Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
Just ordered a set of the machined grenade from you. Look forward to getting them in!
Thanks for the replies. I too woke up this morning and already had a response from Z Auto. I supplied the invoice from River City and had the code within a few minutes. Agree on the great support.
Sorry again for the trouble Auggie! I appreciate your patience and understanding. Z Automotive is the best!

Marcus

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Sorry again for the trouble! I appreciate your patience and understanding. Z Automotive is the best!

Marcus
As someone else in here said, things like this pop up! Out of anyoneā€™s control really.

Both River City and ZAuto were super helpful. Had nothing to do with RC and was a random issue that ZAuto took care of within hours of hearing about it.

Thatā€™s actually a win, in my book.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@aug0211

I saw where you were trying to do a recover with Z's, MacOS Z Automotive Utility 1.6.

By any chance, prior to your Tazer JL Mini reverting to a Tazer JL Lite had you done/tried a firmware update to it with the Z's, MacOS Z Automotive Utility 1.6 ?

When you do updates to your Tazer JL Mini, it is prudent/very wise to do an unmarry BEFORE you update the firmwareusing Z's, MacOS Z Automotive Utility. This recommendation is from Joe @ ZAutomotive..

Sponsored

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
Issue resolved.

ZAuto provided an activation key which I used through ZPU to upgrade back to Mini instead of Lite.

ZAuto indicated this is a known issue (losing Mini status and downgrading to Lite) that can occur at times when upgrading firmware.

Nothing to do with my order, just a Tazer firmware issue that can happen from time to time. ZAuto and River City were both prompt and helpful - thanks to both.
When you did the upgrade did it confirm that it was upgraded? Not sure mine worked. I plugged the Mini into the computer and launched the programmer. I selected upgrade then request. It populated with my serial and I typed in the code Z Auto provided. I selected activate and it spun for a few seconds, no confirmation. I did this a few times and nothing looks different. How do I know it has been upgraded? I sent another email but its after hours. Thanks

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
@aug0211

I saw where you were trying to do a recover with Z's, MacOS Z Automotive Utility 1.6.

By any chance, prior to your Tazer JL Mini reverting to a Tazer JL Lite had you done/tried a firmware update to it with the Z's, MacOS Z Automotive Utility 1.6 ?

When you do updates to your Tazer JL Mini, it is prudent/very wise to do an unmarry BEFORE you update the firmwareusing Z's, MacOS Z Automotive Utility. This recommendation is from Joe @ ZAutomotive..

The device was not married when upgraded. Fresh out of the box and never connected.

Yes, ZAuto confirmed it is a known issue.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
When you did the upgrade did it confirm that it was upgraded? Not sure mine worked. I plugged the Mini into the computer and launched the programmer. I selected upgrade then request. It populated with my serial and I typed in the code Z Auto provided. I selected activate and it spun for a few seconds, no confirmation. I did this a few times and nothing looks different. How do I know it has been upgraded? I sent another email but its after hours. Thanks
I got a green status message in the OS X utility that said success or activated or something along those lines.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I got a green status message in the OS X utility that said success or activated or something along those lines.
Thanks, I am on Windows 10. I will see what they say in the AM.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Ok found the serial #. Purchased the code from z automotive
Was able to update the lite to the mini. Additional features work. HOWEVER, lockers in 2hi/4hi only work about 40% of the time when I engage.
- I found in park the percentage goes up a bit.. Originally I followed the under 10mph rule to engage.
- Then to disengage have to try multiple times. A BIT SCARY AS THERE ARE TIMES WHERE I WAS STUCK WITH REAR LOCKERS ENGAGED...

-crazy lag sometimes when they finally do engage/disengage

Anyone else with similar issues or have any tips for the lockers in 2hi/4hi to operate a bit more consistently. A little disappointed at this time.
Thanks

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Anyone else with similar issues or have any tips for the lockers in 2hi/4hi to operate a bit more consistently. A little disappointed at this time.
Thanks

Locker Control: Press the REAR locker button in 2WD/4HI or the FRONT/REAR button in 4HI while stopped and lockers will engage. Press the Locker OFF button to disengage lockers. This is the same method to operate the lockers as if in 4LO.

Last edited:

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Locker Control: Press the REAR locker button in 2WD/4HI or the FRONT/REAR button in 4HI while stopped and lockers will engage. Press the Locker OFF button to disengage lockers. This is the same method to operate the lockers as if in 4LO.
Thanks . Working great. The Tazer instructions are just jacked up need update/corrections. All set. Heading to Pismo Dunes in Augustā€¦ should be fun

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Re-posting a message in here since we're talking about the Tazer and some issues. Does everyone's CEL light come on after a Tazer full reboot, and then stay off after you clear it once?

ZAuto support has had me do a plethora of reboot scenarios, re-marry, remove altogether, re-add, battery and fuse pulls, etc.

One thing remains consistent - any time I do a FULL REBOOT with the Tazer, the same 5 codes are thrown.

The latest message from ZAuto basically said to just clear the codes after each full reboot. šŸ˜¬

Thatā€™s one thing if itā€™s a bug in 11.2.8, itā€™s another thing if itā€™s not a bug and there are actual legit codes being thrown that theyā€™re asking me to clear and ignore.

Whatā€™s odd is that I cannot get the codes to pop up without the Tazer doing a full reboot. If I fully remove and run stock, I have not been able to get the codes to come up (including with fuse pulls and battery disconnects, miles of driving, etc.).

ZAuto did not reply to my last message asking if it is ā€œexpectedā€ for 11.2.8 to throw CELs on the 4xe (and can be safely ignored until the fix in a future firmware) or if this is an actual issue.

Frankly, for now, Iā€™m thinking Tazer may not really be ready for the 4xe.šŸ˜ž

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
ZAuto confirmed today that there is an issue with Tazer JL up to and including at least firmware version 11.2.8, specific to the 4xe.

Tazer will cause 5 CEL codes to be thrown on 4xes after a full Tazer reboot.

Their recommendation is to clear these CELs, while they work on a permanent fix - they mentioned coding in an automatic CEL clear after their reboot :/

Iā€™m not crazy about the issue OR the fix (clearing CELs is a band-aid; stopping the CELs from being triggered would be a real fix).

Wanted to share the info in case others have been chasing this as I have.

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
ZAuto confirmed today that there is an issue with Tazer JL up to and including at least firmware version 11.2.8, specific to the 4xe.

Tazer will cause 5 CEL codes to be thrown on 4xes after a full Tazer reboot.

Their recommendation is to clear these CELs, while they work on a permanent fix - they mentioned coding in an automatic CEL clear after their reboot :/

Iā€™m not crazy about the issue OR the fix (clearing CELs is a band-aid; stopping the CELs from being triggered would be a real fix).

Wanted to share the info in case others have been chasing this as I have.
I think my answer was a little misunderstood. Itā€™s not an issue. Itā€™s a function of how the 4XE works, and this is specific ONLY to the 4XE. In order for the ABS system to accept any changes it needs to be re-initialized (which happens during the full reboot on 4XE) and that sets several codes. Same as if the dealer used their tool to initialize. Then you clear codes. Same as the dealer would.
My thought is to combine the code clearing into the full reboot process so itā€™s transparent to the end user. Iā€™ll likely do this in a future release. Again, these codes arenā€™t a failure of the Tazer or any other system, itā€™s a normal part of the ABS initialization process on the 4XE.
Sponsored