Sponsored

Test Drove the Eco Diesel today

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Decide to have some fun and do a test drive of the new JL Diesel. I have read many reviews and watched a few youtube, but I always like to judge for myself. After owning my JLUR for 2 1/2 years it would give me a good comparison of the EcoD vs the 3.6. I was surprised that the dealers in my area did not have much of an inventory. I was told they have not caught up with inventory since the factories closed. Jeep Clarksville, Tysons, and Silver Spring usually have a good selection. I wanted to drive one with a hardtop to hear the noise level comparison to mine. Clarksville had a Sport S Eco D same place I service mine so a friendly welcome on the call as they have my number and "come on in and test drive it". An hour later the salesman tossed me the keys, and said you get to drive alone if you put $20 in tank (range remaining indicated 18 miles) gave me a credit receipt and I was on my way.

It was odd grabbing the fuel nozzle for diesel I wonder how many times I would attempt to put non diesel in it? The Sport S had 38 miles on it and I was very impressed with how quiet the engine was, I turned the fan speed down and I could hear a faint clack clack of the diesel, but nothing that would bother me with the radio volume I normally use. The 8 speed seemed a bit sluggish compared to mine and I had to put my foot in it a bit, I was rewarded with a nice push into the back of the seat. I drove some stop and go, back roads, and then some highway with speeds up to 70-75 mph. I reset the MPG and I saw 25- 32 mpg driving at my normal speeds. The Sport S drove really nice with car tires.

While I did like the Diesel, it was not a night and day difference than the 3.6, definetly stronger off the line, but after that the performance gap was small. (if it had the same gearing it would be even quicker off the lines would imagine but it also has a 400 pound weight penalty too) and the 8 speed was very slow to react for some reason. it was brand new so maybe it has to self learn the driving habits. The big test for me is always when I get back into my car does it still feel the same and fun. Yes, Yes, and Yes. Not enough to make me serious consider a trade. It is really a plus for long distance driving and highway cruising you will not be disappointed in the MPG and the noise to me is a non issue (i left it running and opened the hood and I could only hear the diesel purring). Cant wait to drive the 392 and electric JL, but for now I will keep enjoying my paid for JLUR...
Sponsored

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
Thanks, it's an option I keep tossing around, this pretty much solidifies it for me.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It is really a plus for long distance driving and highway cruising [...]
Modern diesels are made for the open road and not stop and go driving or slow rock crawling where they produce the most soot, have the most regens, and are the least efficient.

When combined with the increased initial cost, the increased maintenance, the potential issues with the DEF/DPF/SCR systems, the higher priced fuel, and the cost of repairs when (not if) it breaks out of warranty, it is a total non-starter for me and does not fit my use case.

Like you, I am very happy with my 3.6L...

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
If you do not tow anything, only drive local, and are sensitive to ā€˜engine noiseā€™ a diesel is not likely the best engine choice.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Diesels fill a ver specific need, no doubt.

I saw someone else complain about the EcoDieselā€™s automatic transmission unwillingness to shift, too.

Early last year I test drove the GMC Canyon V6 and diesel back-to-back. Like you say, the V6 felt more responsive and refined overall. But I could see someone be willing to put up with the dieselā€™s clatter and sluggishness if they were looking to tow or put a ton of miles ever year.

The steep price of the EcoDiesel option leaves it a nice curiosity in my book. Particularly when the 3.6 V6 doesnā€™t leave me wanting for more, and the price of diesel fuel is close to premium gas around here.

Thank you for sharing.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Not enough of a difference between the Diesel and 3.6 to warrant an upgrade for me. Plus, too many headaches associated with modern diesels, and the exhaust regeneration, for me.
Unless I can strip the emissions, reliably, and not be punished, I will just have to keep hoping and drooling over V8 concept jeeps.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I also considered it after doing a second 2,700 mile road trip a few weeks ago. Blasting 78mph through Kansas and Nebraska get you thinking all kind of things but when I returned to reality i came to the same conclusion I can enjoy mine being paid off for a bit. That 392 on the other hand will make things tougher to not want to trade in.

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I also considered it after doing a second 2,700 mile road trip a few weeks ago. Blasting 78mph through Kansas and Nebraska get you thinking all kind of things but when I returned to reality i came to the same conclusion I can enjoy mine being paid off for a bit. That 392 on the other hand will make things tougher to not want to trade in.
I think the 392 will be a hoot to drive, but in the real world it is more power then you need and more of a marketing ploy against the Bronco. IMHO jeep would have to put much stronger brakes and better suspension on the Wrangler to enjoy all that horsepower as the JL gets pretty squirrelly above 85 mph especially around a curve, I think the MPG will be round 12 and the need for premium gas will be things to consider, oh and Jeep will not be bashful with the price of admission...

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I literally test drove a diesel yesterday. My experience solidified the 3.0 as the engine I must have in a jeep. I have not owned a jeep with the 3.6 but all the ones I have driven have not made a real impression on me. My TJ with the 4.0 seems more robust but it is a manual. All I can say is both my wife and I felt the 3.0 is the only engine I would consider in the JL at this time. Probably placing the order tomorrow. The pricing is a discussion for another thread. Oh, and the Diesel Rubicon having a GVWR over 6k qualifies for the larger 179 deduction for any business owners out there.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I literally test drove a diesel yesterday. My experience solidified the 3.0 as the engine I must have in a jeep. I have not owned a jeep with the 3.6 but all the ones I have driven have not made a real impression on me. My TJ with the 4.0 seems more robust but it is a manual. All I can say is both my wife and I felt the 3.0 is the only engine I would consider in the JL at this time. Probably placing the order tomorrow. The pricing is a discussion for another thread. Oh, and the Diesel Rubicon having a GVWR over 6k qualifies for the larger 179 deduction for any business owners out there.
If you haven't driven specifically a JL with the 3.6 and 8 speed, I would do so. Much different than the JK implementation.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
If you haven't driven specifically a JL with the 3.6 and 8 speed, I would do so. Much different than the JK implementation.
I've probably driven 6 different JL's with the 3.6, just don't own one. Also a Recon with the 2.0 turbo but not the NA 2.0. Own a GC with the 3.6 and 8 speed but that's an entirely different animal.
All personal choice and feel. The diesel seemed quiet and smooth to me. Then again, my diesel motorhome wakes up all my neighbors when I fire it up :)
Sponsored