Test drove the 3.0L Diesel

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
As to OP - I got the diesel because 1) 442tq is damn good for towing and pulling out in traffic, and 2) I love getting 27+mpg (at $2.25/gal) vs 11mpg (at $2.53/gal) (came from a 2017 Camaro SS with a heavy foot).

As to the politics - diesel will be around long after gasoline is phased out for passenger cars. And, that (phasing out of gas) will take over 50 years. Just because the government passes something about new cars, doesn't mean that old cars will be undriveable. Look at 66 Mustangs. No shoulder belts, no airbags, no 3rd brake lights - heck, no emissions requirements.

It will take a long time to "mandate" new cars be all electric. Sure, it'll be easy for the city commuter crowd to switch to electric. But, what about the country people who drive 30 miles to work at night? Or the contractors who drive their F150s around to job sites every day, loaded down with ladders and tools?

No, gas is still here for a while. In fact, I am frankly looking forward to the future of cars. Would I buy an electric vehicle? Or stick with gas? Or, keep my diesel? I dunno - which one is gonna give me the most power, with an adequate range, for an affordable price? Whatever that answer is - that's what I'm getting.

I've owned almost all domestic sportscars in my life (with a Pontiac G8 GT thrown in there). And now a diesel Jeep. I've realized . . . as long as the car goes forward when I press that right pedal, the mode of propulsion doesn't really matter.
Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
I wonder what the monthly increase in a person's electric bill is to charge an electric vehicle?
Not sure for Franklin County, but Benton is $0.07 per KWH. My plug in has 7KW battery. $0.50 to fill up for 25 miles.
The new 4xe is 17.3 KW, so $1.21 per fill up. Think Jeep is saying 25 miles? battery only.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
No it won't. In 14 years, no more gas/diesel cars or pickups to be sold in California. And as California goes, so goes the nation........
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/california-mandates-electric-cars-for-2035.html#:~:text=New California executive order requires,be allowed to keep operating
Don't believe that until it happens. Just because a governor says it, doesn't mean it will happen. That governor will be long gone from office. Any other governor can rescind it. The legislature can overturn it. Heck, even the administration that is responsible for enforcing it can choose to not enforce, or to enforce on a lesser level.

Moreover, that's only "new" car sales. And only those sales within CA. Nothing in the order says you can't drive over to Nevada and buy one. Also, nothing says you can't buy a used one pre-1935.

Heck, the order is even so vague . . . it doesn't prohibit used petrol car sales at all. So, unless further orders clarify it, it would be 100% legal to "sell" a new petrol car to a middle-man in one of the other 49 states, then he turns right around and sells you his "used" car. The car never even had to move from the dealership lot.

Sponsored

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Don't believe that until it happens. Just because a governor says it, doesn't mean it will happen. That governor will be long gone from office. Any other governor can rescind it. The legislature can overturn it. Heck, even the administration that is responsible for enforcing it can choose to not enforce, or to enforce on a lesser level.

Moreover, that's only "new" car sales. And only those sales within CA. Nothing in the order says you can't drive over to Nevada and buy one. Also, nothing says you can't buy a used one pre-1935.

Heck, the order is even so vague . . . it doesn't prohibit used petrol car sales at all. So, unless further orders clarify it, it would be 100% legal to "sell" a new petrol car to a middle-man in one of the other 49 states, then he turns right around and sells you his "used" car. The car never even had to move from the dealership lot.
Don't discount California. The legislature, elected offices, and Governor generally are extreme progressives. They have no concept what the people want, just what the popular narrative is at their cocktail parties, art shows, and the universities - their campaign contributors.

The 49-state emissions have now blended into 50-state emissions. What is good for California politics has now been mandated via progressive laws coming from D.C.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Don't discount California. The legislature, elected offices, and Governor generally are extreme progressives. They have no concept what the people want, just what the popular narrative is at their cocktail parties, art shows, and the universities - their campaign contributors.

The 49-state emissions have now blended into 50-state emissions. What is good for California politics has now been mandated via progressive laws coming from D.C.
And today’s political changes in DC will only further the Californianization of the rest of us with their utopian plans...

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
How exactly is the .gov going to ban the 300 million vehicles that currently exist in the US alone?
The same way they mandated masks. Order the public to stop driving for “a couple of weeks”.
Then extend it. Then extend it again, and again, and again.
Within a month the general public will start shaming everybody that drives.

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
(1) vehicles are not necessary when we are all locked down afraid of the next disease/pandemic
(2) The ruling class will never give up their modes of transportation, guns, steak dinners (just think about all those farting cows)
(3) the bread lines will be short, Jeff Bezos will deliver it to you
(4) We are all in this together...as long as you agree with me
(5) Lets try to build a more inclusive society and just get rid of the domestic terrorists that have alternative points of view by making it impossible for them to express them.

I think I am just going to go for a Jeep ride....therapy session ;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
My tentative plans are to buy a base or close to base JT with a diesel 3 years from now, maybe used maybe new.

As far as electric vehicles. I think they are great for city commuters but lame for most everyone else. That will change when they can charge as fast or close to as fast as you can fill up your car/jeep/truck. When that happens things are going to happen fast BUT--

As a few have mentioned our grid will have to be up to snuff. Also battery materials coming from enemy places will have our arse in their hands and even crooked politicians "might" have to waiver.

Electric has a LOT of great features and I cant wait for it to happen, but right now they suck for most of us.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No it won't. In 14 years, no more gas/diesel cars or pickups to be sold in California. And as California goes, so goes the nation........
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/california-mandates-electric-cars-for-2035.html#:~:text=New California executive order requires,be allowed to keep operating
Gotta love how the world is coming to an end, ever day, on the Internet.

Just because California plans to ban the sale of ICE vehicles in the future, a big if IMO, doesn't make all those existing ICE vehicles disappear overnight.

After all, California is the largest market for vintage and historic cars.

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I didn’t mean to derail the original post. This is what I should have replied with: I owned a 2015 Ram with the eco diesel. It was a great truck. I traded it in on a 2020 ram with a hemi. I put 50k trouble free miles on it. That being said, I put a tune on it from Green Diesel engineering that turned the egr valve off. I hope FCA got the emissions stuff right on the new generation of eco diesels, because the internet was full of horror stories. I would have considered the diesel if it was available when I bought my 2019, but it wasn’t an option then

Jazzman65

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
A agree the diesel is sweet. I test drove the gas versions and the diesel and well I bought the diesel :rock: Who knows if it will be worth the price of admission, time will tell. This is my first jeep loving it so far.
Same here. Got my first ever Jeep on 1/20 and it's a diesel as well. Love it on both counts!
Sponsored