Tazer (Programmer) for the JL

Status
Not open for further replies.

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Do I have to marry the tazer if I only plan to use the live functions?
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
is there atrick to getting the module unplugged? I can't get any pressure on the tabs to unplugthe module my hand wont fit and I don't have big hands

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
There's no way you'd get to it without pulling that panel, I just assumed that was a given.
How do you pull that panel? argh!

Salvajav

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 4 doors Moab Edition, 2” Mopar lift, 35”tires, One touch Sky power top, Gladiator front camera.
Do I have to marry the tazer if I only plan to use the live functions?
Yes, you need to keep your tazer marry to the vehicle in order to use live functions.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
If you're asking about the kick panel, you'd need a trim removal tool, or you can use a screwdriver. Pull carefully... there are plastic tabs on the inside that can break...start at the bottom & work your way up.

You can find trim remover tools at Harbor Freight or any auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKN3PWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07587W8XW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I got the side panel off ok but then there are a bunch screws holding the lower left side on . Do those have to be removed and then what about the right side of the left panel.?

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
The panel immediately under the steering wheel pulls strait out. It will take a bit of force. There are no screws involved.

By far the most challenging part of my Tazer installation was getting those cables unplugged. I'd suggested they make an "extension cord" that could be plugged in their place and left hanging down in case I ever wanted or needed to go back to stock.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I got the side panel off ok but then there are a bunch screws holding the lower left side on . Do those have to be removed and then what about the right side of the left panel.?
There's no side panel. This is the panel you have to remove. Under the steering wheel... It pops right off...no screws. The module is below the red arrow.

panel.jpg

Sponsored

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just did mine without removing the panel. It was pretty easy. If you can get on your back and look up under the dash you can see and get at the plugs.

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
I bought my Mini during a black friday sale along with the Tazer camera. My main purpose in getting the Mini was just so I can activate Cargo Camera, but probably won't use many of the other functions. So far, haven't installed it- frankly seems a bit overwhelming for what it does and the instructions to me aren't awesome. Normally first step in any electronics instructions would be "Update firmware" but I have to dig in for how to do that. Even the reboot stuff/marry/unmarry etc. all seem intimidating. Am I over reacting?

I'm not usually afraid of tech- but I've got some buyers remorse.

Looking for some objective opinions on how hard it all really is before I go start cutting my grill and running wires.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
...Normally first step in any electronics instructions would be "Update firmware" but I have to dig in for how to do that. Even the reboot stuff/marry/unmarry etc. all seem intimidating...
You're right, always best to check for updates. It came with a USB cord, it's easy to do on-line, although it's been a while since I did mine so I can't give you specifics.

Once plugged in simply navigate to the audio screen (between the tach and speedometer) and from there follow the Tazer instructions on which buttons to manipulate to navigate the Tazer menu/options. I believe you'll start with the marriage. Once you've activated the camera (I also disabled the ESS) you'll need to reboot, it'll be one of the menu items, just like you would your computer after applying updates. Also easy to miss, it may take a couple ignition cycles for the update to appear. If I remember correctly I think they suggest waiting 5 minutes between cycles.

Once you've navigated through the menu a couple of times your anxiety will fade away

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
To install the Tazer, you only need to remove the panel underneath the steering wheel. It has no screws, and is secured only by clips. Grab the bottom and pull towards the seat, then move your hands up and do the same thing from the top.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Mini during a black friday sale along with the Tazer camera. My main purpose in getting the Mini was just so I can activate Cargo Camera, but probably won't use many of the other functions. So far, haven't installed it- frankly seems a bit overwhelming for what it does and the instructions to me aren't awesome. Normally first step in any electronics instructions would be "Update firmware" but I have to dig in for how to do that. Even the reboot stuff/marry/unmarry etc. all seem intimidating. Am I over reacting?

I'm not usually afraid of tech- but I've got some buyers remorse.

Looking for some objective opinions on how hard it all really is before I go start cutting my grill and running wires.
I don't think you're overreacting. It took me a few tries to figure out how to change settings... I read thru here & found the YouTube to be useful as well. The Tazer instructions seem to leave a lot to be desired, but it's easy to get the hang of it pretty quickly. I use the Tazer for a handful of its features, but enough that I find it useful.

In spare time, I wrote the order in which each menu item appears for the settings, sub-menus, and live functions in a small notebook I keep in the Jeep. Yes, I still use pen & paper... don't judge me, dammit. It takes some getting used to, but changing settings are much easier. It's trial & error at first, but smoother with familiarity.

I think once you get the hang of it you'll feel better about the thing.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.