Tazer Extension Cable not fitting

ehackler

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Has anyone had issues with the extension Cable fitting on the 2023's? I just bought a Diesel in December and decided to get the Tazer Extension cable to make the swap out easier for when taking to the dealership. The first cable I received would not mate up to the smaller side of the factory Harness so i reached out to ZAutomotive and they sent me a replacement. I got the replacement today and the same thing. The factory plut has no issues going into the tazer or the factory spot but the extension cable is not working. Anyone else had this?
Sponsored

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 4xe JLU
I had the same problem, then realized it is not the plugs right behind the OBD that I was to plug into, google for a video it is way up behind that harness almost up to the speaker on steering wheel side, removing the plastic under steering wheel helps a ton finding it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Has anyone had issues with the extension Cable fitting on the 2023's? I just bought a Diesel in December and decided to get the Tazer Extension cable to make the swap out easier for when taking to the dealership. The first cable I received would not mate up to the smaller side of the factory Harness so i reached out to ZAutomotive and they sent me a replacement. I got the replacement today and the same thing. The factory plut has no issues going into the tazer or the factory spot but the extension cable is not working. Anyone else had this?
@ehackler

User error...

You are not accessing the connectors at the Security Gateway! You are incorrectly fooling with the Amp connectors that reside below the Security Gateway connectors that you use with the Tazer JL.

Don't feel bad as many other's have done this too...

You want the connectors circled in the red below!
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Extension Cable not fitting gateway.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Extension Cable not fitting gateway001

OP
OP

ehackler

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
@ehackler

User error...

You are not accessing the connectors at the Security Gateway! You are incorrectly fooling with the Amp connectors that reside below the Security Gateway connectors that you use with the Tazer JL.

gateway.JPG
gateway001.jpeg

I wish it were user error but this is my 4th Tazer on JL/JT's and so I'm somewhat familiar with them. The plugs you are referring to are correct and I have pulled them down and have the tazer plugged into them as I have done with all of our Jeeps. The good news is I figured it out. After further investigation with a Magnifying glass, it looks as though the Pin holes on the ends were a bit clogged with Plastic which leads me to think this could have been done during the manufacturing process. I used a fine needle to clean them out and the plug goes in like butter as expected. Everything is working as expected now and there are no bent pins. All is good in the jeep world again.

Thanks again,

Sponsored

HDSlowride

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
I am having the same problem. And yes, I know where the correct cables/connections are. I had previously installed a Tazer and everything is working as it should. About six weeks ago, I ordered the SGW extension cable (not a knockoff) directly from Z Automotive. It was a bear getting the small end of the cable plugged into the original location but I finally got it and tied it up to be ready for an occasion that it might be needed.
I really doubt that my dealer cares if I have the Tazer, the only thing that I wanted it for was mainly to correct my speedometer/odometer when I put 35's on the Rubicon. But I had the need to order a new key fob (long story) and it occurred to me that the Tazer being in place might possibly interfere with the required communication to program my new key fob.
So I went out to pull the Tazer out and plug the cables into the SGW extention that I have in place. But the small side cable will absolutely not plug into the extension cable. On first glance, it looks as if it should plug up. It fits well about 3/4 of the way in and then just stops hard and won't go any further.
What is odd is that once I removed the extension cable from the jeep, the opposite ends of the extension cable will plug into itself, so it seems logical that the oem cable that I just unplugged from the Tazer would fit easily. But it just doesn't.
So two questions...any hints about the plug up, and two...does anyone know if a new key fob being programmed would require the Tazer to be out of the circuit?

AZDIESELRUBI

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I just installed the extension cable on my 2023 with no issues. The small plug takes some finessing to get it to in - getting it staright up and down is key and it can be challenging the in the tight space.

Prior to having my lift installed I had my wife disconnect the small pug as she has smaller hands - she earned her keep.

After the lift and the jeep siting a little taller it seemed easier to get the angle to depress the tabs or maybe they just were not as stiff after being removed a couple times.

On the other side I had no issues connecting the Tazer Mini to the extension cable.

AZDIESELRUBI

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I am having the same problem. And yes, I know where the correct cables/connections are. I had previously installed a Tazer and everything is working as it should. About six weeks ago, I ordered the SGW extension cable (not a knockoff) directly from Z Automotive. It was a bear getting the small end of the cable plugged into the original location but I finally got it and tied it up to be ready for an occasion that it might be needed.
I really doubt that my dealer cares if I have the Tazer, the only thing that I wanted it for was mainly to correct my speedometer/odometer when I put 35's on the Rubicon. But I had the need to order a new key fob (long story) and it occurred to me that the Tazer being in place might possibly interfere with the required communication to program my new key fob.
So I went out to pull the Tazer out and plug the cables into the SGW extention that I have in place. But the small side cable will absolutely not plug into the extension cable. On first glance, it looks as if it should plug up. It fits well about 3/4 of the way in and then just stops hard and won't go any further.
What is odd is that once I removed the extension cable from the jeep, the opposite ends of the extension cable will plug into itself, so it seems logical that the oem cable that I just unplugged from the Tazer would fit easily. But it just doesn't.
So two questions...any hints about the plug up, and two...does anyone know if a new key fob being programmed would require the Tazer to be out of the circuit?

Did you read the post right above yours?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the extension cable on my 2023 with no issues. The small plug takes some finessing to get it to in - getting it staright up and down is key and it can be challenging the in the tight space.

Prior to having my lift installed I had my wife disconnect the small pug as she has smaller hands - she earned her keep.

After the lift and the jeep siting a little taller it seemed easier to get the angle to depress the tabs or maybe they just were not as stiff after being removed a couple times.

On the other side I had no issues connecting the Tazer Mini to the extension cable.
Do read here ....
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/➿-security-gateway-extension-cable-use-explained-➿.111159/

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
@ehackler

User error...

gateway.JPG
gateway001.jpeg
Basically, if you don't draw blood, you're in the wrong place.

Sponsored

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

I just installed the extension cable for the Superchips module. Popping off the center panel below the steering wheel makes it much easier.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the extension cable for the Superchips module. Popping off the center panel below the steering wheel makes it much easier.
So.. you are plugging your hardware into the security gateway extension cable?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited