thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just figured out my start stop issue. It seemed completely random as reported to me. It had happened 2 times to me as well. I have the start stop turned off via the Tazer JL it has been working great and love the Tazer and it's options. Randomly the start stop would not work..turn itself back on. I believe I have isolated and can replicate in my case. It turns off start stop kill if I use the remote start. It also will not stay off when pressing the kill button engine starts back up when you press the button but at next light it turns off again. Does anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@thecritter

I have been running the TazerJL since May. Can tell you that your remote start idea is coincidence.

Can tell you that I and others have posted on the forum in the past that intermittently (rarely) the TazerJL does not disable the ESS.

Actually, if you are paying attention when the ESS disable hiccups, you will see that the ESS light does has not on.

Joe at ESS told me in a past email correspondence that this hiccup is related to a "timing issue". I believe he addressed this timing issue in firmware 11.0.5 which will be released in it's final form in the upcoming weeks.

Note: When you press the run button on the the JL to start it, DO let the JL start to run and do not take the JL out of park until you see the ESS light, light up. Do this for two reasons.... It gives time for the backup camera to boot-up, for the ESS to disable and for the Uconnect radio to boot up in general and accomplish all the settings it is supped to do at start up.

Do as I suggest and you will be less apt to have backup camera hiccups, ESS disable hiccups and more.

By the way, best best if you have the rare ESS did not disable hiccup is to just leave things alone. Do not push the ESS button...Next restart ESS will be disabled.

In closing.. expect to see disable ESS and disable Auto Park to be lets say timed differently with upcoming firmware 11.0.5.

As for the rare hiccups with ESS disable.. no bigge to me as they are rare...

attn. @joe@zauto

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@thecritter

Also, after you get in the JL after remote start, place foot on brake, push the start button and then wait for the ESS button light to come on before you take the JL out of park. As mentioned you are dancing around timing issues, so give the system a chance to boot up and get up to speed snuff.

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@thecritter

Also, after yo get in the JL after remote start, place foot on brake, push the start button and then wait for the ESS button light to come on before you take the JL out of park. As mentioned you are dancing around timing issues, so give the system a chance to boot up and get up to speed snuff.
Wow thanks for all the info. It is amazing how everything is tied together and we need to wait on a vehicle to "boot up". Again the Tazer is awesome no complaint just putting info out there. I did not want to put out another ESS complaint thread.

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
One thing I have noticed is that my OBDII Extender cable caused the ESS to not turn off. The live functions showed that it was off, but until I connected the Tazer directly to the port it would not turn itself off.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I have noticed is that my OBDII Extender cable caused the ESS to not turn off. The live functions showed that it was off, but until I connected the Tazer directly to the port it would not turn itself off.
Which OBDll extender cable are you using?

I know most here that are using such an extender cable are using two different offerings. I have seen no issues with the extender I use and you are the first to say they had an issue. I have had the extender cable since 7/10.

I seriously doubt that an extension cable is the issue. I would mark this up as coincidence.

The rare hiccup with disable ESS will undoubtedly happen with or without an extension cable.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@Rhinebeck01 can you supply a link to the extender. I assume this is the one contraction I saw someone use so you can tuck the Tazer up and out of the way instead of protruding down and possibly get kicked?

Also I had the ESS issue happen once to me randomly. No issues since at all.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 can you supply a link to the extender. I assume this is the one contraction I saw someone use so you can tuck the Tazer up and out of the way instead of protruding down and possibly get kicked?

Also I had the ESS issue happen once to me randomly. No issues since at all.
I'd go with this extender cable. 12" long and the OBDll connector faces in a direction that lets say works better with the plastics///does not rub or press on plastics. Allows you to hide/secure the TazerJL up under the dash.

Be sure to only order from the amazon vendor "Mobile Computing Solutions" on the lower right of the amazon ad. That vendor ships right away and no back order.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYH9COE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, buy some 2" x 4" velcro for securing the TazerJL and bypass module up under the dash.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 thanks for the tip on making sure to wait on the system to boot, I am one of those that just pushes the button and goes. My Taser has shipped and looking forward to turning off ESS and adjusting for those larger tires to get my speedo back inline after my boost and larger tires

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
Which OBDll extender cable are you using?

I know most here that are using such an extender cable are using two different offerings. I have seen no issues with the extender I use and you are the first to say they had an issue. I have had the extender cable since 7/10.

I seriously doubt that an extension cable is the issue. I would mark this up as coincidence.

The rare hiccup with disable ESS will undoubtedly happen with or without an extension cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGLVXG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was very weird. With cable plugged in, trac and ess didn't change. Plugged directly in, works perfectly.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGLVXG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was very weird. With cable plugged in, trac and ess didn't change. Plugged directly in, works perfectly.
Maybe that particular extender cable is problematic.... or at least the one you got. I don't think anyone is using that particular one.

IF you would like an extender cable, get the one I posted a link to or the other extension mentioned in this thread. I have used both and they work without any issues. Others here have used them without issue also.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
When I reprogrammed mine about 2 weeks ago my start/stop didn’t work correctly. Once I did this it started working:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Some settings require two sleep/wake cycles. The quickest way to do this is to turn the ignition off, open and close the driver’s door. Wait about 60 seconds AFTER the dash goes dark, then re-enter. Do this twice.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Interesting. I used to have sporadic issues, too, and was using an extender. I then switched to a different extender that @Rhinebeck01 recommended and since doing that it's been rock solid.

I think there's something to this extender theory...

This one gave me issues (awkward side exit of cable, plus sporadic ESS): http://a.co/4hcKCHx
This one is working great: http://a.co/7792nPQ
Sponsored