Sponsored

Test drove my first ever Wranglers today. Thoughts and help with concerns please

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I LOVE the cold weather group. Winter aside, the heated seats and wheel are a game changer driving home on a cool night with the top down.

I didn’t get the LED group. After a lot of reading I was concerned with icing and snow accumulation in the bezels here in the northeast. I plan to swap out the halogens to an aftermarket heated LED in the future and at a far less cost than the factory LED package.

I got the Rubicon, don’t wheel much and the lockers won’t help on the sand which is my primary use off pavement. Not having to lift or re-gear for 35’s, as well as the added resale was a big factor in my decision there. The high line fenders and hood are just so much more ascetically pleasing IMO.

go with your gut and get the jeep that will make you happy.
Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Just wanted to add, in case it hasn't been mentioned...

I agree that you definitely want upgraded headlights. To me that's the number one priority when it comes to options...for the north the cold weather group would be number two. HOWEVER - depending on the trim you go with, the value equation on the LED pack changes. On Sahara and Rubicon, you get LED headlights, foglights, taillights and DRLs for $1295. That's arguably worth it. However, on the Sport, for 2021, you can no longer order JUST the LED Group. The system requires the Safety Group along with it. So it ends up being almost $2000 for LED headlights, foglights, and taillights....and you don't get the DRLs. Since the LED Taillights and Foglights are more cosmetic changes than functional, it's probably far more cost effective to NOT get the LED pack on the Sport, and just get the headlights aftermarket. Oracle's Oculus units are $500ish and you can get the DV8 OEM Clones for like $650. That's effectively the same result for $1400-1500 less. You can always add the DRLs and fogs later if you want, and you'd still end up spending quite a bit less.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I both bought Sahara's, but we've put Rubicon Wheels/Tires on them both because they look a LOT better than the stock Sahara wheels. I put A/T tires on mine and it rides as good or better than the factory tires. My wife put M/T tires on hers and it rides rougher and much louder, but she loves it.

The Rubi is definitely a stiffer ride than the Sahara/Sport models, but you can customize any of them to achieve the look you want. My advice is to figure out which options are a "must have", then customize the rest of the Jeep to your liking.

My Must Haves:
  • Proximity sensors (you'll regret not getting them) It's the first thing I check when I look at Jeeps now
  • 2.0L 4cyl - For gas mileage and pep
  • Hard Top (wish I'd gotten the dual option though)
  • 8.4" UConnect Radio
  • Automatic (because I eat and drive way to much LOL) I prefer a manual if it's not my daily driver
  • Towing Package
  • Cloth interior (I hate stuff sliding around on leather seats every time I go around a curve, plus they don't freeze/burn you)
My Jeep is garage kept, so remote start and cold weather package weren't a concern for me.
Also, I actually preferred the halogen so I could do my own head/tail light upgrades... I used KIWI for my headlights and Spyder for my sequential tail lights.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
So my questions are

- With that good of a heater, is the cold weather group still worth it?
- I want to eventually have leather (kids, easy clean up) Is Katzkin a good seat?
- I want to upgrade the sport look (small lift, aggressive tires, hood, etc) Will this hinder how I liked the way the Sport felt better on pavement than the Rubicon?
- I couldn't test the lights do to being the day. LED group that much better?
- Didn't test the safety group. Is that worth it as well? I have all of the safety stuff on my Rav 4. I just like the blind spot and back up camera warning part. I hate the lane assist peep, the steering control stuff, etc

Sorry for long post but man I enjoyed it!
- With that good of a heater, is the cold weather group still worth it? Yes
- I want to eventually have leather (kids, easy clean up) Is Katzkin a good seat? N/A
- I want to upgrade the sport look (small lift, aggressive tires, hood, etc) Will this hinder how I liked the way the Sport felt better on pavement than the Rubicon? By definition, anytime you change the suspension it changes how the vehicle handles. People who change the hood are lame.
- I couldn't test the lights do to being the day. LED group that much better? I love the LEDs
- Didn't test the safety group. Is that worth it as well? I have all of the safety stuff on my Rav 4. I just like the blind spot and back up camera warning part. I hate the lane assist peep, the steering control stuff, etc. I have the advanced safety group on my Jeep and my wife does not. We both think we're right. Jeeps don't have lane assist or steering controls, the advanced part is adaptive cruise and and another feature that beeps and slams on the brakes if a car 1/2 mile in front of you slows down 0.03 MPH

Also, if you get a Rubicon you can change the suspension to make it ride softer and not have to change the hood out like a loser.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I just had a 2.0 sport as a loaner. Two things I would definitely get. Upgraded headlights and upgraded stereo. That sport stereo is atrocious sounding and the small screen has pretty crappy resolution.

The LED group is probably one I would NEVER pass on. They're fantastic. On par or possibly better than the HIDs I've had on other vehicles. Aftermarket wont be as good.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I am not sure if I agree. When ordering my 2021 JLUR, I just traded it my 2020 JLR for exactly what the sticker price was when I got it a year and 17,000 miles ago..
If they gave you that trade value AND took thousands off the MSRP of the new vehicle you were buying that’s remarkable — and great!

My friend Bill had a similar experience when he traded up for a new truck. He got “high retail“ money for his trade and about $1,000 off the sticker on the new truck.

Bill later discovered that there were numerous factory to dealer incentives and rebates... Dave Smith Dodge in Idaho was selling the same pickup Bill bought for almost $8,000 below the factory Monroni window sticker price...(which almost nobody ever pays). So Bill’s dealer had an extra $7,000 to slide toward his trade “value” to make him feel like he was getting a better deal. The reality is the dealer probably took Bill’s trade in at low Blue-Book-trade or less, and still got more than they would have sold the new truck for without the trade.

It’s a shell game. You never know what you’re really getting paid for a vehicle unless you sell it without involving another purchase.

RUBIJIM

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner, 1967 Dodge R/T, 2018 Wrangler, Honda 750 K1
I was originally going with the Rubicon but was planning on more highway driving. Bought a CPO loaded Sport S at a great price. Added Rubicon springs/shocks/wheels but purchased 1 size down tires (BFG A/T 265/70R17). Gained exactly 1- 1/2" of lift. Rides slightly firmer than stock, handles and corners way better and tracks nicely down the highway. Definitely smoother than a Rubicon. Also MPG's stay right at the 18/23/20 mark

My wife and I love the Cold Weather Group, never really cared about it but once you have it I don't think you can go back. The combo of the heater and CWG definitely extends the top/doors off scenario, especially if you add leather. I have the Sunrider for Hardtop that in combination with all the heating options you can keep it open far more. I keep most of the security of the hardtop but can have an open Freedom panel section in seconds.

Regular Safety group, especially the blind spot is excellent. I added a Rubicon bumper with LED's and they are far superior to stock. Almost doesn't look like the headlight are on when using both.

I have the 3.6/auto but would opt for the 2.0L now only because I would not want the E-torque system.

The Alpine system is excellent!

Good luck with your decision. In Colorado the Rubicon definitely holds it's value better.
Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove my first ever Wranglers today. Thoughts and help with concerns please IMG_8131.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove my first ever Wranglers today. Thoughts and help with concerns please IMG_6832.JPG

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
So I test drove 3 different Wranglers today for the first time. 3 cars I have owned in the past: 98 Expedition, Mazda 3 and my current, Rav 4 Hybrid, just so you see where I am coming from

Drove a Rubicon 3.6 hard top, Diesel Soft, and a Sky 2.0. My thoughts and questions:

- Instantly liked the 2.0 better. I knew it was different without looking at the sticker
- I liked the Rubicon but was a little bit more "rough" than I was expecting
- Soft Top to me is the exact same vs Hard Top in terms of sound
- Diesel is loud as hell but responsive
- I felt the leather seats were more uncomfortable than than the cloth (and I love leather)
- Holy crap the heater works. I was sweating within 1 minute in that thing. I could imagine myself driving doors off and roof off in the winter with that
- Idk why people complain about the steering. I loved it. It felt super responsive and smooth, like I could turn around anything
- I actually enjoyed the sport model better than the Rubicon, I believe due to the tires, suspension, and the 2.0. It just felt better on the road
- Loved the 8.4 and the Alpine, hard to not go to that instead of 7.0
- The backup camera is one of the highest qualities I have seen

So my questions are

- With that good of a heater, is the cold weather group still worth it?
- I want to eventually have leather (kids, easy clean up) Is Katzkin a good seat?
- I want to upgrade the sport look (small lift, aggressive tires, hood, etc) Will this hinder how I liked the way the Sport felt better on pavement than the Rubicon?
- I couldn't test the lights do to being the day. LED group that much better?
- Didn't test the safety group. Is that worth it as well? I have all of the safety stuff on my Rav 4. I just like the blind spot and back up camera warning part. I hate the lane assist peep, the steering control stuff, etc

Sorry for long post but man I enjoyed it!
Get the Rubicon.
it just overall looks better offers more. The aux switches are a big plus. I don’t believe the other models have those but I could be wrong.
you are certainly right about the heater. I almost never wear my coat while driving.
the cold package is worth it for the heating steering wheel alone. Never knew what I was missing.
Get the LED headlights. They are much better.
one thing you’ll notice though is that the backup lighting sucks. I have installed as many others have too the Rigid ignite rear lights. They make a big difference.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
My two thoughts: get the 8.4 nav; big screen and nav to boot (no need to pair a phone) and sound system is darn good. Instead to leather seats that are costly, you could consider seat covers from PRP that would offr you the same cleanability you are looking for from leather; then, your factory seats are protected unlike leather seats...unless you cover them and then what was the point of paying for leather seats.

Sponsored

dkwinger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0
Careful, you're one step closer to owning a JL! :) Here's my $0.02, coming from somebody with a 2019 JLUR 3.6 manual and having checked most of the option list...
  • When your hands are cold and you then feel the warmth from that heated steering wheel, you'll know that package was totally worth it. Even down here in Texas I use it in the brief winter that we have.
  • I too thought the leather seats were harder than the cloth seats, but after having to clean up a mess in the backseat from the kids, I'll get leather everyday and just deal with a little bit more of the firmness.
  • LED group - MOST DEFINITELY! Such a huge difference and to me this is more like a safety feature than 'pretty lights'. Totally worth it and I'd not buy one without. There are some aftermarket LED lights out there and I'm sure some come close, but the factory LED ones are fantastic.
  • The Safety Group is okay - blind spot monitor works as does the really loud backup warning. I don't know about the Advanced Safety Group because, as like you, I didn't want that type of system on the Jeep. My fear is that it would break just after the warranty expires and end up costing me thousands to get the vehicle moving again.
A number of people on this site have purchased a Sport/S or the Sahara and then regretted not getting the Rubicon. Others have realized they've bought more than they wanted and downgraded. Take plenty of test drives, do the numbers, and get exactly what you want.

Good luck!

- Matt
I would agree with Matt. Drive 'em and make your decision on what is important to you. I drove a Rubicon with the V6 and a Sahara with the 2.0 (had a Sahara V6 JKU previously). I felt the Rub was overkill for the type of off roading I do and stuck with the Sahara. Glad I did. The 2.0 turbo is awesome! If you live in an area with any cold weather you will love the cold weather package. I almost passed... so happy I didn't. The leather seats are great. Best of luck

BrianMurfy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I'm in Florida, so any cold weather package is a waste. I also have a softtop because I am in Florida, but within vehicle with a softtop, DON'T LEAVE VALUABLES IN IT. Its not so much h that they'll steal them, it's that they'll cut the top to get them. Its really frustrating because they could get in easily without damaging the top.

The Jeep is a special vehicle that is a lot of fun. Top down driving on the road, taking it off road and exploring trails, or just getting into the culture and making the Jeep yours is well worth the investment.

fun2drive

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have driven all these with the exception of the diesel. Why would you buy a Rubicon if you are not going off road a good deal. Waste of money, stiffer suspension and what is the 98% on road benefit to that? The 2.0 is OK, the 3.6 much better so doesn't matter that much, slight improvement in gas mileage.
Heated seats and wheel only if you need them. I have two Jeeps a 15 Wrangler Sahara and a 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee which has the heated wheel and seats. I live in Florida and have used that option maybe twice. So where you live should determine what you buy.

The lights on the Jeep stock suck. LED's as everyone has said is the best option you can buy. I like the other options like, cross path, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning... Have 96,000 miles on my JGC with these options and they are worth if even if used one time. If you think you are a superior driver and will never need them then you must drive places with no other cars that do stupid things. I don't with the bubba's and retiree's pulling out in front of you happens all the time.

I put JW Speaker LED's on all my Wrangler lights but I knew that the stock lights suck because I drive all versions except Rubicon Wranglers every week. Steering? Too much is made of the steering it isn't that bad and the 2020 seemed slightly better. This isn't a BMW M3 and will not handle like one.

Spend the money on your requirements which should be function and how you use it. If you want bling like big tires and lift go for it.

My off road driving is in super soft sand and debris so the stockers are fine.

When the 2022 come out I plan to buy the Sahara with diesel and most likely the automatic top which is uber expensive but nothing else like it. You can't make a bad choice regardless of which one you pick and the support for the Wrangler's by owners and Jeep groups and associations is stronger than any other automotive group I know of.

Also resale value isn't that significantly different if you keep it 10-12 years. The difference between Sport-Sahara-Rubicon is very little at that point.

Enjoy your new ride!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Why would you buy a Rubicon if you are not going off road a good deal. Waste of money
I drive a Rubicon and I don’t take it road.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
it will be ok, get what u like and afford, and will drive. about the only bs thing to avoid is the tailgate reinforcement for the coin.

all the groups are fair. trust me

Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove my first ever Wranglers today. Thoughts and help with concerns please IMG_0648
Sponsored