Sponsored

First sighting of 2020 Jeep JL Wrangler PHEV Plug-In Hybrid!

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Our photographers have just spotted the PHEV (plug in hybrid) Jeep JL Wrangler in testing. The camouflage hiding this JL's fenders cover exactly where the electric charge port will be located. Although both fenders are camouflaged, previous rumors indicate that the charge port is located on the driver's side fender.

Electric Range

While following this prototype, our photographer observed it driving in pure EV mode (all-electric mode, without using the gasoline engine) for approximately 25 minutes before turning on its engine. How much all-electric range the PHEV Jeep Wrangler will achieve is not yet announced, but as a reference point of what to expect -- the 2019 Pacifica Hybrid manages 32 miles of all-electric range before reverting back to the engine. And just days ago, FCA also announced upcoming PHEV versions of the Renegade and Compass which will achieve 31 miles of all-electric range.

Powertrain

What also remains unknown is which powertrain the 2020 Jeep Wrangler PHEV will use - the 3.6L Pentastar V6 (used in the Pacifica Hybrid) or the 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder engine.

Production / Launch Date

On a recent earnings call, FCA mentioned a January 2020 on-sale date for the PHEV Jeep Wrangler, which means production would start in the second half of this year. Indeed, according to our inside sources, the shutdown of the plant to retool for PHEV Wrangler is currently scheduled occur from April 18 to May 13.

Gladiator Grille

Interestingly, this prototype also wears the Jeep Gladiator grille, which features larger grille openings to allow for more cooling.

Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_002.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_004.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_005.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_006.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_007.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_008.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_009.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_010.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_011.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_012.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_013.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_016.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_017.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_018.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_019.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_021.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_022.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_023.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
We had a hybrid Wrangler at work. I'll admit it seemed pretty strange when it silently backed away from me.

Sponsored

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
It has the European led lights in the back, but the rest of the config is US: mirrors without side markers, high fenders, steel bumpers.

It has the gladiator grip without the front cámara. The radiator behind the grill seems different.
It bet the PHEV will mate with the 2.0L.

I wander what the extra weight would be though? Can someone check comparing Pasificas with and without please? They are not available in Europe.

Spoke

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
IT guy
Vehicle Showcase
An electric jeep just doesn't do anything for me. 32 mile range? Stupid. This system is only added to try and meet fuel mileage requirements. A bunch of junk added complicating the entire jeep for nothing. Internal combustion for ever!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Looks pretty cool, and it looks like even the Rubicon will get the Hybrid drivetrain. This might be worth looking into when its released.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Looks pretty cool, and it looks like even the Rubicon will get the Hybrid drivetrain. This might be worth looking into when its released.
8E338719-74F8-42F8-B2BD-68D677107049.gif

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If I ever get reincarnated into an electric jeep, please take me out to the desert and light me on fire so that I can have another try at being something cool.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Ah whats the matter? Afraid of getting more than 15 MPG? :giggle:
Yes. In fact, just ordered some pavement pounding, American V8 muscle to compliment our gas swilling his and hers Wranglers. I will ride a horse before driving a hybrid or electric vehicle. Fossil fuels forever!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. In fact, just ordered some pavement pounding, American V8 muscle to compliment our gas swilling his and hers Wranglers. I will ride a horse before driving a hybrid or electric vehicle. Fossil fuels forever!
lol, Going Amish on us?

While I do appreciate a good V8, as I had a Ram 1500 Hemi and a Mustang GT before my current set of vehicles, I just got tired of constantly hitting up the gas stations. When it came time to get a new vehicle, fuel economy improvements were a factor... the JL was a good bump up that ladder and it really is nice getting more than the 16 MPG the ram was getting. Had the 2.0 been available at the time I would have gotten that one, but be that as it may I do like my 3.6. My next Jeep will have one of these new drivetrains, and will still go off road, in addition to my daily driving.

Edit: For you old fashioned types... There's at least one coal fired steam Jeep out there for you to buy :giggle:

73977.gif
Sponsored

Last edited: