Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
Yes, but i think i figured it out. I thought something was up as I was using a 1.25amp tender - just went to nappa and grabbed a 10amp - already seeing some power back. I'm pretty sure the tazer is the culprit. Gonna pull it - I have the JL lite version. I reached out to Joe from Z - will see what's what.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but i think i figured it out. I thought something was up as I was using a 1.25amp tender - just went to nappa and grabbed a 10amp - already seeing some power back. I pretty sure the tazer is the culprit. Gonna pull it - i have the JL lite version. I reached out to Joe from Z - will see what's what.
I just used the tender to bring it back to a full charge to start my testing like I first did to keep things equal, so the first test was Tazer married but not plugged in but this time around it’s going to be plugged in, I’m sure if it starts to pull the voltage down and force it to charge at a higher rate I will see it as I have been watching my voltage daily

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Just pulled my resting voltages and running EVIC voltage and like before they have dropped after being off the tender, these are slightly higher than my first readings at the beginning of this test and I’m sure my readings tomorrow morning will be slightly lower

12.83 Main
12.83 N1
12.84 N2
12.7 EVIC
12.81 ESS

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
Got power back, JL would not start - unmarried the Tazer and it started up. Not sure - but proximity of Tazer install to issue is suspect. My hypothesis is some interference with remote start and a parasitic draw.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Got power back, JL would not start - unmarried the Tazer and it started up. Not sure - but proximity of Tazer install to issue is suspect. My hypothesis is some interference with remote start and a parasitic draw.
Ooooh, I like your hypothesis. So far, I cannot replicate the parasitic draw and I have a manual - i.e. no remote start

@joe@zauto

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
I’ve had my Tazer married and installed on my Jeep for over 2 months now, while using the live features. Haven’t had any problems with the Jeep starting, and we’ve had temperatures of -8. My voltage since I’ve been watching it always stays in 14.7-14.8. Haven’t ever seen it below that. I unmarried the Tazer 4 days ago and voltage has been the same as with the Tazer married and connected. Wish I would have checked the voltage on the Jeep when I first purchased it before installing the Tazer. I’m taking my Jeep into the dealership tomorrow to have them install some accessories that we purchased. While it’s there I’m going to have them check on the high voltage that I’m getting.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@CanAmMick I would be curious what they tell you,about the high voltage reading, maybe tell them you had to have it jumped started a few times and force them into actually putting a tester on the battery, otherwise they may tell you the voltage running high is normal

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Day 2

12.66 Main
12.67 N1
12.67 N2
13.0 EVIC on startup
12.67 ESS

Also tested remote start a few times and worked as designed, don’t have proximity entry so can’t test want I don’t have.

Today was as I’m hopeing it continues to be with the Tazer plugged in and using live features, well actually just one live feature and that is ESS disabled.

Rolling voltage approx 12.6-12.8 and ramps to over 14 when slowing down, ESS disengaged automatically on startup as designed, did test ESS for a few stops by pushing button to let it do its thing and engine shut off after stopping and powered what was on and upon restart ESS disengaged again as designed

So as I said today was as it should be but I am just staring to test with Tazer plugged in so we can only hope that voltages remain close to what they are with no Tazer plugged in.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure what, but something drained the battery. I have another possible thought and that is the Uconnect service....
Make sure to see that all your fuses are seated properly, what part of the Uconnect service do you think might be causing the issue, also getting a volt meter is a pretty valuable tool and allows you to check voltage right at the source as what is displayed in the EVIC is not the battery voltage isolated

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone with a manual experienced the parasitic draw? If not, I may dive in and marry mine back up, at least with 11.0.6.

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
Make sure to see that all your fuses are seated properly, what part of the Uconnect service do you think might be causing the issue, also getting a volt meter is a pretty valuable tool and allows you to check voltage right at the source as what is displayed in the EVIC is not the battery voltage isolated
Good call and thanks. Did this yesterday - found several fuses loose that needed to be clicked in! I had the battery tested this morning at the dealer (will get the actual reading and report back). Do you have recommendation for volt reader?

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Good call and thanks. Did this yesterday - found several fuses loose that needed to be clicked in! I had the battery tested this morning at the dealer (will get the actual reading and report back). Do you have recommendation for volt reader?
You can get a cheapie meter at like Harbor Freight but I chose to get one that cost alittle more, I purchased a Klein MM400 digital meter from Amazon and it’s perfect and will read two digits past the decimal so you will get an exact voltage

36E5D6D5-FB22-4120-A92B-FEC875F254C7.jpeg
Sponsored