Sponsored

First sighting of 2020 Jeep JL Wrangler PHEV Plug-In Hybrid!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The MT guys will complain about this.
lol the last Manual Transmission hybrid was a Honda Civic from 15 years ago that only sold a handful. My old housemate had one and while I never drove it the best I could tell it drove more like an ESS vehicle rather than a full hybrid.
Sponsored

kahos

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport
lol the last Manual Transmission hybrid was a Honda Civic from 15 years ago that only sold a handful. My old housemate had one and while I never drove it the best I could tell it drove more like an ESS vehicle rather than a full hybrid.
The Honda CRZ was a hybrid with a manual transmission. It was sold for a few years in the early 2010s.

I'm a MT fan as well but EV/ PHEVs can be fun in their own way. Maximizing range/ efficiency becomes a bit of a game. Got to figure out when to coast, when to use regenerative braking. My volt had a steering wheel mounted paddle to trigger regen braking. In traffic, I'd hardly need to use the brake pedal.

It added a layer of (optional) driver involvement that you don't get with just a plain automatic. That car was great in traffic. With the instant torque of the electric motor it was deceptively fast.

I think the wrangler would make for a pretty good PHEV. It would be significantly more efficient for most people's short commutes and has the freedom / "unlimited" range of a gas motor.

Another perk of the Plug-in was that it would cool/heat the cabin off the electrical outlet using the "remote start" feature. In winter it would melt the snow off the windows pretty quickly and bring the cabin to a comfortable temperature before you'd even sit in it without wasteful idling.

If I can't shift my own gears, I'd gladly take the instant torque of an EV over a traditional automatic (or worse, a CVT)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The Honda CRZ was a hybrid with a manual transmission. It was sold for a few years in the early 2010s.

I'm a MT fan as well but EV/ PHEVs can be fun in their own way. Maximizing range/ efficiency becomes a bit of a game. Got to figure out when to coast, when to use regenerative braking. My volt had a steering wheel mounted paddle to trigger regen braking. In traffic, I'd hardly need to use the brake pedal.

It added a layer of (optional) driver involvement that you don't get with just a plain automatic. That car was great in traffic. With the instant torque of the electric motor it was deceptively fast.

I think the wrangler would make for a pretty good PHEV. It would be significantly more efficient for most people's short commutes and has the freedom / "unlimited" range of a gas motor.

Another perk of the Plug-in was that it would cool/heat the cabin off the electrical outlet using the "remote start" feature. In winter it would melt the snow off the windows pretty quickly and bring the cabin to a comfortable temperature before you'd even sit in it without wasteful idling.

If I can't shift my own gears, I'd gladly take the instant torque of an EV over a traditional automatic (or worse, a CVT)
I forgot about the CR-Z and how it had a manual option.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
On a Pacifica the electric motor feeds in via the transaxle, as it is front wheel drive. So they certainly won't be using the Pacifica transaxle. Some Jeeps with lesser trail capabilities will get an electric motor powered rear axle, but I can't see that in a Wrangler. I think the real driver here is China, as it is the world's biggest market for cars. FCA want to sell lots of Jeeps to China. And China adopted a modified version of CARB rules and is requiring that 12% of a manufacturers vehicles sold be Alternative Energy, such as Plug-in hybrids with a minimum of 50 KM electric only range. 50KM is 31.069 miles. It is no coincidence that the Pacifica's battery only range is 33 miles. Or that the new PEV Jeep Commander to be sold in China gets over 40 miles of E range, which I assume is using a larger battery pack. I am hoping they are able to find room to fit the larger Commando battery pack on the JLU at least, since they already have it. Another driver in the USA for this is money. FCA paid hefty fines to the Feds for not meeting fuel mileage goals, despite paying large sums to Tesla for credits. I'm sure they want to fix this situation. My opinions only.
You’re spot on. The European and Chinese regulations require a 50 km (31 mile) PHEV. FCA may seem late to the EV party (although the Pacifica PHEV is really good), but if you look at their roadmap, they seem to be offering many more plug-in models than GM or Ford. Hopefully those Chinese and Europe-bound Jeep PHEVs will come here to the US. It’s a bit disappointing when Ford announces they’ll build a PHEV Explorer in Chicago, but only sell it in the EU. Guess that’s more of a market for a PHEV Jeep Grand Cherokee/PHEV Wagoneer here.

Kmag88

First Name
Kristinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 JK
You’re spot on. The European and Chinese regulations require a 50 km (31 mile) PHEV. FCA may seem late to the EV party (although the Pacifica PHEV is really good), but if you look at their roadmap, they seem to be offering many more plug-in models than GM or Ford. Hopefully those Chinese and Europe-bound Jeep PHEVs will come here to the US. It’s a bit disappointing when Ford announces they’ll build a PHEV Explorer in Chicago, but only sell it in the EU. Guess that’s more of a market for a PHEV Jeep Grand Cherokee/PHEV Wagoneer here.
This may getting off-topic, but the Lincoln equivalent of the Explorer is supposed to be PHEV in the states. Lincoln isn't sold in Europe so that's why it will be marketed there as a Ford.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The MT guys will complain about this.
I won't complain. It's disappointing because I would be a perfect candidate for a PHEV (12-mile commute with free 4-hour charger at work). But I totally understand why this type of system should be automatic-only.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
This may getting off-topic, but the Lincoln equivalent of the Explorer is supposed to be PHEV in the states. Lincoln isn't sold in Europe so that's why it will be marketed there as a Ford.
Can’t wait to see what Jeep shows at the LA Auto Show. At a minimum, they said the PHEV Wrangler will debut. There was announcement today about the PHEV Renegade, which at this point is Europe-only.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Isn’t this suppose to be coming out soon? Any new info? @JlEngineline

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Our photographers have just spotted the PHEV (plug in hybrid) Jeep JL
That thing looks like it just had a colostomy. I want that feature.

DealerAddon.jpg

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Finally being revealed sometime at ces 2020 Jan 7-10th Vegas

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
I'm super bumbed this is supposed to be a 4banger and not the same v6 system from the pacifica hybrid.
Sponsored