Sponsored

Tazer JL 11.07 LAST CALL - LAST CALL !!

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
So for what it's worth, my battery was dead this morning. I installed the Tazer lite on the December 30th (older rev -11.02 or 03 I think). None the less, just after install I noticed remote start acting strange (1 beep, no start) a few hours after install. I ran a reboot, and it worked again. 2 days later, battery dead. I assumed some parasitic draw, like key fob proximity for example. I was able to get the battery power back with a trickle charger and all electronic systems returned, but my Jeep would not start (with button, manual button RFID, or remote start). I then unmarried the tazer, and it started just fine - everything now reverted back (and removed). That said, not sure it's Tazer related, but the proximity of the install to the issue is suspect. I also wonder if the lite unit had some wort of draw. The settings changed were tire size and ESS kill. I have a MOAB (sahara) w/ 8/4" screen if that helps.
Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is really strange and waiting for my Jeep to not start.

I have the original TAZER JL, 2 piece, married and plugged in all of the time.

Daily driver, but sometimes it won't be used for 5 days in a row.

ESS kill, tires, aux switches, Nav all checked on 11.0.7.

Have not had a problem since I plugged it in about 9 months ago.

Voltage at 14.0-14.7 all of the time.

I wonder what the difference is?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Do you have a manual? Also, the loop issue or power drain still might not be the Tazer. It may be the Uconnect. Do you have Travel Link?

Kentpickle

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JLU Rubicon
Do you have a manual? Also, the loop issue or power drain still might not be the Tazer. It may be the Uconnect. Do you have Travel Link?
Pretty sure it has to be the Tazer, how would you explain the battery being dead 2 days after installing the Tazer and never having a single problem prior to that.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure it has to be the Tazer, how would you explain the battery being dead 2 days after installing the Tazer and never having a single problem prior to that.
I can't, but that still isn't 100% that it is the Tazer. There was an article in US News & World Report about this very thing happening with many JL's and also some Cherokees. They referred to it as occuring with the latest Uconnect on some 2017 and 2018 models. I guarantee few, if any, of the ones they are referring to even have the Tazer.

I'm not saying it isn't the Tazer, and I'm not saying it is. In fact, I'm very suspicious of the Tazer right now, so I've been hesitating to re-install and remarry mine. I just am pointing out that the evidence isn't conclusive just yet. There are people right here in this forum with the Tazer that have had the problem, and some who have not, as well.

One thing is for sure. This Uconnect version has got some quirks. Remember when Jeep disabled Travel Link for a couple days? The endless loop was the issue they were trying to diagnose.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Auto and yes on Travel Link.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am currently doing voltage checks with the Tazer married and installed and just finished up my voltage checks with the Tazer married but not plugged in and so far the voltages are very close, this is not to say that there may not be a minimal parasitic draw by the unit or that the Uconnect system is waking the Tazer up is vice versa.

It may take some time for the parasitic draw if there is one to show up so time will tell but I do know from reading some articles that Uconnect had some issues that caused looping and power drain issues

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
I didn't know about the In motion draining the battery. I will turn this off and see if it helps. Otherwise may be selling a Tazer JL pretty soon.

Kentpickle

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JLU Rubicon
I didn't know about the In motion draining the battery. I will turn this off and see if it helps. Otherwise may be selling a Tazer JL pretty soon.
Where did you hear in motion was the cause of draining batteries? Im still trying to figure out what the cause is. I haven't plugged mine back on yet but it's still married.

Sponsored

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Where did you hear in motion was the cause of draining batteries? Im still trying to figure out what the cause is. I haven't plugged mine back on yet but it's still married.
I only had the battery drain once so far and I'm on 11.06. I read up above about in motion causing issues. Am I wrong?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Has there been any info on when 11.07 is scheduled to go GA?

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250

Were I the same boat as you. No issues whatsoever with the Original Tazer in our Jeep. We had a led light hiccup but that was the bulbs themselves.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ar15rifle

And you also see this > "Voltage at 14.0-14.7 all of the time." ??

--------------

When I had my Tazer JL and Tazer JL Min (I have had both) installed, the JL always ran voltage at 14.0-14.7 all of the time. I had a battery depletion, one time requiring that I jump start the JL.

Anyway, removed the Tazer about 4 weeks ago and have driven 4,000 mi. +. Not once has the voltage reading gone above 13.5 per 8.4 radio, Off Road Pages, display. I monitor closely.

This alone, tells me something is a muck lets say. I do not need to monitor my JL with a voltage meter to know this.

I was running 11.0.6 firmware. The issues, happened with the Tazer JL and the Tazer JL Mini.

My Tazer JL Mini is unmarried, and is still sitting in a drawer in the garage. I can't risk getting stranded due to battery depletion. Yes, I miss using the Tazer JL Min, Live Features, but ..............

Sponsored