spring, but then it was what could you do with it that the JL can't do. Billed as a truck but with the exception of the extra wheelbase, the power is not there. A cooler and beach chairs without getting the carpets dirty is the difference. Jeep lost the torque battle when they went to the minivan V-6, they failed when they dropped the straight 6. Unless it's some sort of micro-lite, only a real truck will do.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
There is a reason why the lots are full of Gladiators, yet you can't find a Wrangler for love or money. You've driven a gladiator, and have the experience to relate to.

In law enforcement, we call that "a clue".

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Someone took it away from their teenage son, it was repo’d or a recovered stolen. Did you check it for repaired collison damage?

Now go drive a new one and compare. Most lots still have a selection of Gladiators and the new price should be close to what a used one with low miles is.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Gladiator Rubicon weighs 600 lbs more than a Wrangler Rubicon. If you are used to driving a Wrangler with the V6, the same setup on a Gladiator is bound to feel more strained.

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
I’d keep looking. I bought a JT Mojave a few months ago to replace a 2dr JLR. I’m definitely enjoying the longer wheelbase and practicality. Never noticed any sort of rough shifting, it does rev out more than my two door did but it’s also significantly heavier.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Gladiator is an awesome vehicle and exactly what Ive been waiting for. A truck to do work with and that can wheel with the best of them. I have a 21 Rubicon and shifts fine. My wife has a 18 JL and it’s nice but the Gladiator drives so much better. More stable and the JL just feels like a toy. Pros and cons to both but the clown talking crap about the Gladiator has no clue. I agree with the others though. If your trying to tow 7500 pounds that’s not a midsized pickup job. No midsized pickup will do that well. That’s a half tons job.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
There is a reason why the lots are full of Gladiators, yet you can't find a Wrangler for love or money. You've driven a gladiator, and have the experience to relate to.

In law enforcement, we call that "a clue".
Typical law enforcement. All talk with no idea what their talking about.
Sponsored