Tazer front camera installation

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
Has anyone installed an aftermarket front camera or other electrical device that needs to run through the firewall? The unused clutch plug that is always recommended for passing wires through the firewall does not appear to exist on the 4xe. Any tips on an alternate route?
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
PLEASE tell me that you just missed seeing it because of shadows or something.

them making a new firewall just for the 4xe would really suck, as i have a bunch of wires that i will be moving from my 19 to the 4xe when i get it, and not having that hole & plug would SUCK.

if that hole is really gone, i also ran stuff through the grommet just above the passenger footwell, behind the dash.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Same boat just not with the 4xe, I have a MT so the clutch plug is being used. No idea where to go from there.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Just another thought, as i was lazy when i ran 1 wire. (I am not recommending this, but letting you know you can do it)

i ran 1 wire just under the cowl between the hood & the windshield, and then around the a pillar and in to the dash where the windshield frame meets the body of the jeep.

if you do this, you want the wire as thin as possible where it goes behind the weatherstripping. I also used split tubing to protect the wiring under the hood & cowl.

Skippy477

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
PLEASE tell me that you just missed seeing it because of shadows or something.

them making a new firewall just for the 4xe would really suck, as i have a bunch of wires that i will be moving from my 19 to the 4xe when i get it, and not having that hole & plug would SUCK.

if that hole is really gone, i also ran stuff through the grommet just above the passenger footwell, behind the dash.
The fire wall is definitely different. I tried to install a dead pedal in my 4xe and the bolt they normally attach to is inaccessible due to the differences in the firewall. I

Sponsored

OP
OP
cutandrun

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
Another tidbit: the honeycomb plastic behind the grill on the 4xe (and the 392) is not the same as regular (and diesel) Wranglers. It’s a larger pattern that looks the same as the Gladiator’s. I have ordered a JT version of the camera because the JL version does not fit. Here’s a diesel grill:

20200506_143543-jpg.jpg

...and here is a 4xe grill:
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer front camera installation C9FD2836-5B45-4AE2-BFA7-E9E6F39B239B
Sponsored