Sponsored

Tazer JL Mini

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Isn't the price indicative of a mini and not a lite. If they sent a lite without an activation code, I'm guessing they sent the wrong tazer.
Agree. I’m hoping they will send the activation code for me if this makes sense.

My understanding is the hardware is the same and the Lite is upgradable to a Mini by purchasing an activation code.

I think I just need @River City Offroad to send the activation code for me so I can punch it in via ZPU and I think I’ll be good to go.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I think the Mini and Lite are the same physical device, right?
Yes. It’s the software that’s different. This isn’t why you can upgrade a Lite to a Mini. You cannot go the other way and downgrade a Mininto a Lite.

Isn't the price indicative of a mini and not a lite. If they sent a lite without an activation code, I'm guessing they sent the wrong tazer.
Yes, the Mini is more expensive than the Lite. To be clear, the Lite does not need an activation code unless it is being upgraded to a Mini.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Yes. It’s the software that’s different. This isn’t why you can upgrade a Lite to a Mini. You cannot go the other way and downgrade a Mininto a Lite.

Yes, the Mini is more expensive than the Lite. To be clear, the Lite does not need an activation code unless it is being upgraded to a Mini.
Basically, paid for a mini and should have received a mini.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Basically, paid for a mini and should have received a mini.
Exactly.

And this is the exact reason why I personally only buy items like this from the company directly.

I’m not sure River City Off-road has or can obtain the activation code required to upgrade. Upgrading requires the serial number of the Tazer Lite and a purchase from Z-Automotive.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Exactly.

And this is the exact reason why I personally only buy items like this from the company directly.

I’m not sure River City Off-road has or can obtain the activation code required to upgrade. Upgrading requires the serial number of the Tazer Lite and a purchase from Z-Automotive.
Right, they have my serial number. I sent it to them. They can either punch it in to the ZAuto upgrade site, and send the activation key to me, or they could issue me a credit for the $125 and I’ll do the upgrade myself.

Inconvenient, and not great in terms of timing - but I’m hoping they get back to me tonight or first thing tomorrow AM either with the activation code or the credit to my card so I can be on my way.
Assuming it is resolved tonight/tomorrrow AM, the hassle will be worth the 10% savings from the sale they were running. If not easy to resolve, then I agree about buying direct (though $33 is a decent discount and @River City Offroad has been great to work with in the past).

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, they have my serial number. I sent it to them. They can either punch it in to the ZAuto upgrade site, and send the activation key to me, or they could issue me a credit for the $125 and I’ll do the upgrade myself.

Inconvenient, and not great in terms of timing - but I’m hoping they get back to me tonight or first thing tomorrow AM either with the activation code or the credit to my card so I can be on my way.
Assuming it is resolved tonight/tomorrrow AM, the hassle will be worth the 10% savings from the sale they were running. If not easy to resolve, then I agree about buying direct (though $33 is a decent discount and @River City Offroad has been great to work with in the past).
Mistakes happen. It is how they are handled which defines how good a company is with their customers.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Mistakes happen. It is how they are handled which defines how good a company is with their customers.
Bingo! I’ve dealt with them before and I’m sure they’ll do great to make it right.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I also bought the Mini for RiverCity with the discount. Mine says mini stamped on the box. Hope it's right can't test it. 392 isn't here yet. Will plug it back in the computer and see what info I get. I did do the firmware upgrade.

16230335251306244018318558715828.jpg

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I might have the same problem. When running the programming utility it does allow me to upgrade and wants a code. The utility should show if its a mini or lite but I don't see that.. This I think is a problem with Z Automotive, not River City

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I might have the same problem. When running the programming utility it does allow me to upgrade and wants a code. The utility should show if its a mini or lite but I don't see that.. This I think is a problem with Z Automotive, not River City
Interesting, I had also done the upgrade to the latest version. Maybe that is the issue?

Note - I also did a firmware restore and downgrade to v25 and that still did not resolve it.

Sponsored

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
Interesting, I had also done the upgrade to the latest version. Maybe that is the issue?

Note - I also did a firmware restore and downgrade to v25 and that still did not resolve it.
I sent a email to their support and will update this post. I do have a question. If I hook this up to my wifes18 JL to test for the mini options can I unmarry it and put in the 392 without having to pay a charge?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I sent a email to their support and will update this post. I do have a question. If I hook this up to my wifes18 JL to test for the mini options can I unmarry it and put in the 392 without having to pay a charge?
No charge.

When you connect to your wife’s JL, the first thing you’ll want to do is “Marry” the device.

When you’re done on hers, just “Unmarry” the device.

This is all done through the standard Tazer EVIC menu 👍

Also thought that I’d share that I woke up to an email from @River City Offroad from last night. They’re engaged and that’s quick support 👍

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Issue resolved.

ZAuto provided an activation key which I used through ZPU to upgrade back to Mini instead of Lite.

ZAuto indicated this is a known issue (losing Mini status and downgrading to Lite) that can occur at times when upgrading firmware.

Nothing to do with my order, just a Tazer firmware issue that can happen from time to time. ZAuto and River City were both prompt and helpful - thanks to both.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
Issue resolved.

ZAuto provided an activation key which I used through ZPU to upgrade back to Mini instead of Lite.

ZAuto indicated this is a known issue (losing Mini status and downgrading to Lite) that can occur at times when upgrading firmware.

Nothing to do with my order, just a Tazer firmware issue that can happen from time to time. ZAuto and River City were both prompt and helpful - thanks to both.
Thanks for the replies. I too woke up this morning and already had a response from Z Auto. I supplied the invoice from River City and had the code within a few minutes. Agree on the great support.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome to hear/read
Sponsored